Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Where are all the Young Folks on Here? (Read 687 times)
Brian
YaBB Newbies

South Carolina
Re: Where are all the Young Folks on Here?
Reply #30 - 07/17/12 at 15:53:47

WD wrote on 07/15/12 at 18:53:45:
I see I'm not the only Eagle Scout on the board...

since 2007

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #31 - 07/17/12 at 16:26:31

October 1987, I was 15. Mount Rainier Council (R.I.P.), Washington state.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 07/18/12 at 03:56:50

Serowbot wrote on 07/15/12 at 09:33:11:
I been on here for 6 years...  
I think my status might have changed...  Huh...
I'm evolved... Grin...

Evolved into ... ? ?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #33 - 07/18/12 at 04:03:28

WD wrote on 07/15/12 at 15:10:11:
I guess just shy of 40 isn't really that old...

But having owned 100+ street bikes in 25 years has to count for something...maybe...

I don't post anywhere near as much as I did on the old (Bert's) forum. And wish a lot of the guys from there had swapped on to here. Although most of the regulars went on to larger machines (HDs, BMWs, Victorys)...

I started on Bert's forum before finding this place, and signed up early in '04

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #34 - 07/18/12 at 04:07:30

Eagle Scout ? ?
For real ? ?  
That is quite an accomplishment.   Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #35 - 07/18/12 at 04:11:29

splash07 wrote on 07/17/12 at 13:42:38:

I got Eagle on November 14th 2002, troop 70 Elberta AL,

Outstanding !

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 07/18/12 at 14:38:34

Where's the dividing line.  I mean, when I was 10, 30 was old and 50 was ancient.  Now at 49, the lines are blurred... or is that just presbyopia again?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #37 - 07/18/12 at 14:41:25

LANCER wrote on 07/18/12 at 04:11:29:
splash07 wrote on 07/17/12 at 13:42:38:

I got Eagle on November 14th 2002, troop 70 Elberta AL,

Outstanding !

It is absolutely outstanding.  I sometimes wish I'd stuck with it.  I went from Cub Scouts through to just a few years in Boy Scouts and left scouting at about age 14.  It's one of those things on the list of stuff I'd change if I had it to do over, knowing what I know now.  There are a few things on that list.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #38 - 07/19/12 at 23:05:25

Savage_Rob wrote on 07/18/12 at 14:38:34:
Where's the dividing line.  I mean, when I was 10, 30 was old and 50 was ancient.  Now at 49, the lines are blurred... or is that just presbyopia again?

Rob, I'm 59 and getting ready to admit I'm old next year at 60. Of course, being old doesn't mean being dead. I think the reason I am willing to call it is the fact that my old friends and mentors are passing on at a seemingly accelerated rate. Now is the time for us "old" guys to reach back to the younger ones who are struggling and give them some gentle advice...then WAIT for them to mature enough to understand and use it. Yeah, I feel old.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 07/20/12 at 04:57:37

It is amazing how your perspective on life changes in your 50s.....not all bad actually.

What do you youngsters on here call old, do you ever really listen to someone with real life experience?   I pretty much had to learn things on my own, wish i had some oldsters to light the way.....with positive advice!

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #40 - 07/20/12 at 13:35:36

I'm 37 and feel plenty old on occasion, but I'm too immature to ever consider myself 'old'.

I work for a small software company (product support, training, IT stuff, etc) and spend an inordinate amount of time sitting in front of a computer, both at work and at home.  I tend to multi-task a lot at work, running dual-screen with work on one side and whatever is interesting me this minute on the other.

I grew up in a family of old school bikers that were too poor to own Harleys, and spent a lot of time when I was younger helping my dad work on his bikes, and have lots of fun stories of things like riding home from wherever Dad broke down sitting in the trunk of our Cutlass holding on to the front wheel of his bike.  I bought my first bike (1984 Honda CT110) for $75 when I was 15, my second (1975 Honda CB350) after I got married, and my third (1992 Yamaha Seca II) not long after I was divorced.  I kept the Seca for a while until I had problems keeping it running.  I have an issue with selling things for a lot less than they are probably worth, it seems... sold the CT110 for $125 after bringing it back from a barely running trail rustbucket into a fairly cool 'moped from hell', sold the CB350 for $250, I think I got $600 for the Seca.  All three of them I look back on and kick myself for ever selling (especially the CB350).

Since then I've spent a lot of time saying that I really wanted to buy another bike, should really get another bike, would really like having a bike again, and so on.  I follow a few different motorcycle related blogs in my RSS feed, and probably first noticed the S40 after coming across the Ryca CS-1.  Soon after that I started lurking around here, and after reading a lot about S40 it sounded a lot like something I would be interested in: It's been around forever, single cylinder, single carb, belt drive, etc.  Over the past few months my girlfriend had been showing interest in getting an old-school scooter (Vespa, for instance) for commuting to work, and I convinced her to get something a bit more capable (2004 Honda Rebel) and a couple days later found a 2005 S40 for myself.  You guys are to blame for that.  The amount of information and general camaraderie on this site is huge, and probably played a big part in my decision.

I originally got the S40 with the intention of building a Ryca, now I'm not so sure... it's pretty nice as-is.

I also have a huge problem with using parenthetical asides (obviously).

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #41 - 07/20/12 at 14:54:30

I am the perfect age- everyone younger than me is too young, and everyone older than me is too old. I have been the perfect age all my life. Roll Eyes

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #42 - 07/20/12 at 15:43:46

arteacher wrote on 07/20/12 at 14:54:30:
I am the perfect age- everyone younger than me is too young, and everyone older than me is too old. I have been the perfect age all my life. Roll Eyes

Never has this feeling been summed up so accurately.

Sometimes I feel like as you get older you get more passionate -- just about fewer things. Your hobbies start to narrow down into one or two, and then maybe into only a subset of that category (like say motorcycles then just the savage and then maybe OIL?!?!). Right now I've got too many hobbies to keep track of, which is killing me. Even among bikes, one sits untouched while the other two get treatment, or I keep up on my little tech projects (two arduinos and a raspberry pi) and the bikes get forgotten, or I play video games (the bane of my productive existence) or watch movies, or go out drinking with friends.... it all snowballs and I get lost in one aspect rather than keeping up with all of them.

But yeah, 30+ = old.  Grin

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #43 - 07/20/12 at 16:15:44

Being old is terrible,When I was young I chased the young girls,Now I'm old the young girls chase me,It awful I just hate it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 07/20/12 at 16:23:35

What are you going to do when they learn to walk?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:14:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Where are all the Young Folks on Here?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.