Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session (Read 544 times)
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session
07/12/12 at 23:00:15

wallof.txt but please bare with me...

So, my name is Roger and i live in San Antonio. I introd myself in the proper thread already. Anyway, i have never ridden before but always wanted too. My dad used to ride until her got married to my mom, and his entire side of the family are active riders. However they all live up north and im here in Texas.

Anyway, im a car guy (owned a V6 swapped MR2) however i have recently been bitten by the bug to ride and have decided on a Savage after a whole lot of internet research and stuff. Thought about a Buell Blast, but i want a Savage.

There is however a problem. I was born with a disability in my right hand. Which has never really stopped me from doing anything. I can drive 5spd car just fine. This is me for reference ( http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/519/medium/P1100047.jpg ) . Now i have balance and everything so i can ride properly, i rode my bike all the time as a kid and jumped it and did all sort of crazy nuts.

Heres where i need help and maybe you guys can help me out. What can i do to the bike to completely remove the right hand controls?

I went to HD a few days ago and talked with the salesman who works part time at my mothers office, he let me sit on some bikes to get a feel for the handle bar placement and stuff and i got to sit on the buell blast training bike. i probably coulda got more info but the training class wasnt in session when we were there. i also talked with a mechanic who has done some work with the wounded warriors program. Unfortunately, he hadnt done anything for right arm disabilities so he was just as lost as i was for ideas.

Ive come up with a few ideas, but since i dont have a bike in front of me to see how it would work i cant say if it would or not. Im currently browsing CL for used possibly not working Savages (im poor), as i can wrench on it to make it run on the cheap.

Maybe you guys might have some ideas on how to eliminate the right hand controls. I know its got to be possible somehow as ive seen some bobbers without their finger controls. Also i think alot of people have seen the youtube video of the bamarider that was missing his right arm and still raced his bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtfAz7Lbio

Ideas i have so far.

follow the bamariders idea and drop the clutch lever, and move the brake over, and run a twist throttle on the left.

Thumb throttle + Linked brake system. as far as the linked brakes, google-fu came up with a dual lever foot brake that runs on 2 independent master cylinders. i know there would be pros/cons to this set-up.

Anyway, i hope some of you might have some ideas or might be able to point me in the right direction. Like i said this is my first bike so i dont have alot of knowledge on how they operate but i can learn and i understand the basics. Im up for trying anything that may work and be simple and safe. Im gonna try and find me a non running Savage so i can at least get it running and if i cant find a way for the bike to be safe for me, i will just have to realize riding aint for me and sell a running Savage for some profit.

IP Logged
RandomHero
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session
Reply #1 - 07/12/12 at 23:03:57

also, ive made this thread before at some of the other forums im on with automotive/motorcycle sections. A few of the answers have been that "maybe a Can-am is the way for you". yea, id rather buy a Miata, another MR2 or an old 200sx (s12) than buy a can-am.

Also, i mentioned above, im poor. so my budget is short, but im willing to wrench myself.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/13/12 at 05:03:28

Think about a thumb operated throttle lever for your left hand. Maybe two pedals for your left foot, one to shift and one for the rear brake. Use the pedal on the right side for the front brake, most don't use much rear brake anyway. Me, I like to have both hands on the bars, so maybe a prosthetic of some sort to allow your right hand to at least be on the bar.
That's all I can think of.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/13/12 at 05:52:21

There is an automatic clutch conversion that Enduro riders have been adding to their bikes.  It prevents them from accidently stalling their bikes in the mud and at slow speed.....maybe a model of this clutch could be adapted to the Savage.  Not having a clutch lever would allow you to use your left hand for the front brake - you would find a bike with a hydraulic clutch lever and use that lever assembly for the front brake.  I will try and find the name of the auto clutch conversion they use.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 07/13/12 at 06:57:52

First off, welcome. You have come to the right place, if anyone can find a solution for ya its the guys here at ss.com.

