Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: 80mph top speed?
Reply #30 - 07/19/12 at 16:31:14

As far as getting the front wheel to lift off the ground... set the belt too tight (like dealership mechanics do) give it some gas and pop the clutch. It will come up, but you won't like when it comes back down...

I blew the fork seals on mine in the dealership lot the day I bought the bike. They can't take it, if you think you'll be lifting the front end get better fork seals. I've still not changed mine, from 1998 to 2008 it might have leaked a 1/4 cup from both forks combined. Refilled with Type F ATF, leak slowed down even more.

650cc used to be considered a BIG bike...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #31 - 07/20/12 at 05:44:22

WD wrote on 07/19/12 at 16:31:14:
As far as getting the front wheel to lift off the ground... set the belt too tight (like dealership mechanics do) give it some gas and pop the clutch. It will come up, but you won't like when it comes back down...

I blew the fork seals on mine in the dealership lot the day I bought the bike. They can't take it, if you think you'll be lifting the front end get better fork seals. I've still not changed mine, from 1998 to 2008 it might have leaked a 1/4 cup from both forks combined. Refilled with Type F ATF, leak slowed down even more.

650cc used to be considered a BIG bike...

Can't say I want to do this often, I know our forks aren't built for it. I was more interested in it as a performance metric rather than amusement factor.

Maybe A fork upgrade is in my Savage's future. Its very, very distant future.

I'll see if I can't borrow someone's compression tester and try that on the bike. I can't decide if I want the compression to come back good (and still wonder why I can't reach 85) or for the compression to come back mediocre so I know what I have to do (even though I really don't feel like tearing into the engine again so soon).

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 07/21/12 at 23:39:16

In New Zealand we are in kilometers. With the original tyre fitted I once saw 150kmph or 93.2 mph indicated. With the new 140 90 15 I saw 140kmph or about 87 mph indicated. Didn't have absolute throttle but very near it, don't know how accurate the speedo is. Handbook says 100 mph at 6500rpm. 2008 made, 2010 registered S40 brought brand new. Plate says ignition complies with a Canadian emission law. Got two handbooks, one in English, one in Quebecois. Bike is stock fom dealership with a pack rack and bag and a Boulevard screen.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:40:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 80mph top speed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.