Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
That's why they only do the top. (Read 88 times)
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

That's why they only do the top.
07/12/12 at 21:20:10

Because polishing the fins on the bottom sucks!

I have the regular aluminum engine like this.

I blasted my engine with 2000 degree flat black. I didn't care for it when I stood it next to the bike. I blasted over the flat black with 500 degree gloss black.
It's ok still needed a bit more.

I see the newer bikes have black engines with polished fins on the head only. They look snazzy.
That's fine too but I like it shiney!
Sorry, all I have is my phone for pictures.

Here it is as I start on the head.

Working my way around. I replace the chrome bolt for the chain guide with a regular bolt so I wouldn't scuff my chrome.

I liked the head so much I started on the jug.

The jug proved to be most difficult. The casting is not as uniform as the head, it's thinner on the fins, it's irregular because it's heavy where threads are and it's tapered so getting in there sucks all on it's own.
The result is that I chipped the paint on the tops and bottoms of the fins because I was going in crooked.

Here's a two minute photoshop job of what it'd look like with all the fins polished.

Not sure if I like it or not. If I decide I like it I'm going to clear coat it and drop it in. If not I'm going to black the bottom and then clear coat it.

Figured someone else other than me would like to see what it looks like with all the fins polished.

--Steve

IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Re: That's why they only do the top.
Reply #1 - 07/12/12 at 21:35:48

I think it has the potential to look really good... how are you going about stripping it back off, just sandpaper?

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/13/12 at 03:45:21

Sand paper and misery.
In retrospect I probably could've scraped it but there's a lot of irregularities the sandpaper smoothes out.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/13/12 at 05:09:03

Id use a block & some coarse sandpaper to get it cut down & square the fin edges off, then go to a finer paper, Its not really all that smoothly done from the factory, the contrast of fresh aluminum & black paint makes it work visually,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/13/12 at 05:38:17

I painted the engine on mine somewhere back around spring of 2000. Chevy red-orange. Smoothed and polished the head fins only. Never did clearcoat it, engine clear on bare aluminum tends to yellow, regardless of heat rating or paint brand. For the most part has held up very well, and the fin edge will shine right up with a pencil eraser if I feel like messing with it.

Use a small sanding block, your fingers will thank you. Make your own the right width out of some hardwood scrap. Glued up craft/popsicle sticks are about the right size.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:17:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › That's why they only do the top.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.