Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new rings, honed jug, rejetting... runs terribly (Read 110 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
new rings, honed jug, rejetting... runs terribly
07/17/12 at 19:16:55

I've got a problem.  I'm trying to jet my pilot, but the 50, 52.5, and 55 all run like nuts and won't idle well.

I just replaced my glazed rings, rehoned my cylinder, lapped my valves at a machine shop, and put it back together.  The jug is torqued to spec, the valves are adjusted, the carb boot and seal are tight and true, new exhaust gasket, new vacuum tube cap, and new spark plug.  I set the cam lobes down with the timing marks set on TDC.

I'm running the standard Mikuni carb w/o any filter (the pod came unglued and didn't change the way it ran, so I left it off) and a lightly baffled HD muffler welded and sealed to my exhaust pipe. I've got a 155 main, 2/3 spacer, and 10 mm cut from the slide spring to stop backfiring.  

Right now I'm trying to jet for idle. I've tried the 50, 52.5, and 55 jets.  All three will run if left alone but run like nuts; the 50 lumps horribly, the 55 runs bubbly and self-detonates on and on after shutdown, and though the 52.5 runs more evenly than the rest, the fuel adjustment screw doesn't do much at all and it self-detonates a bang or two after the ignition is cut. I can only get a lumpy 900-ish RPM  Huh with any of these jets with the throttle adjustment screw fully turned.  Cleaned and left on idle, the plug comes out dry and black as a coal mine.

On shutdown I get smoke pouring from the carb.  I removed the carb and there's a condensation of gas in the port.  I turned it over without the carb and the bike backfired into the port.  I held my hand in front of the port while I cranked and it feels as though the intake valves are letting air out.

WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE!?  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: new rings, honed jug, rejetting... runs terrib
Reply #1 - 07/17/12 at 19:28:16

to me it sounds like either the valves are not adjusted right or more likely when you put the timing chain back on you got it off by a tooth or two.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/17/12 at 21:19:14

Bobbert wrote on 07/17/12 at 19:16:55:
I'm running the standard Mikuni carb w/o any filter (the pod came unglued and didn't change the way it ran, so I left it off) and a lightly baffled HD muffler welded and sealed to my exhaust pipe. I've got a 155 main, 2/3 spacer, and 10 mm cut from the slide spring to stop backfiring.
the 10mm cut maybe throwing off your idle jetting.

Quote:
Right now I'm trying to jet for idle. I've tried the 50, 52.5, and 55 jets.  All three will run if left alone but run like nuts; the 50 lumps horribly, the 55 runs bubbly and self-detonates on and on after shutdown, and though the 52.5 runs more evenly than the rest, the fuel adjustment screw doesn't do much at all and it self-detonates a bang or two after the ignition is cut. I can only get a lumpy 900-ish RPM  Huh with any of these jets with the throttle adjustment screw fully turned.  Cleaned and left on idle, the plug comes out dry and black as a coal mine.
I'd say way over rich

Quote:
On shutdown I get smoke pouring from the carb.  I removed the carb and there's a condensation of gas in the port.  I turned it over without the carb and the bike backfired into the port.  I held my hand in front of the port while I cranked and it feels as though the intake valves are letting air out.

Backfired or farted?

classic sign of cam out of time though.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 07/17/12 at 21:30:03

verslagen1 wrote on 07/17/12 at 21:19:14:
Bobbert wrote on 07/17/12 at 19:16:55:
the 10mm cut maybe throwing off your idle jetting.

Quote:
I'd say way over rich

Quote:

Backfired or farted?

classic sign of cam out of time though.

I'm going to fix the cam first, then check the pilot jet.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #4 - 07/17/12 at 22:40:27

probably a stupid suggestion, but the condition of the shut-off (idle) valve in carb. once he jammed on my bike. and signs were similar to yours.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 07/19/12 at 23:56:05

wambr wrote on 07/17/12 at 22:40:27:
probably a stupid suggestion, but the condition of the shut-off (idle) valve in carb. once he jammed on my bike. and signs were similar to yours.

DUDE. Not at all.  Turns out I left out the spring in the deceleration valve and it was flooding the hell out of my carb!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/20/12 at 00:05:33

Bobbert wrote on 07/19/12 at 23:56:05:
Turns out I left out the spring in the deceleration valve and it was flooding the hell out of my carb!

cool, you got it fixed then.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #7 - 07/20/12 at 00:42:08

[/quote] DUDE. Not at all.  Turns out I left out the spring in the deceleration valve and it was flooding the hell out of my carb! [/quote]
well, that's good! casket-then just opened (as Russians say) Smiley

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/20/12 at 00:45:07

Parts, left over from a carb rebuild, is an immediate sign of trouble.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:32:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new rings, honed jug, rejetting... runs terribly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.