Computer help?... (Read 192 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re:  Computer help?...
Reply #15 - 07/12/12 at 10:28:43

I run windows 7. Updated firefox and it would not run movies on this and some other sites. Rather than screw around trying to resolve the problem I just switched to Chrome and am happy with it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #16 - 07/12/12 at 10:31:08

arteacher wrote on 07/12/12 at 10:28:43:
I run windows 7. Updated firefox and it would not run movies on this and some other sites. Rather than screw around trying to resolve the problem I just switched to Chrome and am happy with it.

This may help with that: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/play-windows-media-files-in-firefox

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #17 - 07/12/12 at 10:33:34

Also, just make sure it isn't already running. Open the task manager and look for firefox.exe. If it's there, end the task(s).

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 07/12/12 at 12:52:22

360k+ wrote on 07/12/12 at 10:14:56:
Folks are always lured to switching to something different, rather than trying to solve the real problem.   The problem with that, as most troubleshooters know, is that many times the new thang brings its own special set of problems and quirks.

Problem guy:  "my ford often gets flat tires"

Solution guy:  "buy a chevy"

Unless it is due to some weird hardware quirk unique on Serow's system, FF under XP should work!   If it was universal, then the web would be flooded with angry MS haters.   Again I am running the same setup on the system I am now typing on and it works fine.   Also, altho I am not one to indict viruses without sufficient evidence, I have had cases where viruses turned off system services in a subtle attempt to confuse symptoms.

In my experience, it's often useful to see if other browsers have any similar issues.  Even if they don't, you still have an interim workaround while you continue troubleshooting.  Aurora uses the same files as Firefox so far as add-ons, cookies, bookmarks, etc. (unless a particular add-on is not valid for it).  I believe Chrome uses its own java implementation, so that should not be a common point.  I was speaking of using these as troubleshooting aides and temporary alternative workarounds.

Honestly, the first thing I would do is have Windows roll back the security update, which you should be able to do from Windows Update.  You can always reinstall it.  I would also try turning off any firewalls temporarily to test it.  This was suggested earlier as:

rfw2003 wrote on 07/11/12 at 20:47:17:
You should be able to either 1 use a restore point to restore your computer to what it was before the updates, or 2 go through the program un-install area and be able to un-install the updates individually.  What most likely happened is that one or more of the security updates corrupted when it installed.

R.F.

However, if your Ford suffers from mechanical problems excessively, I would definitely consider a different model vehicle whether it's the same make or not.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 07/12/12 at 16:04:46

Just learned something...
Holding shift while double-clicking Firefox.exe starts Firefox in "Safe Mode"... with no add-ons, profiles, or other stuff...
This is working... so, I guess I just have to play the guessing game and disable one doo-dad at a time, 'till I find the culprit...
The sucky part?.. changes are permanent... Huh...(Gulp!)...

EDIT... Got it... It was a pop-up blocker add-on...
Firefox is working without that... just going to have to find a different blocker...
(I hate pop-ups)... Angry...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #20 - 07/12/12 at 16:35:26

Serowbot wrote on 07/12/12 at 16:04:46:
Just learned something...
Holding shift while double-clicking Firefox.exe starts Firefox in "Safe Mode"... with no add-ons, profiles, or other stuff...
This is working... so, I guess I just have to play the guessing game and disable one doo-dad at a time, 'till I find the culprit...
The sucky part?.. changes are permanent... Huh...(Gulp!)...

EDIT... Got it... It was a pop-up blocker add-on...
Firefox is working without that... just going to have to find a different blocker...
(I hate pop-ups)... Angry...

I knew it had to be a quirk somewhere - danged frustrating!  Winders is so full of holes, security wise, that it's like trying to use a tea strainer to carry water; i.e., there's more hole than solid material!  Pop up blockers are kinda like anti-virus checkers; they only work until the popup guys figure out how to get around them.   It's a cops-n-robbers thang.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #21 - 07/12/12 at 17:28:41

Firefox is quirky... Had a kid running it that when he closed it, it wouldn't actually close, and then he couldn't open a new one because it was "already running"... Turned out to be a rouge Firefox profile that I ended up deleting and restoring his favorites and whatnot to.

Glad you got it sorted out. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 07/12/12 at 17:38:34

Just use Netscape and you'll have no problems and it faster too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 07/18/12 at 12:06:29

FYI... I found a pop-up blocker that works for FF... Wink...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yes-popups/

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #24 - 07/18/12 at 18:44:57

LostArtist wrote on 07/11/12 at 19:13:43:
um, join us in the 21st century and get windows 7??  I don't know if the new version of Firefox would work on XP.  

Roll Eyes

If you think Serowbot is out dated with windows xp, I must be in the stone age as I am running an old HP Omnibook 6000 with windows 2000.  Grin Grin Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:21:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Computer help?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.