Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session (Read 544 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session
Reply #15 - 07/13/12 at 10:18:01

Im waiting to learn just what he can do with his right hand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/13/12 at 10:23:06

This sounds like a nice project. With all the brains, talent and vision here, I don't see why you can't come up with a perfectly adapted scoot.

IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 07/13/12 at 11:20:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/13/12 at 10:18:01:
Im waiting to learn just what he can do with his right hand.

SOrry, i keep odd hours (works 2nd shift) so i was asleep during well, all morning.

as far as what i can do, it depends. i cant make a fist and i dont have much grip strength with what fist i can make. I can grab a regular throttle and give it a half twist or so. Im a gun owner and the best way to describe my grip strength is that on some pistols, mostly newer, i cant rack the slide. i can get a grip and pull back and the slide will come about half way back and then the spring tension is too much. The good thing, is its nothing a break in and some skateboard grip tape cant fix.

Charon wrote on 07/13/12 at 07:17:54:
I know you said  you want a Savage. I think you'd be better served to find one of the Honda models with their ABS and linked brake systems, which allows the foot pedal to apply both brakes.

i thought about that, but the goldwing is a big bike and doesnt seem like it would be rider friendly or no0b friendly. i did however think i might be able to use the linked brakes as a donor part for my project. but the goldwing uses both front and rear disc, and from what i understand the linked is actually a "half link" in that the hand brake controls like half the pistons in front and back, and the rear brake does the other half. Im sure i could make this work with one brake lever on the savage though, as the system contains a proportioning valve. just do my best to get it to 70/30. I did also wonder how i would do if i stopped on a hill. living in san antonio, we are just outside the hill country so some of the city is really hill, while some is flat. But thinking about it, i guess i could just make a stop and stay in gear.

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/12 at 08:29:59:
An aftermarket HD dual cable twist grip can be put on either side and use only 1 cable.  ATV thumb throttle might be ok on the left too.

i knew about the dual cable throttles, but then figured since the savage was a single cable it wouldnt work. But since you put it that way, i can see it working. My brain didnt think of it like that.

arteacher wrote on 07/13/12 at 05:03:28:
Me, I like to have both hands on the bars, so maybe a prosthetic of some sort to allow your right hand to at least be on the bar.
That's all I can think of.

i will have both hands on the bars at all times. im not completly disabled in my right arm. i can still "grab" the bars.

i saw mentions of an autoclutch in here, the tech at HD mentioned a Pengal(?) auto shift system, but with that you have to  ride the clutch on start-up and at stops. The autoclutch thing though, i will have to look into.

And the mentions of scooters.......  Grin id rather buy myself a 2 seater jap fun car.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 07/13/12 at 11:55:51

So maybe you can use a regular throttle if you had some help.
Ever try a throttle boss?
Another option would be to go to dual cable setup so we can put a lighter return spring.
I'd make a special right control and put the up/down shift buttons on it.
left and right brake pedals.
and leave the left control as it is.
Now if you can fit an abs brake system...   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #19 - 07/13/12 at 12:11:10

Hell, I would be interested in a push button shifter.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/13/12 at 13:17:39

May wind up modifying the handlebar on that end,,& its possible the throttle can stay on that side,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 07/13/12 at 13:46:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/13/12 at 13:17:39:
May wind up modifying the handlebar on that end,,& its possible the throttle can stay on that side,,  

Yea. I may modify the bar. I sat on some HDs a few days ao and a few felt comfy, but the right side was a bit too far out. But nothing a bend in the bar on that side wouldnt fix.

IP Logged
Realbtl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bigfork MT
Reply #22 - 07/13/12 at 14:09:42

You might be able to use a cramp buster type tab on the throttle.  Also try the google for disabled motorcyclist, there are a lot of options for moving stuff to one side only.  One you might look at is http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 07/13/12 at 14:11:33

splash07 wrote on 07/13/12 at 12:11:10:

Hell why re-invent the wheel...

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/shiftersfaq.html

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_universal.htm

WWW   IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/13/12 at 15:14:09

verslagen1 wrote on 07/13/12 at 14:11:33:
splash07 wrote on 07/13/12 at 12:11:10:

Hell why re-invent the wheel...

http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/shiftersfaq.html

http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_universal.htm

Those things are $$$ and you still need the clutch during startup and stops. I have no problem with shifting. I looked at the dual "k-lever" but $2k is rediculous.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #25 - 07/13/12 at 20:51:14

I wasn't thinking so much of the Gold Wing as of some smaller bikes. Honda's new CB250R can be had with the combined and ABS brake system, for a premium. From published reports its top speed is about equivalent to the Savage, though as a 250 its acceleration off the line will probably be slower. If you are looking at new, its MSRP even with the ABS is less than the Savage/S40.

Something else I thought I'd mention. Modifications to motorcycles typically decrease the resale value, and modifications which make the controls non-standard are likely to have a severe effect on resale. You might want to make sure any modifications are fairly easily reversible, or you might end up having to sell it as a parts bike.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 07/13/12 at 21:25:07

The decomp solenoid is pretty strong, you might try it as a shifter.
One in one direction and another in the other.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 07/13/12 at 21:31:44

Using the clutch isn't necessary to shift in the first place. Put some slight upward pressure on the lever, just enough to remove the slop, then let off the throttle just slightly while pulling up on the shifter and it will go right into the next gear. If you get good enough, your shift will be just as fast as any air-shifter out there, possibly faster. I never use the clutch to up-shift.

But why are we trying to find a replacement shifter? His foot works just fine. We need an auto-clutch.

IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/13/12 at 22:22:19

Charon wrote on 07/13/12 at 20:51:14:
I wasn't thinking so much of the Gold Wing as of some smaller bikes. Honda's new CB250R can be had with the combined and ABS brake system, for a premium. From published reports its top speed is about equivalent to the Savage, though as a 250 its acceleration off the line will probably be slower. If you are looking at new, its MSRP even with the ABS is less than the Savage/S40.

Something else I thought I'd mention. Modifications to motorcycles typically decrease the resale value, and modifications which make the controls non-standard are likely to have a severe effect on resale. You might want to make sure any modifications are fairly easily reversible, or you might end up having to sell it as a parts bike.

not looking at new. ive been searching Cl everyday as often as possible to see if a non-working bike pops up, they havent yet  :'(

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #29 - 07/13/12 at 23:03:25

Where are you located? A Suzukimatic just popped up on CL for $750 right by me! No clutch!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/3137748965.html

I wasn't even looking for one and I never even heard of one of these until just now!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.