Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
15% Ethanol
07/17/12 at 22:46:43

Some gas stations are already selling 15% ethanol gasoline. This is bad news for motorcycles with carburetors, the ethanol stuff glues them shut & clogs jets. This is the 10% stuff, 15% will be much worse.

For real gas go here  http://pure-gas.org/

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 15% Ethanol
Reply #1 - 07/18/12 at 05:14:07

The current drought conditions are devatating to the farmers and this years corn crop is already dead in many areas.  The news reports are already predicting shortages......so hopefully the corn that does survive will be used for feed and food and the ethanol supply will dry up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #2 - 07/18/12 at 05:21:04

Has anybody tried that ethanol stabilizer stuff?

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/18/12 at 06:08:18

No way dude, the ethanol....big oil guys get the corn first. Think about it for a min. its a win win for everyone but the farmers.

1. Higher priced corn. higher priced ethanol.....higher priced GAS!!

2. Higher priced corn. higher priced food...........cargill and there ilk win.

Bad cad, the marine stabil works the blue stuff.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/18/12 at 15:19:31

Starlifter wrote on 07/17/12 at 22:46:43:
Some gas stations are already selling 15% ethanol gasoline. This is bad news for motorcycles with carburetors, the ethanol stuff glues them shut & clogs jets. This is the 10% stuff, 15% will be much worse.

For real gas go here  http://pure-gas.org/

LOL!  In the entire state of Texas, they listed 90 stations with ethanol-free gas.  Nothing anywhere near me.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #5 - 07/18/12 at 15:30:24

Yes, there are no stations listed near me here in Michigan either...But, there may be someone here who will find the information useful.
The point of the post is that they are ramping up the ethanol content of gas and we need to be aware of this.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 07/18/12 at 15:39:15

Starlifter wrote on 07/18/12 at 15:30:24:
Yes, there are no stations listed near me here in Michigan either...But, there may be someone here who will find the information useful.
The point of the post is that they are ramping up the ethanol content of gas and we need to be aware of this.

I got that and appreciate the effort.  I was just amused at how difficult it is to locate any of the good stuff.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/18/12 at 16:08:32

I live in a area with a lot of boats,I can get the 87 octane 12 miles from me so I do my grocery shopping in that town,Theres other stations with the 93 octane.I was paying the same as midgrade the last time it was same as the high grade.Up until 4 years ago the whole county was 100% gas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/18/12 at 16:48:42

My bike has never had straight gasoline in it. Has always been fed at the minimum E-10.

You don't need to buy that fancy blue crap, stuff you likely have at home already works fine in mine. A splash of automatic transmission fluid every couple tanks when you remember. Have only plugged a jet once, and that was from sitting for a couple years after my back got damaged. Prior to that, no carb problems other than the built in ones...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #9 - 07/19/12 at 18:42:28

"Sta-Bil" (the red stuff) sells a "Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment" (same style bottle blue stuff.)...don't know if works well or is just another gasoline additive that doesn't do anything, but the "Sta-Bil" red stuff really works well for winter storage.

Gold Eagle Ethanol Treatment

A new formula designed to prevent corrosion from moisture and ethanol induced water attraction
Best ethanol problem fighter with more than four times the fuel system cleaner than regualr Sta-Bil
Contains twice the corrosion prevention than Sta-Bil, as well as two non-alcohol water removers
Designed for use with every fill up in all 2-4 stroke marine engines running gasoline, gas-oil mixtures, and ethanol blends
Can also be used as a safe storage treatment in snowmobiles, motorcycles, motor homes, and all outdoor power equipment including tractors and lawn mowers
8 oz. treats up to 80 gallons and 32 oz. treats up to 320 gallons

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/19/12 at 21:27:44

Not only do we have THREE nut & bolt shops,, we have an ethanol free station,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 07/19/12 at 22:08:52

As I stated in another thread, non-ethanol stations are popping up all around here in NE Ms and NW Alabama. They have big banners out front announcing at least a pump or two with non-e. And they stay backed up or out most of the time. About the corn: I believe Ethanol is made mostly from what we call "field corn" here in the South. Corn for humans is usually what we call "sweet corn". Now if farmers can make more on selling Ethanol corn, I can't blame them. However, if they sell their cattle and produce mostly Ethanol type corn, beef will go up imo. The question is not growing enough sweet corn for food. A small percentage goes for the Green Giant kind. But the field corn used for feeding livestock is important to our meat supply. I realize this is an oversimplification, but it is hardly ever explained this way on the evening news. Just my opinion on the matter.  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/20/12 at 16:39:48

Many acres of what Was used for sweet corn is now used for field corn, or so I hear.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 19:25:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › 15% Ethanol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.