New Savage Dying (Read 387 times)
Claite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Savage Dying
07/17/12 at 11:38:00

Hello all,

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about motorcycles, so I'll try my best to explain what happened.

Yesterday, I went to ride my new 2012 Suzuki Savage, with <150 miles on it. I turned it on with the choke, let it run for ~30 seconds, pushed in the choke, left it running for 3 minutes, then hopped on and head off. I got on the on ramp, got up to 60 mph, and it just dies, and I have to pull off the road.

It took several minutes to get it on again. I hear it trying to ignite, but wouldn't catch. I checked the gas, still had plenty, checked the oil, still full. I flipped it to prime, tried to turn it on, and that didn't do much. I put it to reserve and tried, still no luck. Put it back to "on", and played with the throttle while trying to turn it on, and it eventually worked.

I went about 1 mile, and it started sputtering and dies again. This happened another 2 times on my way to work.

I'm not sure what's wrong. My dad suggested it might be that I didn't let it warm up enough, so I left it on even longer on idle at the end of my work day, rode it around lightly in the garage, but as soon as I got to a slight hill in the parking lot, it died.

Anyone have suggestions of what could be wrong, or what might have caused what happened? The seller told me "just ride it" when I asked him about what I should be careful about in the first few hundred miles, and I'm afraid that that advice is what got me in this pickle. I don't have an odometer, so it's also hard to imagine how I'd keep it under a certain RPM.

Thanks all

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New Savage Dying
Reply #1 - 07/17/12 at 11:45:09

Thats abnormal,, & unsafe. Take it back & tell them to fix it,
You can know your RPM by looking at the speedo & knowing what gear youre in, Dont ride at a steady RPM for too long, keep it changing, keep it calm.

I would put it on Prime & see if it still does that, The other positions use vaccum to make the fuel deliver to the carb, or, wait till it shuts off & drain the bowl & see how much gas is in the carb,
You should be able to start it up, put it in gear & ride away,, you may need some choke to keep it smooth, make sure the idle is set high enough, below 1,000 RPM, oil pressure isnt good enough to keep the cam happy,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/17/12 at 11:51:31

A used 2012 bike?  That seems strange, whats the story there? That alone makes me wonder what its history is, was it sitting, was it from another state where the jetting may have been fiddled with.

If I misread that and its actually from a dealer, bring that joker back and have them fix it.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/17/12 at 11:56:10

Can't think of any logical reason for it to do that...

You didn't accidentally fill it with diesel did you?...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/17/12 at 11:56:53

Put some Sea Foam in the gas to clean and lube the carb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Claite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/17/12 at 12:15:29

Thanks for all the responses.

@Spamy, no, not used. By seller I meant the man at the dealer that got me set up with the bike. The bike had ~10 miles on it when I got on. It was literally out of the box.

@Serowbot, No, I'm 99.99% sure I didn't. (.01% for the gas station putting the gas in the wrong pump). I have only filled it up once since I had it, and that was only about $5 worth. It was also Cheveron, so I don't think the gas was bad. (Versus Arco or some other station like that).

@Justin, I agree that it's unsafe. There was a semi behind me when my engine cut off. Luckily, there was no one to my right so I was able to pull off rather quickly before I decelerated too much. I can try putting it in prime and seeing if it'll help. I didn't try it again since I was able to turn it on, on the side of the highway.

I'll be calling the dealer today to complain and get a date set for me to bring it in and have it checked. It seems far to abnormal for this to happen to a brand new bike. Even more so since they checked the bike prior to me riding it off.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 07/17/12 at 12:38:49

The theoretical value of Seafoam (aka snake oil) is to clean out a dirty system. New bikes usually don't have dirty systems, so save your eight or nine bucks. There is absolutely nothing in Seafoam that will do a better job of cleaning than the gasoline already in the tank.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 07/17/12 at 12:45:01

When I buy a new mower or snowblower I put Sea Foam in the gas before I start it for the first time. It cleans it and lubes it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/17/12 at 13:53:29

bill67 wrote on 07/17/12 at 12:45:01:
When I buy a new mower or snowblower I put Sea Foam in the gas before I start it for the first time. It cleans it and lubes it.

So how much cleaning and lubing does a new mower or snowblower need?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/17/12 at 14:39:20

Only thing on a brand new bike that could cause that might be a blocked pressure vent in the cap or an air leak in the vac tube setup.

...  or the earliest known failed vac petcock ever seen (snigger snigger)

Grin

PLEASE do tell us what the stealership sez about it -- insist on your removed parts be given back to you or an itemized warranty work report listing the replacement part numbers.

Tell them SuzukiSavage.com wants to know exactly what failed on the brand new bike, they know who we are.

oooooo --- a failed virgin fresh out of the crate vac petcock,  oooooo ....  that would smart a whole bunch going up sideways, eh?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Claite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/17/12 at 15:17:25

I called up the dealer and they told me to bring it in and they'll get take a look and make sure to prioritize me. I'll try to get as much information on what happened and why, so you all can add it to your knowledge banks. I'm really bummed that this happened on my brand new bike, but hell, I know that this stuff happens sometimes.

Thanks a lot for the help. I hope whatever happened isn't serious. :\

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/17/12 at 18:29:06

I would want any "bad" parts in my hands,, if not to keep, at least to look at.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 07/17/12 at 18:37:33

If the job is warranty work, Suzuki might require the parts be sent to them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #13 - 07/17/12 at 18:37:52

Claite wrote on 07/17/12 at 11:38:00:
I don't have an odometer, so it's also hard to imagine how I'd keep it under a certain RPM.

I think you mean tachometer. Wink

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/17/12 at 11:45:09:
Dont ride at a steady RPM for too long, keep it changing,

What's wrong with that?  Undecided

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/17/12 at 18:51:12

Before the rings are seated they can set up a chattering kind of motion, digging in & creating tinly low spots around the wall,, or so Ive heard,, IDK,, Its just recommended to vary RPM.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 07:54:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.