Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session (Read 544 times)
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session
Reply #30 - 07/13/12 at 23:24:09

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/13/12 at 23:03:25:
Where are you located? A Suzukimatic just popped up on CL for $750 right by me! No clutch!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3137748965.html

I wasn't even looking for one and I never even heard of one of these until just now!

texas. ill have to keep my out for one of those too. never knew suzuki had one. i know honda does.

IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 07/14/12 at 00:14:34

wow. honestly i just checked out a youtube video of that, if i for some reason cant figure out something with a Savage to work for me, that looks like the route i will definitely go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCw4xqx8G7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5mDSHreM8c&feature=related

IP Logged
Realbtl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigfork MT
Reply #32 - 07/14/12 at 15:21:57

I believe that the old Indians had the controls reversed from H-D.  Something similar might work.  Left foot suicide clutch, left hand throttle and front brake, right foot rear brake, right hand jockey shift.  You wouldn't need much gripping power for the shifter, just shove it forward or back.  Rigging up a right hand jockey shift would require some shade tree engineering but it sounds like you are comfortable with that.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #33 - 07/14/12 at 15:48:11

I rode one of those automatic suzukis thought it would be nice for my wife but see had been riding a while and said she knew how to shift.That was the end of that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 07/14/12 at 16:05:12

See if you can go to a motorcycle store that sells 4 wheel ATVs, better yet see if there is a place that rents them or someone you can borrow one from. Many (most) of these use a thumb throttle which you should try and see how well you can make it function. If you can sort of rack a slide on an auto, the thumb throttle on the right will probably be fine, and is easy to test. Snowmobiles also use a thumb throttle so parts should be easy to get.

Now we just need to deal with the front break and could probably come up with a way to link it and the back break to the single pedal. Easiest way would be to allow a bunch of slop on the rear master cylinder so that it engages later than the front. Alternate would be to change to a small master cylinder for the rear so that it has a smaller advantage over the slave cylinder and won't lock the rear break. Or put the actuating lever for the front break farther out from the pedal pivot so the front cylinder gets moved farther than the rear cylinder. If you really want to get technical make the length adjustable so you can tune the front rear bias.

IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 07/14/12 at 16:50:48

Greg-E wrote on 07/14/12 at 16:05:12:
Now we just need to deal with the front break and could probably come up with a way to link it and the back break to the single pedal. Easiest way would be to allow a bunch of slop on the rear master cylinder so that it engages later than the front. Alternate would be to change to a small master cylinder for the rear so that it has a smaller advantage over the slave cylinder and won't lock the rear break. Or put the actuating lever for the front break farther out from the pedal pivot so the front cylinder gets moved farther than the rear cylinder. If you really want to get technical make the length adjustable so you can tune the front rear bias.

this and the suicide clutch post above sound like great ideas to check out. Unfortunately i havent found a bike yet. I did come across this
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3139471727.html
which is an hour or so away. If its still available Monday what should i offer for it? No way im paying $900 for an 88 w/17k miles and not running. Or should i just let it go and try and find something else? Im trying to find a not running bike for cost reasons and the fact i dont want to be out alot of $ in case i cant get something figured out.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #36 - 07/14/12 at 17:12:09

Not running but she looks nice and clean for an '86 from the pics.  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Realbtl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigfork MT
Reply #37 - 07/14/12 at 17:17:47

Just my 2 cents but I would not trust my life with a kludged linked brake system.  I want my brakes totally dependable and capable of max stopping power.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #38 - 07/14/12 at 17:47:27

"not running" on a single-cylinder bike that's almost bullet-proof? I almost guarantee it's a carb issue, it's gummed up with stale gas. I bet a simple disassemble/reassemble of the carb would make it run again. If that wasn't it, it's probably a loose wire somewhere. Thumpers are nothing but glorified dirt-bikes and believe me I'm not saying that in a bad way. It's why I've been drawn to them. When problems arise, there isn't some huge list of issues like on a multi-cylinder bike. It's something simple that someone over-looked or was just too afraid to dig into. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I wish that was the one I found when I bought mine.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 07/14/12 at 18:23:33

Pretty sure the engine has been replaced, it's got a late model paint job.