Thumb throttle seems like it will be pretty easy to mod up and maybe a little safer for you than a left side twist throttle. As for the front brake lever, one option is to delete the front brakes all together, some here have done it on bobbers but I dont think its the safest idea. Another option is to ad a double brake pedal that will operate both brakes, or a toe pedal for the rear brake and a heel pedal for the front. (Hmmmm I think that last idea was my best  Wink)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/13/12 at 07:03:24

Welcome to the forum, Im sorry for your troubles, but youve got something on your side you cant buy, & thats guts.. Necessity is the Mother of Invention,, now, figuring out what you need to make this work will help folks try to help you come up with the answers. I dont know a thing about what you can & cant do with the right arm. Would you tell us about what you can do? How much strength is there & what can you hold onto & stuff like that, Did you do anything to the shifter to make it easier?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/13/12 at 07:16:16

Here are some of the automatic clutch makers:
http://www.rekluse.com/
http://www.efmautoclutch.com/

I did not look to see how they could be adapated to the Savage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 07/13/12 at 07:17:54

I know you said  you want a Savage. I think you'd be better served to find one of the Honda models with their ABS and linked brake systems, which allows the foot pedal to apply both brakes. I also know a scooter doesn't fit the macho motorcycle man image, but one with a left-hand operated combined brake system might allow you to move the throttle to the left and use a thumb-operated throttle such as found on four-wheelers. The scooters have automatic transmissions, which eliminates the need for a clutch lever and shifter. Doing that would put  all the controls at your left hand.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/13/12 at 07:20:54

Suzuki builds a Scooter thatll run away from our Savages. Buuut,,, I cant remember tha name right now,,

Ahh! Bergman,, & it moves a LOT faster than a Berg, Man.,.

Hmmmmm,,, dang,, all that automatic stuff must not be cheap..

The 2009 Burgman 400 had a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $6,599. The MSRP for the 2009 Burgman 650 was $8,699 for the standard model and $9,799 for the executive. The Honda Silver Wing's 2009 MSRP started at $8,499.

Read more: Comparison Test: Suzuki Burgman Vs. Honda Scooter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6640566_comparison-burgman-vs_-honda-scooter.html#i...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/13/12 at 08:29:59

Welcome, we'll see if we can make you a club member.
1st off, the savage has a touchy rear brake, easy to lock up.
So linking the front and the back IMHO is a bad idea.
At least not w/o some major tinkerin'.
You would be linking a mechanical system with a hydraulic anyway.

What can you do with your right hand?
Maybe a grip on the frame with some controls would be an option?
At least it would steady you while you stear with the left.

Left and right foot pedals for the brakes is not a bad idea... at stops you could have either foot down.

I would make it an electric shifter, like a paddle shifter in cars.  Up/down buttons somewhere... right hand? Heels maybe.

An aftermarket HD dual cable twist grip can be put on either side and use only 1 cable.  ATV thumb throttle might be ok on the left too.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/13/12 at 08:57:06

I can't believe you guys are recommending scooters.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #11 - 07/13/12 at 09:18:11

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/13/12 at 08:57:06:

LOL  Grin I had a Burgman 650 and it would eat most cruisers for lunch off the line. Though the Burgmans (both 400 and 650) have both brakes on the handlebars: right-front, left-rear

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 07/13/12 at 09:25:05

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/13/12 at 08:57:06:

It's a matter of pragmatism. I am recommending a machine which can be made to work around physical limitations, in this case a less-functional right hand. Perhaps the easiest would be Honda's Helix scooter, now out of production. It has no controls at all (except switches) on the left. Move the throttle and front brake from the right to the left, leave its existing foot brake as-is, and the job is pretty much done. True, it is a scooter, with a 250 cc engine, automatic transmission, and a top speed of about 65 - 70 mph. It should also be available for about the same price as a Savage. It also has pretty decent storage, completely lacking on the Savage. Most important, it lets the man ride a two-wheeler, even though it "ain't a real motorsickle."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 07/13/12 at 09:37:02

The guy already made it clear he wouldn't even ride a Can-Am which is exponentially cooler than a scooter. Scooters aren't motorcycles. They're glorified mo-peds with electric start.

"Scooters are like fat chicks, they're fun to ride until your friends see you on one."

*edit* And motorcycles aren't pragmatic. They're dangerous, cumbersome in inclement weather, and don't get better mileage than a lot of cars on the road.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 07/13/12 at 10:12:40

I'm thinking the most economical way, from a cable routing point of view,... would be a right foot, gas pedal (ditch the rear brake),... get a lefty brake lever and master cylinder from a scooter, ... and rig a manual de-compression lever from a Yamaha Sr500 as a clutch...
This would require that you swap your bars and risers to 7/8"...

Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Im new here, lets have a brainstorming session

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.