ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Who's that knocking?
Reply #15 - 07/15/12 at 08:38:07

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/15/12 at 05:01:07:
Verslagen, tell the man all about counter balancer bearings losing the ball bearing cage and making a heavy knock sound on acceleration.   I think you know more about that than I do since you dealt with it directly.

The knock sound was the original '88 engine, that one had a burnt piston with seized rings.  The knock sounded low, but I traced it up to the piston.
The '02 engine with the failed bearings made an occasional whine.  Then finally failed with a ratta ratta sound as the CB smacked the bottom of the jug.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 07/15/12 at 08:43:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/15/12 at 07:56:13:
If you can measure the depthe of the groove in the cam bearing at the bottom & at the sides, youll know exactly how much its worn.

I wondered if posting the picture of the cam would be a good idea.  Although the photo looks like the cam is really dirty and may have gotten hot.....that is actually the black oxide coating that is just beginning to wear off.  The cam and bearings are just getting broken in and polished off.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 07/15/12 at 08:52:49

you got a pic of the cam sitting in the journals -- both are fine

Good news, you had no oil pressure issues at all and you can quit worrying about oiling issues and wear due to same.   All the stock cams have the heat treat black oxide left on them intentionally by Suzuki (cheaper that way and they can claim it holds an oil film better than a dry smooth ground part).  

I shined mine up .... goal is to reduce start up wear on the cam bearing surfaces after all.

Lateral movement in the rotor means that the crank is not being located correctly by a completely trapped huge ball bearing and a heavily clamped piece that indexes off of that trapped bearing.  

Guys, check me on this, the lateral clamp up for the crank comes from the primary gear retaining nut by the cam chain, that big assed left hand threaded nut that holds on the primary gear and cam chain sprocket is the controlling side that tells the crank where to spin lateral wise..

================

The crank is not supposed to float or move laterally nor are any of the pieces associated with the crank supposed to be floating around laterally.

Somebody at the factory screwed up and didn't tighten something (if the big nut is allowing movement) or they didn't install a bearing retaining plate correctly (if the big assed ball bearing is moving laterally in its machined race).  Or the machined hole is oversized/over deep and it is not holding on to the bearing ...

Time to go get the Clymers manual and see how it really is supposed to work .....

Yup, right side big assed ball bearing on the crank is trapped by a bearing plate and has a major torque value on the left hand threaded nut that traps all lateral motion on the crank/rotor assembly.

Ditto for the counter balancer assembly, big bolt on the right side pulls it tight against a bearing plate retained big assed ball bearing so it can't have lateral motion either.

« Last Edit: 07/15/12 at 10:12:51 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/15/12 at 10:16:29

Oldfellow.

My crank is not moving laterally - it is moving up/down a tiny amount when I pull straight up when the engine is in the normal engine attitude it would be when in the bike.  And when I pull up and push down.....it makes a little "clunk".  Add another 29-7/8 Horsepower and it may well be the source of the noise.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 07/15/12 at 10:32:25

Four possible sources for a vertical motion as you describe.

Standard internal radial clearance of the ball bearing itself on that side (very very small movement).    There is a check spec for the ball bearing itself from the bearing mgf and I think the test v block specs in Clymers should reflect the wear limit for the same item.

Broken ball race cage in that bearing, allowing the balls to move to the sides thus permitting the crank to move up/down more than the standard internal radial clearance of the ball bearing itself.

Ball bearing pocket mis-machined (oversized) allowing entire bearing outer race to go up down.

Wrong bearing (ID or OD)

Every time the crank counterweight rolls up or down that motion is gonna take place -- this would be in time with the sharp knock sound you were doing at the Dragon.   The noise will increase as the room to move slowly increases.

Here are the faces of the Dragon folks listening to Dave's knock ....   Once you stuffed rags into his pretty loud muffler to shut it up you could really clearly hear the sharp knock even at idle speed.

« Last Edit: 07/15/12 at 18:21:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 07/15/12 at 18:25:29

Yep.........It was just a bit more than 2 weeks ago I was riding around making lots of noise at the Dragon.

