Send Topic Print
Oil in my airbox (Read 107 times)
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Oil in my airbox
07/14/12 at 10:09:53

Greetings. My Savage has been running poorly over the last week. It feels like the bike is starved for fuel or air, and power is lacking. It idles ok and is still rideable. I commute on it daily and just hit 15,000 miles.

The first thing I did was check the air filter (because it is the easiest thing to do...).

The bottom of the airbox and filter are covered in oil.

Is this bad? Wink

Would this cause my bike to run as described? How do I fix?

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Oil in my airbox
Reply #1 - 07/14/12 at 10:23:00

Was your oil level too high?...  This oil, puked out of the crankcase breather...
If you weren't over full,.. check that you don't have gas in your oil...
Could be leaking from floats or petcock...

If it clogged the filter,... it would cause bad running...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/14/12 at 13:41:52

You also have air in your oil box (the case).

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #3 - 07/15/12 at 15:03:11

I drained the oil. It looks like the right amount, so it was not overfilled. How do I test to see if there is gas in the oil- should I try to light it on fire?

Please say yes  Smiley.

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 07/15/12 at 15:18:07

You drained the oil out of your air box and want to light it on fire to see if there is gasoline vapor in it?   I always had to use lots of rags to get the oil out of mine (and there always is some, btw).   Puke tube from the head is there for a reason you know.

Or are you talking about the engine sump?   Which one?

Grin   Grin    Grin

Sure, have yourself a blast -- just do it away from the bike please.  

Put a jar lid full of "it" out on something that isn't going to burn and try lighting it with a match and tell us what happens.

I bet on the match goes out when it hits the oil.

You can sniff the stuff and detect gas fumes if any are present.

How was that air filter?  Reverse direction blow out with an air hose got what sort of crap out of it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/15/12 at 15:21:46

just take a sniff of the drained oil,  that's a good way to tell if it has fuel in it. If it has more then the normal combustion blow by in there you should be able to smell the fuel in it. Only way it will light on fire is if there is alot of fuel in it, and I mean alot, to the point you would know that your case was over full.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 07/15/12 at 15:43:16

Question,  do you bring the bike to a level position when you check the oil?   If not, Serowbot is most likely right.  Overfilled oil will blow out the crankcase vent hose on the top of the engine and go into the filter.  

There is also a hose sticking out the bottom of the air box and down  under the bike.  (sticks out a bit).  There is a plug in it and it's to drain any oil condensate that builds up.   You are suppose to take the plug out every once and a while.  But, if you haven't, make sure you have a pan or something underneath because you will get a fair amount of gunk out.

NOW,  if you do check your oil level upright,  then you need to do other stuff.

1) check the petcock to make sure the vacuum diaphragm isn't leaking.  (note: it's used to shut it off the gas when the bike is off).   If it's leaking, gas can overflow the carb fuel bowel and work it's way down into the piston and then down by the rings and then into the engine oil.   Quick check is to remove the vacuum hose from the carb (comes from the very back of the petcock and goes to the right side of the carb) and see if any gas is in it.  It should be dry.

2)  Also a good thing would be to get the compression checked.   That would give you a basic idea that the integrity of the piston and rings are still good.  Several of us have pistons go bad and that would lead to lots of "blow-by" and clog the air filter.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/15/12 at 17:00:30

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 07/15/12 at 15:43:16:
1) check the petcock to make sure the vacuum diaphragm isn't leaking.  (note: it's used to shut it off the gas when the bike is off).   If it's leaking, gas can overflow the carb fuel bowel and work it's way down into the piston and then down by the rings and then into the engine oil.  

just a small correction...
the petcock is connected to the vac port which leads to the intake, not the bowl.  And it's more like a bladder than a bowel.  Gives new meaning to pissin' in the wind don't it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:28:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil in my airbox

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.