Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
verslagen 1 cam chain tensioner ass'y (Read 392 times)
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

verslagen 1 cam chain tensioner ass'y
07/11/12 at 18:10:36

I have a question for verslagen 1  on the installation of the modified tensioner ass'Y I purchased  one of your modified units a few months back, iam getting ready to install it @ 3500 miles on my S40, at which point ill send you my old unit for your stock, my question is do i install it utilizing the furthest hole out at this point or should i chk the wear in about 5,ooo miles and move it to the outer hole at that point? to get full life out of the stock camchain..... thanks, mark Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: verslagen 1 cam chain tensioner ass'y
Reply #1 - 07/11/12 at 18:17:59

At just 3500 miles, install it in the stock hole, dont put more pressure on the chain than necessary. Im not even sure you could put it in the new hole if ya tried,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/11/12 at 19:24:06

With the verslavy, you can check whenever you want to and not worry it's coming apart.  Meaning, the plunger can hit end of travel and the chain go loose as you won't be in danger of it coming apart and getting caught up in the gears.  So when you hear more chain noise then usual, time to change it to the second hole.  But if you're within a couple mm's from end of travel, I'd change it.  no sense of opening it up, being that close and not changing it.

But if you change it to the second hole and it's only a couple mm's from being all the way in... it's too early.

So there's a range where you can change it or not, up to you.  Some people do it way early cause they don't want to open it up again.  I'd rather get the most out of my chain, so I'll change it when it's just about to bottom out.

Remember to grease one side of your gasket so you can take it off later and reuse it.

« Last Edit: 07/11/12 at 21:26:50 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/12/12 at 06:48:04

ok, thx guys, ! this site rocks!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif also thx for the fast replys]

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/12/12 at 11:01:54

Hey Verslagen....
What do you mean "Grease one side of the gasket?" I'm not far from installing mine too, but I've never heard of anyone greasing a gasket.
Please to illuminate me, oh wise one?  Wink

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 07/12/12 at 11:07:12

teabowl13 wrote on 07/12/12 at 11:01:54:
Hey Verslagen....
What do you mean "Grease one side of the gasket?" I'm not far from installing mine too, but I've never heard of anyone greasing a gasket.
Please to illuminate me, oh wise one?  Wink

The gasket itself is about a $17 item less shipping. In most cases it is reusable if not torn. It usually tears when trying to remove the cover. If you put a thin film of grease on at least one side, it won't stick to the case or cover and tear when opened. Upon reassembly you can simply reuse that gasket, instead of buying and waiting on a new one.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/12/12 at 12:08:49

ralfyguy wrote on 07/12/12 at 11:07:12:
The gasket itself is about a $17 item less shipping. In most cases it is reusable if not torn. It usually tears when trying to remove the cover. If you put a thin film of grease on at least one side, it won't stick to the case or cover and tear when opened. Upon reassembly you can simply reuse that gasket, instead of buying and waiting on a new one.

Smiley

I prefer the gasket to stick to the case if it does.  Apply a thin smear of grease to the cover.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/12/12 at 14:07:15

Doodes.... That's genius.
That's why I come to this place.
Thanks guys!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/12/12 at 20:10:53

I like MY gasket stuck to the cover.. ( Not that I have any idea why Versy likes it the way he likes it, I mite change my mind if he explained why he likes it that way)

anyway, if its stuck on the cover, then if Im working in there, the gasket is layin "Over there",, stuck on the cover & I cant Booger it all up messin around in the guts of the motor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #9 - 07/12/12 at 21:32:09

I went to the second hole at 8000 miles as the pin was just a couple mms from its end of travel. unless something happens in there I don't plan to open it up agian untill about 40000, we'll see.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 07/12/12 at 21:37:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/12/12 at 20:10:53:
I like MY gasket stuck to the cover.. ( Not that I have any idea why Versy likes it the way he likes it, I mite change my mind if he explained why he likes it that way)

anyway, if its stuck on the cover, then if Im working in there, the gasket is layin "Over there",, stuck on the cover & I cant Booger it all up messin around in the guts of the motor.

I've had them stick on both ways, stuck to the cover got snagged on the clutch.  Stuck to the case means better oil passageway sealing.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/13/12 at 05:14:42

Well, POOT,,, I guess I shoulda asked before I slapped it on,, but, but,, it ws SOOoo easy, just lay the side cover on the bench, oooze the goo on it nice & even like,, lay the gasket on it & let it dry,, well,, dang,,

IP Logged
simm22
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/14/12 at 15:46:41

Thinking its about time to get modified cam chain tensioner. Verslagen 1 do you have any available?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 08/02/12 at 21:27:29

FWIW....

I put a Verslavy in mine (see signature block) at 10,100 miles.  I could not get to the second hole at all at that time, as the chain was too tight.

It's currently still sitting at the first hole, the bike currently has 12,400 miles on it.

Just another data point.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bobbing Tom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/09/12 at 03:30:49

I have opened my '87 engine for inspection, so far it looks pretty sweet. the odometer reads +25k miles, the cam chain plunger is at 11 mm measured on plunger shaft. How long until I should be worried about plunger problems e.g plunger falling out?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:28:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › verslagen 1 cam chain tensioner ass'y

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.