Check to see if it's a 5 speed.  also in the tech section are a list of engine s/n's to get an idea of what year it came out of.

86 to 90 not running, red flag, make sure it can turn over.
maybe take some starter fluid and see if it will start for a few seconds.
that would say it's the carb, easy fix

If it don't turn over, don't buy, people have been sticking people with busted out starters.  95 or later don't have the problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #40 - 07/14/12 at 19:35:18

Just so you'll know about scooters. The Burgman has around 50 + horsepower and weighs about 300 pounds. I know a fellow who rode one to work every day and was well pleased with its smooth ride and I ain't about to challenge one to a race. Honda is also building some high power scoots for older guys who can't sling a leg over any more. I don't remember the controls on a scooter, but don't discount the scooters because of prejudice against them. hth  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #41 - 07/14/12 at 21:54:23

Actually, the weights I found were 613 pounds for the 650 Burgman Executive, and 489 for the 400 Burgman. Yamaha's Majesty 400 claims 467 pounds. I didn't look for Honda's Silverwing.

The main difference for scooter controls is the rear brake, which is on the left handlebar where the clutch normally lives on a motorcycle. Honda's Helix had a rear brake pedal conventionally located. The scooters are automatic, using a centrifugal clutch and CVT belt drive, so there is neither a clutch nor shifter control. Some, such as the Burgman Executive, have an electronically controlled CVT with a paddle shifter that emulates discrete gear positions. On some scooters the left brake is a combined brake activating both wheel brakes, often with ABS. Because the scooters do not have a true Neutral, they usually have a brake - starter interlock so the starter will not energise unless brakes are applied. Because there is no way for the engine to hold the scooter in place when stopped (the centrifugal clutch disengages) they usually have some form of parking brake.

Many folks denigrate scooters as not being "real motorcycles." But in many ways the scooters are superior. Their automatic transmissions, along with fuel injection or automatic chokes make them very easy to drive. They almost always have built-in storage, usually big enough for at least one and sometimes two helmets. Their leg shields help to protect from wind and bugs, and their floorboards allow feet to be moved around (note that many upscale cruisers also have floorboards). When you look at styling you might note that the Polaris Victory Vision looks a lot like a big scooter.

If you want a lot of information about scooters from small to large, try www.motorscooterguide.net.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #42 - 07/15/12 at 06:59:17

Charon, I stand corrected. But the risk of being embarrassed in a race is still there, and they have larger tires and a comfy ride--"not your father's scooter".  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 07/15/12 at 20:48:52

Dave wrote on 07/13/12 at 07:16:16:
Here are some of the automatic clutch makers:
http://www.rekluse.com/
http://www.efmautoclutch.com/

I did not look to see how they could be adapated to the Savage.

thanks for both those links. The EFM looks like it would be perfect and it doesnt seem to expensive, and if they dont have one that fits ofr the savage they say on the site they can make one. thats a way to get around the clutch.

the rekluse link has a left hand rear brake set up, i can possibly use that for the front brake on a savage. it is designed to keep both the clutch lever and add a brake lever to the left side.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #44 - 07/16/12 at 06:13:38

I have been thinking about this thread for a while......and while I was moving my bike around the garage I noticed how heavy it was compared to my light trials bike.   I realize that compared to the big twins the Savage is light.....but it is not a feather weight.

I would think that a Scooter or small motorcycle with an automatic transmission would be a better starting point to begin this adventure.  Something under 200 pounds would be much easier to move around and get some experience before you move on to a bigger bike.  In watching Craigslist and eBay I have noticed that there are an awful lot of Savages that are low mileage and crashed......and a lot of it appears to be front end damage as if they got going too fast and could not stop....or someone pulled out in front of them.

It would also be a lot cheaper to get some experience on this bike and work out the throttle/clutch/brake issues.....then you would be better equipped to make the changes to the Savage if you still decide to get one.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:23:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.