Send Topic Print
80mph top speed? (Read 632 times)
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
80mph top speed?
07/13/12 at 08:19:47

2002 Savage, 22k miles, Mikuni VM38 carb with a cone filter and a jardine exhaust....

My savage is my around-town vehicle, so I don't often get a chance to really open her up, but I've been doing a short commute on the highway and noticed that WOT only gets me about 80mph on a level road, even if I'm at WOT for quite some time.

There is no power boost going from 3/4 to WOT, and no surge closing the throttle from WOT to 3/4, so I don't think the jetting is off (no hesitation or noticeable "bogging", I just don't get any more power). though admittedly I decide about every other day the jetting needs changed... plug looks alright, maybe a bit on the lean side, but not too bad.

Any ideas what would cause this? Low compression? Last year I had some issues with my fuel mileage being shot so I went to a mikuni vm carb (more tunable than stock) and tore down the top end to replace gaskets and what not; my head gasket was burnt through but I *thought* that was fixed....

also, I ain't light, but I'm not 700lbs either, nor do I wear a parachute when I ride, so I feel like at least 90 should be where I top out, not 80.

I've also heard of people popping wheelies on their savage's, which blows my mind. Maybe there is a technique to it, but the only time I've popped a wheelie was when I was trying to race a bus (he had a head start) and nailed a nasty pothole,  Wink

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: 80mph top speed?
Reply #1 - 07/13/12 at 08:21:39

p.s. my bike still has a good amount of low-end. Enough to toast a harley from stand-still last night. up to ~75mph over a bridge, that is. after that, he (finally) caught up and beat me.

--
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 07/13/12 at 08:29:38

Every published magazine review I have read on the Savage, or the later S40, has reported a top speed about 85 mph. Your bike is ten years old with 22K miles on it. I'm not surprised to see its top speed a little down.

The Savage, in stock form, is a nearly-400 lb motorcycle, with about a 25 hp engine and standard poor aerodynamics. Whatever we might like to think, it is NOT a fast motorcycle. It is reasonably quick (not the same thing as fast) and agile. Changing the air filter is unlikely to make any difference. Changing the exhaust, unless carefully done, is more likely to hurt performance than help it. Remember "loud" is not the same thing as "more powerful."

I suppose that'll ruffle a few feathers. Bring on the counterarguments.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 07/13/12 at 08:40:22

Charon wrote on 07/13/12 at 08:29:38:
Every published magazine review I have read on the Savage, or the later S40, has reported a top speed about 85 mph. Your bike is ten years old with 22K miles on it. I'm not surprised to see its top speed a little down.

The Savage, in stock form, is a nearly-400 lb motorcycle, with about a 25 hp engine and standard poor aerodynamics. Whatever we might like to think, it is NOT a fast motorcycle. It is reasonably quick (not the same thing as fast) and agile. Changing the air filter is unlikely to make any difference. Changing the exhaust, unless carefully done, is more likely to hurt performance than help it. Remember "loud" is not the same thing as "more powerful."

I suppose that'll ruffle a few feathers. Bring on the counterarguments.

I'll agree with just about everything you said here, though the engine output is closer to 31 than 25hp.

For some reason I was under the impression stock top speed was around 95, but looking around it does seem to be closer to the 85-90 range.

And yeah, the savage at 70+ doesn't exactly feel stable. still fun though, in a holy-crap-i'm-going-to-die kind of way  Grin

--
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/13/12 at 09:23:21

No way is a 22k savage tired.
with a cone and jardine top end shouldn't be down to 80
you're not getting any response from 3/4 to WFO?
Doesn't that mean next larger jet?

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 07/13/12 at 10:05:16

ive had my 06 past 85 indicated
too fast for me bike is too light

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/13/12 at 10:13:13

thumperclone wrote on 07/13/12 at 10:05:16:
ive had my 06 past 85 indicated
too fast for me bike is too light

Same here, my '05 had more left at 85 mph but I didn't. Too light and springy at that speed. (I'm 6'1" 200 lbs.) Properly tuned, I see no reason why it can't do 95-100.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 07/13/12 at 11:05:33

Mine goes to about 85 effortless, then to 90 a smidge slower and to 95 with a little more flat road. Motor is stock as is the air filter, but air box is opened and a self drilled 54 pilot and 150 main jet. Stock exhaust debaffled.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 07/13/12 at 11:31:35

I ran out of bigger main jets to try, ordered some more, bigger jets.

Hopefully one of them does the trick.

Carb tuning is confusing. I don't get it, then I read about it, then I think I get it, then I read more, then I don't get it, then I ride and I realize nothing I read applies to how the bike feels when I ride, so it just turns into a guessing game. Close enough, anyways.

I also ordered a UFO for the carb, so hopefully that helps.

I was just under the impression that even a poorly tuned carb can reach max top speed as long as the engine doesn't cut out/bog/hesitate/die etc. and I wouldn't go so far as to say mine legitimately bogs down, it just doesn't accelerate anymore. Almost no speed change from 3/4 to WOT.

--
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/13/12 at 11:36:59

Stock was a long time ago.

Currently supertrapp, stage 1 cam, rejetted, stock air, 130/90-16...
...she goes 85 or so uphill.  This hill is steep enough to make anyone behind a loaded trash truck want to shoot themselves.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #10 - 07/13/12 at 11:41:23

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/12 at 11:36:59:
Stock was a long time ago.

Currently supertrapp, stage 1 cam, rejetted, stock air, 130/90-16...
...she goes 85 or so uphill.  This hill is steep enough to make anyone behind a loaded trash truck want to shoot themselves.

This is probably my favorite description of a hill I've heard yet. Describes it perfectly  Grin

Stage 1 cam will happen eventually. I'm waiting to need to 1) have another bike reliable and 2) for this cylinder/rings/piston to need replacing at which point the savage will get over-bored, carbide treatment, and stage 1 cam (wallet permitting).

Right now... Gotta keep one bike stable to get to work. Wouldn't want to have to drive a car, now would we  Wink

--
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 07/13/12 at 12:49:07

speaking to the wheelie comment, I was able to pop wheelies OK on my stock bike, now that its heavily modified though, I can ride a wheelie for a good distance. Seemed to work best with the drag style bars.

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #12 - 07/13/12 at 19:48:36

I had my ryca up to 97 indicated earlier this week.  I only weigh 145, so that helps.  I would like to do the ton on this thing at some point . . .

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/13/12 at 19:55:05

bikertrash wrote on 07/13/12 at 19:48:36:
I had my ryca up to 97 indicated earlier this week.  I only weigh 145, so that helps.  I would like to do the ton on this thing at some point . . .

Close yer' mouth... catches a lot of wind... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #14 - 07/14/12 at 08:02:12

So if it looks like my bike is ~15mph slower than most peoples, what do you think causes the difference?

I weight in around 195lbs, which seems in the reasonable range for getting to 90-95mph.

I haven't done a compression test since last year when the head/jug gaskets were replaced and that came back within the acceptable range. Not really sure I trust my compression tester anymore though....

--
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 80mph top speed?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.