Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
How hot is too hot?  (oil war again) (Read 913 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: How hot is too hot?
Reply #30 - 07/18/12 at 13:13:04

verslagen1 wrote on 07/18/12 at 12:13:06:
bill67 wrote on 07/18/12 at 12:01:07:
Vers you and Of know which motorcycle engine fell apart use Roddela oil,It's your guys oil so show the people here again.

It's your (false) claim, prove it or shut the hell up.

You and OF are crying in your beer. :'(

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 07/18/12 at 13:14:20

Ol' Billip knows what that the beer crying feels like, fer shure

Grin

Now now, let's not get testy with 'ol BungaloBill -- he's done been shot up so bad over so many oil wars I'm not sure if he's even all there any more.

He mighta coulda have mebbe thought he might coulda have seen something, and to him that might be real enough to prompt his post.

Cavi Mike however mighta coulda shoulda get painted a wee bit with the BS brush for the following statement:

"I'll tell you what, I scoured the web for hours and couldn't find anything saying the Rotella had its MA certification but someone on here showed it to me. It's actually suitable for wet-clutch bikes."

Typing just "Rotella MA certification" into Google yields about 489,000 results (in 0.83 seconds no less).  Try it, you will be amazed at the net party that the MA announcement kicked off.   We here on the list were in the mist of yet another strongly fought oil war when I suddenly surprised everybody when I suddenly caved in and agreed with the opposition that we should only be using approved motorcycle oils in our Savages here on the list.  

They were totally shocked that they had finally won one .....  

(then the news hit)    Grin

me bad, me bad, me very very bad

Grin    Grin    Grin

"I wonder why people started using Rotella in the first place... " is a fair question.  There used to be a commonly used motorcycle oil weight called 20w40 which predated 10w40 and was recommended by Yamaha and others for their bikes.   When 20w40 fell into disuse, the various brands began recommending you sub in 15w40 HDEO's to fill that bill since they were readily available on the market.   Folks quickly found Rotella T products simply did a better job than the old 20W40 oils had been doing because the base oil and additive packages that were in it kept engines clean and very very well lubricated.   The racer boys lead the charge into HDEO adaptation (their engines lasted longer before having to be torn down) But it was the Gold Wing Boys that got the MA added to the Rotella label by their endless endless requests to Shell Oil company.

Heavy Duty Engine Oil is what HDEO stands for, and originally it wasn't thought of as just for diesels (Billipshooter has been saying that again, hasn't he?) but HDEO was a general engine classification that was used in the most severe and stress filled applications.

Yup, gas engines used to be common in tractors, vans, army vehicles etc. coming out of WWII -- the total dieselification of all these heavy vehicles didn't take place until diesel injector technology advanced to the high pressure rail system that is in use today.   The old mechanical injector systems were complicated, fragile and too expensive to maintain.

Nowadays the HDEO oils have to pass a battery of tests that is both EXHAUSTIVE and TOUGH, much much more so than the SAE tests required of motorcycle and car engines.

It is better oil, so why wouldn't you use it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 07/18/12 at 13:19:53

Theres better oil and theres the best oil  Klotz

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #33 - 07/18/12 at 13:24:23

bill67 wrote on 07/18/12 at 13:19:53:
Theres better oil and theres the best oil  Klotz

And your proof would be? Post the links to it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: How hot is too hot?  (oil war again)
Reply #34 - 07/18/12 at 13:30:04

Over 40 years of using it is enough proof for me.If you want to use cheap oil,Then do it.

hee hee    Bill, Klotz for 4 strokes has only been available for 10 years.  
Tell the nice people all about your 30 years of 2 stroke snowmobile experience ....

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #35 - 07/18/12 at 13:31:42

BECAUSE .....

In head to head comparison tests done here on the list in the Savage engine Klotz didn't do as well as Rotella T-6, the head ran hotter, the cases ran hotter, the oil consumption was the same (or mebbe slightly worse) using Klotz.

The man who did all these tests tested every brand of synthetic oil that could maybe help his bike with its oil drinking problems.   He was on a mission, that one -- he paid for cases and cases of expensive Amisols and Klotzs and he ran the entire case out while keeping daily data on temps in 3 different places (that he published and we on the list analysed together).

Bill decided about that time that FACTS and DATA were not his friend, and now he runs away shrieking when anyone plunks down a fact in front of him.   Data gives him a rash that lasts for weeks ....

He can't find any supporting data, he can't find his posts he refers to and he begs his opposition to go dig up his data for him because to him FACTS are like garlic to a vampire.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #36 - 07/18/12 at 13:36:11

What brand of oil was Vergy using before he did his so called test.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 07/18/12 at 14:27:02

bill67 wrote on 07/18/12 at 13:36:11:
What brand of oil was Vergy using before he did his so called test.

Klotz, it burned up my counter balencer bearings.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #38 - 07/18/12 at 14:31:43

Saying something like "Over 40 years of using it is enough proof for me." isn't much proof. I can rephase it into "Over 40 years of NOT using it is enough proof for me." My statement is completely truthful, and I can use it to imply that I have neatly avoided any problems Klotz might have caused.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #39 - 07/18/12 at 14:43:50

Over 40 years of not using diesel oil(Rotella)And my statement is completely truthful I have very neatly avoided any problems it might of caused.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #40 - 07/18/12 at 14:54:41

And, during that same 40 year period of time hundreds and hundreds and hundreds (10's of thousands ???) of four stroke bike riders of all brands and types have been using Rotella products and singing their praises about how well the Rotella stuff works in four stroke motorcycles ....

Grin    Grin    Grin

AND now, Bill, since you brought the cost point up on your very own   (since I won't kick a Billium when he's down -- no more than necessary anyway)  let's talk some about that cost thing a bit since YOU brought it up.

Bill, you can go first, I think you need all the windage you can wiggle up for on this one ....

=======================

Verslagen, you spent all the money on all the different cases of brands of oil and you ran the tests and you had to fix the engines when they broke on you -- after all that personal experience which oil do you use now?

Charon, you were one of the well informed and honorable opposition back when the oil wars first started -- which oil do you use now?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 07/18/12 at 15:20:45

OF did you know Klotz has been making 4 cycle motorcycle oil for over 40 years.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #42 - 07/18/12 at 15:37:51

Since you asked, Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in my 250 Ninja. I have Yamaha branded 10W-40 in my 250 Star, only because it was still under warranty at 600 miles and I figured, were there to be any problems, using Yamaha oil might help with the claim. Next oil change it'll get Rotella, probably the synthetic.

The S40 got some variety of 10W-40, Havoline I think, at its 600 mile and its 4K oil change. At about 6000 I arbitrarily changed to Rotella 15W-40, even though I usually run oil to the maker-recommended intervals. At the 7500 change, Rotella 15W-40, and again at the 11000 mile change. At both 7500 and 11K I checked the valve clearances, and didn't have to adjust them. So I guess Bill is right when he says if you use a quality oil the valves stay in adjustment.

My Ninja got Rotella 5W-40 at 600 miles, and again at 6K. At 6K the valves were in spec, so the quality oil must be working.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 07/18/12 at 15:41:54

bill67 wrote on 07/18/12 at 15:20:45:
OF did you know Klotz has been making 4 cycle motorcycle oil for over 40 years.

What prompts you to make this statement, Bill?  

Offer up something to back up the statement, please.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 07/18/12 at 15:44:47

OF you back up your statement that they only been making 10 years.

Well, it took him long enough !!!!    Wave a hook with a wigglin' worm in front of him long enough and he'll eventually sure enough go canabalize it !!!

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:32:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How hot is too hot?  (oil war again)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.