Now.........not so much noise!

SavageCylinder_003.jpg

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 07/16/12 at 18:31:15

Did you see any signs of the counter balancer weight clipping the cutout in the jug?

This happens when they are installed with the timing incorrect or they get wonky when a bearing ball cage lets go and the weight starts to wander a bit ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 07/17/12 at 06:37:12

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/16/12 at 18:31:15:

Did you see any signs of the counter balancer weight clipping the cutout in the jug?

This happens when they are installed with the timing incorrect or they get wonky when a bearing ball cage lets go and the weight starts to wander a bit ....

Nope.....no strange marks or metal bits anywhere.  The cutout on the bottom of the jug still has black paint on it, without any marks of any kind.

The only thing I saw that I thought was a bit goofy has been commented on by others.  The right crank half has a bluish tint and the machined surfaces are shiny - while the left crank half is silvery and more of a matt finish.  Both sides have evidence of rubbing - I guess it was while they moved the crank around at the factory as I cannot see any reason yet that it happened in the engine........however the cases are not yet split.  I am going to the dealer today to see what they will charge to pull the alternator rotor.....if it is too expensive I will buy a puller.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 07/17/12 at 10:52:19

What is so rough around the edges? Or is it from the casting?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 07/17/12 at 17:36:16

ralfyguy wrote on 07/17/12 at 10:52:19:
What is so rough around the edges? Or is it from the casting?

Yes, the rough edges are where the smooth machined parts meet the casting marks on the edges.  The part I thought was weird was the rub marks on the machined surfaces....but those may very well be just from being in a work bench at the factory, as there is no visible sign of anything in the engine causing them.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 07/23/12 at 15:56:16

Well I got my puller and removed the alternator rotor and starter stuff.  The next thing holding me back was the 46mm nut holding the flywheel on.  I could not find any friends or relatives with a 46 mm deep socket.....but I found a $ 7.99 shallow one at Tractor Supply.  I have a meeting tonight and just had enough time to cut the socket in half so I can extend the depth, and when I tried the fit on the nut with my fingers.....the nut spun!  The nut that is supposed to be torqued to 100 ft. lbs. was finger tight!

Now I have to figure out if the loose bearing allowed the nut to shake loose - or if the loose nut was causing the problem.  I imagine the flywheel was shaking back and forth a bit and making noise.  I tightened the nut with a big crescent wrench, and I am still getting some play so I suspect the bearing still has some play in it.  I need to go to a meeting.....so I won't get to work on it any more tonight.  Tomorrow night I might get to take it the rest of the way apart.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 07/24/12 at 17:31:44

I got the cases split tonight and looked things over.  The bearing looks like it is a bit "less than smooth".....but not really rough.  I was able to move the crank up and down a tad on the left side before splitting the case - while the right side was tight and could not be moved.  The left side moved more up and down then it did front to back.  At this point all I can do is order the parts.....and hope it works.

Sorry about the picture quality - my camera does not do well close up.  I might go out and stand back a bit....and use the zoom and see if that works better.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #27 - 07/24/12 at 17:41:55

I agree. Those bearing and roller surfaces aren't looking really great, but should not be the reason why there is so much play. Me thinks that the whole bearing was out of tolerance from the factory. I guess you got the "Golden Ticket" so to speak.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 07/24/12 at 19:01:44

Contact the complaint line and ask for warranty service on the factory installed defective bearing.

SuzukiUSA isn't interested in bad publicity, your parts should be free (or the complaint man might perhaps make a call to the nearest dealer instructing them to go pick your bike up for full warranty service) such miracles might be in the cards since your problem is SOOOO VISIBLE to the SuzukiSavage.com world.

Tongue

But then again, would you trust Mikey to put your bike back together ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #29 - 07/24/12 at 20:03:40

You have to turn your macro on if you want to do close-up pictures. There should be a button with a flower on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:57:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's that knocking?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.