Send Topic Print
Stainless Exhaust? (Read 236 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Stainless Exhaust?
07/16/12 at 20:20:19

I have access to some 2" stainless tubing, food grade 304 or 316.  What I'd like to do is to make a drag pipe using a generic baffle.  What I am not sure about is whether or not stainless will blue under extreme heat, or if there is any special way I'll need to weld the mounting tabs on. Undecided  If it will work, I plan on polishing it to a brilliant sheen. Cool  Finally, which end would be better to mount the baffle?  If it works, great!  Otherwise, I'll buy some exhaust tubing from the local muffler shop, and paint it black. Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Stainless Exhaust?
Reply #1 - 07/16/12 at 20:59:29

HOw about saving that expensive stuff & going to the muffler shop & getting a piece of 2" made up & work with that. Once you get everything working & tuned, take your stainless piece in & duplicate the proven design. IOW, experimenting with that One Piece of stainless is likely to end up in an unhappy moment,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #2 - 07/16/12 at 21:32:13

I'm not too concerned with fabricating it.  I'm very concerned about how the stainless will react to the heat, and wondering which end to put the baffle, although that can easily be changed from one end to the other.  Oh, did I mention the stainless was FREE! Smiley  The baffle and jet kit are the only things I'll have to by IF this will work. Cool

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 07/16/12 at 21:40:46

I got a debaffled stock exhaust with a SS end plate. At first longer run it turned golden and then purple. Second long run it started to look like silver. Now it starts to look like in the beginning. So I'm thinking about polishing it. It seems it got annealed real good. Stainless steel always dicolors quickly under heat.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #4 - 07/16/12 at 21:48:04

Thanks, Ralfyguy, that's what I was wanting to know.  Sounds as if you get kind of a rainbow effect.  I might have to think about it, it suits me to be "different" every now and then! Cool

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 07/16/12 at 21:54:19

If the whole exhaust is getting discovered like a rainbow, it could actually look kinda cool depending on the look of the rest of the bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/16/12 at 21:59:03

Get some 1.5" plain steel and make it like the header, and put the 2" over the top.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #7 - 07/17/12 at 09:04:49

As to which end to mount the baffle; Diamond Jim had a thread a while back about making a custom exhaust. When it came time to place the baffle, what he did was slide it in the back and attached a hook to it. He turn the bike on and slid the baffle back and forth through the pipe testing different positions and different throttle ranges till he settled on the location for the baffle.

I think he went with the end closest to the header, but since exhaust notes are all about personal preference, you might want to consider the slide-to-tune approach yourself.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/17/12 at 09:49:01

Stainless, blues way better than chrome... Nice!... Wink...

Baffle goes in the back...
...(otherwise, the air comes out all floppy and limp)... Huh...

2" is awfully big for a pipe...  I don't know what's involved with making a double-wall pipe,... but it would help with tuning and exhaust scavenging... ... might be toying with burnt exhaust vales...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/17/12 at 10:00:03

Rowboat said

might be toying with burnt exhaust vales...

What would cause that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/17/12 at 10:22:10

I think it's called, exhaust pulse reversion...  anyway,.. heated exhaust is not scavenged and reverts back into the valves, between pulses.  Heat builds up there...

I'm no rocket scientist... but, that's what I've been told...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/17/12 at 10:42:58

Ahhh HA!,, That mite explain the little cone welded inside the end of the header,, to catch that pulse..

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #12 - 07/18/12 at 10:47:16

A "tuned exhaust" will attempt to take advantage of that pulse.   The pipe diameter, length, and RPM range are the factors.   It's based on the principles of compression and rarification, and basically exploits the resonance of the pipe at a certain frequency (RPM).

Sorry to get off subject.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/18/12 at 13:54:53

I don't think that's off topic at all really.
i don't know the details, but I do know that a 2" exhaust pipe will be a WHOLE lot different than the triple-walled stock pipe that's 2" outside, but really only 1.70" inches or so inside.
That's going to make a very big difference in terms of tuning. Sounds like Lancer's territory to me... I believe he's made a larger diameter exhaust for his Savage...

IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #14 - 07/18/12 at 15:18:37

I am interested in the outcome of this thread. I am wanting to cut the cone out and port & polish the exhaust port. I understand i will need back pressure, but already have a replacement muffler (with baffle) just like i have on it now. My head pipe blues & so does my muffler, right now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:34:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stainless Exhaust?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.