Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Who's that knocking?
07/14/12 at 19:24:53

I bought a used 2007 S40 with only 262 miles on it.  Shortly after buying it I started to wonder why these bikes made so much engine noise....turns out mine made more than the others.  At about 400 miles I adjusted the valves and that did not help much.  The noise is a bit harder sounding than ticking valves.  It is much louder under acceleration at low rpm's and it very noticeable at idle.  At speed it is much less noticeable.  I rode it at the Dragon and it ran for 3 days - but I did get funny looks from people as they heard my clacking bike riding up.  When pulling into the parking lot after a long ride it almost sounded like the knocking also had a rubbing/scraping kind of sound underlying the knocking.  I previously checked the cam chain and it is only at 13mm and not in need to the Verslagen yet.  The sound was most apparent on the right side of the bike - but sounds more like piston slap or a loose wrist pin than a cam chain.  At the Dragon ride we blocked the muffler and checked for exhaust leaks - but there was nothing of any significance.  I kept riding it not only because I was having so much fun......but I also felt that the cause of the noise was not going to be easy to find as we could not really identify the source by listening.

This weekend I tore the engine apart - and sorry to say that although some things look a bit weird, I could not find anything that is an obvious problem.  The first thing I thought was weird is the amount of carbon that is already built up in this engine. There is a huge amount of clearance between the piston and head so there was no way the carbon would have taken up enough space to have the piston tapping on the head or valves.  The top of the piston was oily looking and not dry when the engine came apart.  This engine only has 1,400 miles on it now and I would not think it should have built up this much carbon?  The piston had some light scratching on the front and back of the piston, and some matching streaks in the cylinder wall.  The piston to cylinder clearance is a very tight 0.002", I have to push pretty hard to get the piston to slide past this feeler gauge, and anything bigger would not go.  The manual states the minimum piston clearance should be 0.0020 - 0.0024, and I believe I may be a bit on the tight side of those numbers.  If I rotate the piston 90 degrees the clearance measure the same - so I believe the cylinder is round.  The side clearance on the piston where the pin is located it 0.012" - so the piston is not round.  Pistons are ground oval on purpose so they will expand to be round when at operating temperature.  The streaks on the cylinder are mostly coloration and are not deep - the piston scratches are very shallow.  The back of the intake valves are clean - but did appear to have a bit of an oil sheen on them - the intake manifold is dry.  The cam looks like new, the head looks like new except for the carbon build up - the cam bearings in the head look great.

I have taken everything apart down to the main cases - and I have not removed the rotor on the left side of the crank.  I cannot find any play in the crank bearings, rod bearings, and all of the nuts on the clutch and crank were tight.  The rotor bolt is tight, and a dial indicator on the crank did not show any up/down movement on the left of right.

What next?

« Last Edit: 07/15/12 at 09:16:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Who's that knocking?
Reply #1 - 07/14/12 at 19:43:53

I would say your rings are gone.

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 07/14/12 at 22:12:36

verslagen1 wrote on 07/14/12 at 19:43:53:
I would say your rings are gone.

Yep! Scoring on the walls is a dead give-away. Now Versy......I know what causes that on a 2-cycle engine(normally lack of lube) but on a 4-stroke.....and at 1400 miles......educate us on the possible causes please.

Uh....maybe a poorly fit air filter and lots of dirt or sand??

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/14/12 at 22:36:32

pulling the sparky without cleaning the area around it. cranking over the engine with the sparky removed. Running the engine without an air filter. Running it low on oil.  Over heating the engine.  Lots of things can cause pre-mature ring failure, These are all assuming the engine was built with the proper ring gaps to begin with.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/14/12 at 22:38:46

No air filter & run in a continuous dust storm,, Thats beyond weird. I hope you got a great deal on it. Id sure have to ask the owner how it got like that,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/14/12 at 22:51:56

Another thought just entered my mind since I saw how many miles was on it when you bought it, and how little you have on it now as well.  Did you do an oil change around the 500 mile mark, to get rid of the break in oil? It's common that the first oil in new motors gets contaminated really quick as it's cleaning out casting sand and other machining debris that was not able to be washed out.  This could also cause additional accelerated wear in an engine. That is why they recommend a first oil change at 500 miles.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 07/14/12 at 23:22:01

Thanks RF. I was thinking along those lines too but wanted to see what some of you more experienced wrenches had to say.

