Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
How hot is too hot?  (oil war again) (Read 913 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: How hot is too hot?  (oil war again)
Reply #75 - 07/19/12 at 15:14:11

To try to answer the Original Poster's question. As far as the motorcycle is concerned, there isn't any ambient temperature likely to be too hot, at least until the gasoline in the tank starts to bubble out.
As far as you yourself are concerned, you have to judge whether you think you'll get heatstroke.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #76 - 07/19/12 at 16:13:36

As long as you are moving the bike doesn't seem to be overly affected by heat, other than the fuel system. Temps much over 100*F and mine gets parked, even the liquid cooled ones. Hot air is thin air which makes for a lean fuel charge. So your bike runs even hotter than usual.

It's an ancient Harley trick, but if you are going to be riding in consistent temps over 90-95*F, go up a jet size. Compensates for the thinner summer air.

It works. Why? Ask Lancer, he's the carb guru.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #77 - 07/19/12 at 18:16:37

Vergys still got that old klotz oil thats true love.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: How hot is too hot?
Reply #78 - 07/19/12 at 18:29:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/17/12 at 13:02:45:

No, to be bullet-proof for heat put some Rotella T-6 in your crankcase and jest go on and ride the biatch.

The oil and your bike will be good for any temp your Savage can get up to without degrading the oil (or giving your bike heat indigestion).

When it is very hot outside, check your oil more frequently as you will consume more oil in the hot summer months.

The newbies question was answered in the very next post.    If you are worried about heat and your engine, get a heat proof synthetic oil.   With something like Rotella T-6 in your sump you need not sweat idling the engine in the heat or the other popular forms of bike abuse -- the oil is good for temperatures beyond what the Savage can reach.

Now you can't say this for dino oils, no matter what the brand.   And you can't say it for all synthetics either.

===================

Bill is over there having a little victory dance for himself, having awarded himself a "win" because I won't buy his $15 a quart oil of any variety or sort, I would not even do it in his own little private reality where he lives.   Not ever gonna happen, not even in his imagination.

Hey Bill, you finally "won" ..... feels GOOD doesn't it?

Tell us all about it -- hey, when is the campaign and the slinky girls gonna arrive?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #79 - 07/19/12 at 18:44:02

OF if he gets Klotz a heat proof synthetic oil should he get their diesel or motorcycle oil.

Bill, can you make a recommendation, since you are the only person on this list that buys and uses Klotz oil?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #80 - 07/19/12 at 19:23:55

Yes I can use only Klotz motorcycle oil in a motorcycle forget the diesel.If you have a diesel engine then use the diesel oil in car truck or what ever.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #81 - 07/19/12 at 19:33:11

As far as high temperatures, the airlines stop operations when the airport temperature exceeds 120 F. It isn't because the airplanes won't fly, but because there are no published performance figures above that temperature. High temperature reduces air density, which reduces engine power and wing lift.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #82 - 07/19/12 at 19:39:46

Myself as long as it's rated MA, JASO and has the required amount of ZDDP in it and doesn't have the friction modifiers I would have to test the oil by using it to see which worked best for my bike on keeping temps and wear in check.  I have no issues with doing oil analysis when picking an oil and also finding out the required change interval on a new to me vehicle.  Although I don't go through the entire index of oils to find one either.  I normally pick from known good oils and go from there. I haven't done any oil analyst on the Savage because 1 the interval of change is so quick regardless of the type of oil you use, simply because of the small capacity oil filtration system and small oil sump, and 2 full syn Rotella is a know good oil in Air cooled motorcycles and has been tested by others already to have the lowest running temps on our big single.  The lower temps tells us that using this oil also means it creates less friction in our big single then the rest that were tested. Now if another oil that was tested showed better results then Full Syn Rotella I would use that instead even if it cost more, but as there hasn't been an oil tested that shows better performance I will stick with the Full Syn Rotella and enjoy the added benefit of it also being very low cost.  Smiley

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #83 - 07/19/12 at 21:10:38

What rfw said.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #84 - 07/20/12 at 08:33:09

I know when its time to change oil. Consumption rate goes up.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #85 - 07/21/12 at 02:14:39

I would imagine the bike would let you know if it's getting too hot before doing damage via sluggishness and wonky sounds. I notice my valves make more noise when I idle for extended periods in high heat. This air cooled engine is well engineered to take heat abuse. That is part of the beauty and fun of riding an air cooled, needs to keep moving at some point. Your calves will be burning out before the engine does. None the less use a few tricks to keep her cool like coasting up to red lights, not coming to an abrupt stop after interstate speeds, and taking the bike on ginger cruising passes after high temp situations.

On an interesting side note the situation makes me think of the Steerman Red Baron Squadron that used to frequent air shows. The planes were powered by air cooled radial engines. In tight loops, turns, and such maneuvers the pilot would have the throttle well open to have the engine pulling a lot of power but at a considerably low air speed. After a few passed, a formation would trade off with the other half of the squadron. The planes seeking relief would level off and cruise straight across the sky getting air flow across their engines to bring the temp down. And my goodness... did they sound great while doing it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 15:28:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How hot is too hot?  (oil war again)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.