Send Topic Print
New Savage Dying (Read 387 times)
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Re: New Savage Dying
Reply #15 - 07/17/12 at 18:59:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/17/12 at 18:51:12:
Before the rings are seated they can set up a chattering kind of motion, digging in & creating tinly low spots around the wall,, or so Ive heard,, IDK,, Its just recommended to vary RPM.

Ah, gotcha.  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Claite
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/24/12 at 16:39:12

As embarrassing as this might be, I felt I should still let everyone know what happened.

It seems that I did not, in fact, have enough gas in the tank. I imagined the tank would have more gas then the 2.8 gallons I learned about today. When I had flipped it to reserve, I didn't leave it there long enough running the throttle for the petcock to actually get the gas, and thus seemed to not make any difference.

This being my first bike, I didn't really understand the fuel levels well enough when looking in the tank. I imagined the gas I had seen in there was more then what was actually there. So, the bike is fine. Just me being a fool. :\

Thanks for the help, all.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/24/12 at 16:56:34

It's one of the difficulties of these rather pleasant little bikes. Your fuel range is only good for about 100 110 miles. This may improve a little as the bike runs in. When you are on reserve you probably only have 20 miles left. If you go over 120 miles pray and if you go over 130 miles pray very hard, your prayers may not be answered at 130 miles plus.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #18 - 07/24/12 at 17:28:29

Claite wrote on 07/24/12 at 16:39:12:
As embarrassing as this might be, I felt I should still let everyone know what happened.

It seems that I did not, in fact, have enough gas in the tank. I imagined the tank would have more gas then the 2.8 gallons I learned about today. When I had flipped it to reserve, I didn't leave it there long enough running the throttle for the petcock to actually get the gas, and thus seemed to not make any difference.

This being my first bike, I didn't really understand the fuel levels well enough when looking in the tank. I imagined the gas I had seen in there was more then what was actually there. So, the bike is fine. Just me being a fool. :\

Don't feel too bad. Many on here have struggled to keep the bike running (with the kickstand down), or get it started (with the red switch set to "off").  - At least that's what i hear, i'd never do anything like that personally  Wink

I usually figure 100+ miles on main, 30 on reserve.  20 miles on reserve is a very conservative estimate, but you should probably be looking pretty hard for a gas station by then!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Davidoff74
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/01/12 at 03:00:39

LOL experienced the same on my first trip Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 08/01/12 at 03:06:25

WEll,, theres an easy fix!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 08/05/12 at 22:33:13

Claite wrote on 07/24/12 at 16:39:12:

Happened to me, too, back in '73 with the first bike I ever bought new (a Can-Am 175 T'NT).  I was out and about......and practically wore out the kickstarter trying to get 'er going, before thinking to pull the gas cap off for a check.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 08/05/12 at 23:24:17

Never happened to me... No, really,.. I swear...(fingers crossed, behind my back)... Huh...

Standing rule here... no pics, it didn't happen...  Lips Sealed...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 08/06/12 at 07:36:40

It seems it would be explained to any new buyer what the prime position really does,......that it is a constant fuel flow...... that it bypasses the vacuum operated valve, and it bypasses the reserve, and it will temporarly fix 75% of any fuel starvation problem. From what I see, the biggest problem w/ the OEM vacuum valve, is the confusion in how it works !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #24 - 08/06/12 at 13:34:57

Don't feel bad...I reworked an old savage that then sold to a friend...when I was shaking out the bike to make sure it was running right I was sailing down the freeway and conk...she just shut right off...coasted to the side with semis blasting past me...took a good 10 minutes before I thought of fuel being the problem....luckily, i didn't have it on reserve or I'da been pushin it.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 09:29:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.