Dave...I feel for ya bro!  That has to suck bigtime. Especially right in the middle of riding season!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/14/12 at 23:49:23

Also running with the choke on for extended periods.

And maybe the rings were never broke in correctly.

How about putting the rings in and measuring the gap?

WWW   IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/15/12 at 04:29:41

Maybe the mileage was not right to start with. Seems alot of damage for a couple hundred miles...... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 07/15/12 at 04:31:03

Thanks for all your sympathy, support and suggestions.  Yes this does really suck in the middle of riding season.  I bought a newer, low mileage bike so I could ride and not have to wrench.  I am horribly busy at work during the summers.....and this was supposed to be a low maintenance bike!

The bike came from Long Island and based on the experience I have when I went to pick it up.......It was not driven in any dusty conditions.  The bike probaby spent a lot of time stuck in traffic, and it idled a lot at traffic lights and probably never saw much open road action.  The woman I bought it from was dating a biker and was learning to ride - but then they broke up and she had no interest in riding anymore.  I believe the mileage is actual as the bike was very clean and the tires and drive belt showed no wear.  The air cleaner and the housing are very clean....I did have it on a dirt road on the Dragon trip but I rode off to the side of the fellow in front of me and didn't get too dusty except for the rear wheel and swing arm.  The top of the cylinder head has always been clean from what I can tell, and I doubt that any dirt fell in during a plug check or change.

I am an oil change Junky during the break in and I changed the oil immediately after getting the bike at 262 miles, then again at 400 miles and again about about 800 miles.  I made the change at 800 to see if using 20W-50 might help to make it less noisey.....the temperature around here was in the 90-100 range during that period.  The oil does not show any metal bits and comes out pretty clean at those intervals - the oil in the level window was always honey colored.  I used Suzuki 10W-40 for the first change and Valvoline 20W-50 motorcycle oil for the 2nd change.  The bike never made any noticeable smoke out the exhaust, and I never noticed any oil consumption.  I wish I had done a compression check before tearing it down.

The ring end gap measures 0.020.  The Clymer manual shows the installed range to be 0.012 - 0.018, and the wear limit to be 0.039.  My rings appear to be nearly new from a clearance perspective.  I have a friend that is active with the KLR650 crowd and a good motorcycle mechanic and he has raced and worked on road race bikes for years.  He says that Suzuki has a problem with the ring seating in their big singles.  I have never seen that comment on this forum......but I have seen it on the forums for the other Suzuki singles and even seen people report on Warranty repairs to correct it.  They are not sure of the cause buy claim ring flutter or out of round cylinders might be a cause.

I am not sure of the scoring issue.  It is very minor, and in my chainsaw experience there can be a problem with carbon scoring when the engine is run too rich or with too much oil.  The carbon can come loose and get along the cylinder wall/piston clearance and cause scoring.

I have no problem honing the cylinder to clean it up and getting a new set of rings......might as well clean up the head and replace the valve seals while it is apart.  I am still looking to find the source of the knock however......I don't yet understand how these cylinder issues would have caused the engine clack/knock that I was having. It sounded like piston slap at idle and detonation during hard acceleration.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/15/12 at 04:46:20

The only ugly sound I ever got out of mine was when it was new. Until it was broken in, a launch from a stop  would sometimes get an unnerving clattering sound out of it, but at idle it just sounded like a sewing machine in need of some adjustments,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/15/12 at 05:01:07

Not me, Kemosabe.    Both Lancer and I looked at his bike up at the Dragon, and he has a very sharp heavy knock sound coming from the lower end (right side).

