Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Computer help?...
07/11/12 at 19:08:07

Windows XP just did a security update and now my Firefox won't open... tried updating FF,.. but no joy...
Using IE6 browser to post this... Sucks...

Any ideas?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re:  Computer help?...
Reply #1 - 07/11/12 at 19:13:43

um, join us in the 21st century and get windows 7??  I don't know if the new version of Firefox would work on XP.  

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/11/12 at 20:33:20

On this system I am running XP and FF v13.0.1 with no problems.  The system did a security update this morn and I believe their were 7 modules total DLed and installed.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/11/12 at 20:47:17

You should be able to either 1 use a restore point to restore your computer to what it was before the updates, or 2 go through the program un-install area and be able to un-install the updates individually.  What most likely happened is that one or more of the security updates corrupted when it installed.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/11/12 at 21:52:08

When security is corrupt?

Its TSA

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 22:01:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/12 at 21:52:08:
When security is corrupt?

Its TSA

Or a MicroSuck product  Roll Eyes

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 22:07:06

MicroSuck & TSA are certainly not in the same class, very different creatures there,,( not that you implied otherwise),

TSA is a Magna Suck group.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 07/11/12 at 22:19:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/12 at 22:07:06:
MicroSuck & TSA are certainly not in the same class, very different creatures there,,( not that you implied otherwise),

TSA is a Magna Suck group.,

True,  but there are times that MicroSuck does manage to let more through then the TSA ever thought about turning it's back on Tongue

That's why for the most part I use some sort of Linux variant unless I'm gaming or running some other program that needs a windows based OS

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 07/11/12 at 23:07:29

MicroSuck? Seriously? I guess we can't all be uber 133t like you oh grand master anonymous black hat hacker linux user.

But anyways, just do a system restore. Anytime Windows installs updates, it creates a restore point just in case something goes wrong.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 07/11/12 at 23:30:41

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/11/12 at 23:07:29:
MicroSuck? Seriously? I guess we can't all be uber 133t like you oh grand master anonymous black hat hacker linux user.

But anyways, just do a system restore. Anytime Windows installs updates, it creates a restore point just in case something goes wrong.

I'm no hacker anymore,  I wouldn't even know where to start in this day and age.  I haven't kept up in a long time.  Things have changed way to much since I last dabbled in that stuff.  I just prefer a more stable and secure OS is all.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/11/12 at 23:53:38

I tried two restore points,...  no luck...
Was worth a try though...
I had FF11,.. updated to current FF13.0.1 with no luck...

Don't need an OS lecture,..
I have Linux Mint on my netbook,.. it has it's own problems...

What I need, is an easy button... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 07/12/12 at 00:07:42

Serowbot wrote on 07/11/12 at 23:53:38:
I tried two restore points,...  no luck...
Was worth a try though...
I had FF11,.. updated to current FF13.0.1 with no luck...

Don't need an OS lecture,..
I have Linux Mint on my netbook,.. it has it's own problems...

What I need, is an easy button... Grin...

The OS stuff was just between me and JOG.  As far as your issue not sure what else to try as I'm not there.  I've never really been good at troubleshooting and diagnosing over forum boards for computer issues. The restore points and manually removing the updates were just the top things on my mind since that is what you said had changed, just before it failed.

R.F.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 07/12/12 at 07:31:16

A couple of options...

I've been using Firefox Aurora for several weeks now and I like it a lot.  It tends to get updated at least once a day as it is a "pre-beta" but it's been very stable.  One caveat is that you might find a few add-ons don't yet work with it though most of mine have (or there's an easy alternative available).

Another option is Google's Chrome browser.  I'm using it now and it works well with this site.

In fact, the above are the only two browsers I use for my PC unless I run across a site that's been specifically coded for Microshaft's browser.  On my Android phone I use Dolphin.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 07/12/12 at 10:14:56

Folks are always lured to switching to something different, rather than trying to solve the real problem.   The problem with that, as most troubleshooters know, is that many times the new thang brings its own special set of problems and quirks.

Problem guy:  "my ford often gets flat tires"

Solution guy:  "buy a chevy"

Unless it is due to some weird hardware quirk unique on Serow's system, FF under XP should work!   If it was universal, then the web would be flooded with angry MS haters.   Again I am running the same setup on the system I am now typing on and it works fine.   Also, altho I am not one to indict viruses without sufficient evidence, I have had cases where viruses turned off system services in a subtle attempt to confuse symptoms.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #14 - 07/12/12 at 10:27:24

I would go to the Add/Remove Programs applet, check Show Updates, and uninstall the newest ones 1 at a time until I figured out which caused it. If none did, I would try something else...  Huh

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:20:47

General CategoryThe Cafe › Computer help?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.