Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session (Read 544 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session
Reply #45 - 07/16/12 at 07:15:41

RandomHero wrote on 07/14/12 at 16:50:48:
Greg-E wrote on 07/14/12 at 16:05:12:
Now we just need to deal with the front break and could probably come up with a way to link it and the back break to the single pedal. Easiest way would be to allow a bunch of slop on the rear master cylinder so that it engages later than the front. Alternate would be to change to a small master cylinder for the rear so that it has a smaller advantage over the slave cylinder and won't lock the rear break. Or put the actuating lever for the front break farther out from the pedal pivot so the front cylinder gets moved farther than the rear cylinder. If you really want to get technical make the length adjustable so you can tune the front rear bias.

this and the suicide clutch post above sound like great ideas to check out. Unfortunately i havent found a bike yet. I did come across this
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3139471727.html
which is an hour or so away. If its still available Monday what should i offer for it? No way im paying $900 for an 88 w/17k miles and not running. Or should i just let it go and try and find something else? Im trying to find a not running bike for cost reasons and the fact i dont want to be out alot of $ in case i cant get something figured out.

I cant believe you guys are still suggesting scooter, leave this guy alone and let him have his motorcycle. All he wants is a real bike to ride.

As for the bike on craigslist, it either has a newer engine which is good, or someone has done a lot of work to the original engine which is also good. +1 on what versalgen said, make sure it turns over.

As for the linked rear brakes, I wouldnt go that route. Sound dangerous to be honest. I can imagine accidentally locking the brakes up very easily with a linked system. GO to stop a little too hard and the rear tire goes sliding, the front brakes can take a lot more pressure without locking up. Like I said before, try two separate pedals on the right side, one for rear and one for front. You could do a toe and heel set up which would make it difficult to engage both at the same time or a side by side set up, allowing you to engage both at the same time but still somewhat regulate the amount of pressure used on each pedal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 07/16/12 at 07:17:07

Dave makes a good point,, ya know, maybe grabbing some half worn out, kinda beat up Old Scooter or maybe a dual purpose thing so you can play in the dirt,, Heck yea,, ( You asked for brainstormin,, I just had a lightnin strike!)
How about gettin a dual purpose, small bike & work out how it needs to be set up riding in the dirt? Dirt is fun & no one runs red lites there,
If you manage to get it all worked out so you can ride in the dirt, then step on up & take it to the grocery store or something. If you decide you want something "more" then youll have already learned how to make a bike work for you & you can get a bike & start in on it.

Ohh & Geee whiz,, heres the downside.
Youve got a little bike to play in the dirt with now,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 07/16/12 at 08:04:02

I am not only suggesting a scooter.....but something that is already set up with an automatic clutch takes a lot of the work away.  Honda has made the automatic clutch bikes for years.  The Trail 90 or a similar older Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc. with an auto clutch would allow anyone to build on the skills they need to balance, brake, stop and operate a motorcycle.  For those of us that have been riding motorcycles since we were kids.....the coordination it takes to operate a motorcycle with one foot shifting, the other foot braking, the left hand clutching.....and worst of all is a right hand that must use the front brake and throttle at the same time.  I tried to teach my wife to ride last summer......and it became obvious what a mismatch the grip throttle and front brake are when she squeezed the front brake and rolled on the throttle simultaneously......even on an 80cc bike this is not a combination that works out well.

I am a member of the American Motorcycle Association and recently in their magazine they had an article for new riders.....and one suggestion was that new riders don't buy their "dream" bike as their first ride.  They commented that everyone will take a spill or two on their first bike, and it was much cheaper to take these spills on a used, economy, affordable beginner bike.  Then as they developed the skills they could resell the first bike and move on to their dream bike with confidence.  That is what I am suggesting in this thread......start out with a bike that is easy to ride, easy to buy, easy to adapt - then get the bike of your dreams.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #48 - 07/16/12 at 09:16:37

.start out with a bike that is easy to ride, easy to buy, easy to adapt - then get the bike of your dreams.

wisdom,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #49 - 07/16/12 at 13:09:59

Honda built automatic motorcycles from '76 through '83 in 400cc, 450cc, and 750cc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondamatic

Although they're hard to find, all you would have to do is swap the throttle and front brake to the left.

IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 07/16/12 at 14:18:53

SALB wrote on 07/16/12 at 13:09:59:
Honda built automatic motorcycles from '76 through '83 in 400cc, 450cc, and 750cc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hondamatic

Although they're hard to find, all you would have to do is swap the throttle and front brake to the left.

already have that as a backup along with a suzukimatic

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:22:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.