Dave, I never said head area, I never bet on piston slap, I said counter balancer bearings or crank bearings (big assed failed ball cage ball bearings) and those items are all in the lower end of the engine.    To find these things you are going to have to split the cases and do a FULL engine tear down.   Sorry.

Some others might have made hopeful head/jug noises, but t'warn't me what sent you off on a hopeful rabbit hunt to the head/jug area.
(although you do have to take them off to get to the cases)

Lancer, did you send him off on a rabbit hunt into the head/jug area?

I also suggested that you get a mechanics stethoscope and search out the exact origin point of the big heavy knock sound before taking the bike apart.

Verslagen, tell the man all about counter balancer bearings losing the ball bearing cage and making a heavy knock sound on acceleration.   I think you know more about that than I do since you dealt with it directly.

Now, what's really really sick about the whole thing

His bike is practically brand new ....  should have been a warranty issue if the original owner had got off her ass and had taken it in to the dealership inside the first year.  

But she didn't.   She never ran it hard enough to even seat the rings and she ran the idle speed running way down low too.

If you could prove that she did take it in and the dealership bullshitted her that it was "a normal big single sound" then you could protest to Suzuki USA and perhaps get somewhere.  

Especially if they were the ones that set up that low idle speed for her to putt around with inside New York City.

Wink

(How were your head cam bearing journals?  If there is no galling of the aluminium then the low idle speed did no damage and your oil pressure may have been OK after all)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/15/12 at 05:57:35

If I was in that spot & couldnt get it handled by Suzuki, Id sure think about getting a motor to stick in it, then I could ride & work on the the other one, build it up & do all the performance stuff thats been done & proven. Once its up & running & proven to be solid, sell the other one,

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/15/12 at 07:50:48

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/15/12 at 05:01:07:

Dave, I never said head area, I never bet on piston slap, I said counter balancer bearings or crank bearings (big assed failed ball cage ball bearings) and those items are all in the lower end of the engine.    To find these things you are going to have to split the cases and do a FULL engine tear down.   Sorry.

Verslagen, tell the man all about counter balancer bearings losing the ball bearing cage and making a heavy knock sound on acceleration.   I think you know more about that than I do since you dealt with it directly.

(How were your head cam bearing journals?  If there is no galling of the aluminium then the low idle speed did no damage and your oil pressure may have been OK after all)

I am not only looking at the head/cylinder/piston......I just thought the carbon and wear were unusual for a bike with so few miles and need to fix that issue....but as of last night I had still not found anything that I thought was a blatant cause of the knock.

With the engine down as far as it is I can pull see all of the bearings and races on the balancing shaft and they look great and I cannot get any movement from them.  The right side crank bearing looks great and I cannot get any movement, and the rod shows no movement up or down or twisting and only has a small amount of side play.

However.......this morning I placed the engine on the floor and put my knee on top.....and if I pull up and down on the (left side) alternator rotor I can feel and hear a slight clunking noise.  At first I thought maybe it was the mounting of the rotor.....but if I pull up and down on the center shaft I can still feel the movement as well.  I am going to go out and put the dial indicator back on the left crank throw and see if the movement is measurable on the crank, and also check the tightness of the alternator rotor.  Is there any method to get the rotor off without buying the puller?  Anyone have one they can rent to me, or do I just need to drop the engine off at the dealer for them to pull the rotor for me?

The oil pump seems to be doing OK.  When I pulled the engine apart there was a pool of oil in the well where the cam lobes dip, and the cam seems to be getting plenty of oil as it still has not worn the black oxide coating off the bearings surfaces.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/15/12 at 07:56:13

If you can measure the depthe of the groove in the cam bearing at the bottom & at the sides, youll know exactly how much its worn.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 08:26:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's that knocking?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.