Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
hmmm, almost happy, fairing on Triumph (Read 315 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: hmmm, almost happy, fairing on Triumph
Reply #15 - 07/11/12 at 17:22:00

Try optimizing the fairing position without any additional bracket work.  Just place it on there however, stuff towels, foam or whatever behind it, step back and decide if the overall fairing needs to be hacked.  I think that will help you decide.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 07/11/12 at 17:24:51

EJID wrote on 07/11/12 at 16:03:56:
I agree it would look more "finished" if it gets moved down some more like your original photoshop you posted of it back on 4/11/12.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1334169286/6#6

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/mxr199/TriumphStory/MYBONNEVILLEDecorated...

yeah, see how my handlebars are going through the windshield on that photoshop???

that's why it's a "concept" sketch, also, that fairing  in the photoshop isn't sized or proportionally correct, as it turns out. I dream 'em up good don't I?  

:'(

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/11/12 at 18:13:43

LostArtist wrote on 07/11/12 at 17:11:23:
darn, I haven't felt this beat up since art school

Well,, harsh as it may feel right now, just think how youd feel if we all just said your labors & investment have paid off & it looks great & you spent the $$$ for the paintwork & you got shot down on it later?
Heck, man, you knew before you asked,, youre into shape & design & how things look,, its what you do,, & you know it looks, well,, like socks on a rooster,,but youre not done, not yet,,But I do think the overall height of it is too much for that bike to wear & not look like a chihuahua wearing a bulldog's head,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/11/12 at 18:49:38

yeah, I know, just seriously, with everything I've been through trying to get this to work, this is almost the best it gets unless I get new lower handle bars or clip ons and change the total ergos of the bike, which I don't want to do

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/11/12 at 21:56:03

Well,, Im sure everyone here learned something,, test fit things before a ton of labor goes in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #20 - 07/12/12 at 10:37:24

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/11/12 at 14:34:07:
IMO, it's way too high. From the side the tank should be more or less centered in the fairing opening. Maybe go almost straight up from the opening, cutting off the wrap around part of the wind shield. That might let you lower it & keep the stock bars. Otherwise, it looks like it was meant for clubman or clip-on style bars. But if you could get it down so the headlight is in the right spot, it would look good.

+1

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
A Trick
Reply #21 - 07/12/12 at 11:01:10

Set up a camera on a tri-pod & get several good side views, some without the fairing. Pick a view that give good detail & make some prints of just the bike & with the fairing. Cut out the fairing, trim it & fit it to the bike picture. For me it's easier to figure out in paper than on a 'puter screen. Huh

I still think it will work with those w/s side parts cut away. Cool & look good! Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #22 - 07/12/12 at 11:02:20

The photoshop concept looks great.  You might be surprised how comfortable a set of clubman bars can be.  They're not expensive.  You can get them under $40 on Ebay and easily get $20 back on Craig's list if you hate them. (Be sure to get 1".)
But if you're not going to commit to go all the way then I'd get rid of the fairing.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 07/12/12 at 11:28:15

updated images, it is MUCH MUCH lower now, but now the question is, is it too far forward? and because of the bracketing, there really isn't much I can do with it being too far forward, I dont' think anyway, but I also didn't think I could get it this low, so who knows.   I don't have great photos here, these were taken with my phone and it was raining pretty hard so I didn't get it out since I'm a wimp to the rain  Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 07/12/12 at 11:40:30

looks to me as the top should be rotated back some so the front is parrallel to the frame.

WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 07/12/12 at 19:30:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/12 at 21:56:03:
Well,, Im sure everyone here learned something,, test fit things before a ton of labor goes in it.

so, here's the complete story on the fairing, since some of you seem to think I'm a total idiot or something (well, I probably deserve that).  

I go to farleyandace.com/fairings.html and I see  

and I think, I like that, it's on a Triumph Bonneville, I own a triumph bonneville, so I email them about the fairing, telling them the details of my bike, make, model, year, so it is made to order to fit my bike (so I think) I send them a photoshop mock up of my vision, they are digging it, I'm digging it, we talk about getting it painted up there and then shipped to me, they quote $700 for the paint job, I'm not comfortable with that, not before putting it on the bike and "test fitting it"  so I get it shipped down just primed gray like it is now. So they make the fairing, ship it down and I get it in late March, or early April or something like that.

I don't have a garage, but I have a good buddy who let me use his once and awhile. So I get my bike and the fairing over there and we spend the Saturday putting it on. To put on the fairing, you have to strip the bike of it's gas tank, which, as usual, means taking off the seat, and for safety, disconnecting the battery, undoing a few bolts and disconnecting the fuel line and an electrical connection, anyway, we get everything on the bike and the fairing interferes with the forks when they are at full lock, turning side to side, the fairing itself is rubbing and hitting the forks, and it's kinda crooked and not looking the best on the bike. Since I'm not a master installer of this custom piece, and the guys that make it are in Pennsylvania, I'm in Texas, so I can't just go over there and get them to put it on. so thinking I just messed something up, I email them and tell them what's going on, the offer some advice and the next weekend I try some of that, well, still not working right, I point out some issues with the fairing to them and they say they'll send some new brackets and pieces, so I wait for them.

I put my bike in running order so I can ride a few days. I ride, it's good.

I'm hoping the new brackets when they come will fix this so I don't have to cut up the fairing to make it work.  So the brackets come but my friend is on vacation and working weekends for the next couple of weeks, so I don't get to work on it for awhile, and I'm enjoying being able to ride my bike, we were having unusually nice weather for late May early June here.  

So my friend gets a weekend off and I get to use the garage again, I put the bike back up on the jack, tear it all down again, put the new brackets on and try everything again, still no good luck, the front top brackets of the sides is pushing the fairing into the forks still.  so, bummed out by this, cause this fairing was supposed to have been made to fit my bike, I decide to cut the fairing where it's rubbing my forks, so we get the fairing all back up on the bike, adjust it, and end up with the first result, my buddy is kinda not into doing this, can't really blame him, and I'm just looking to get this thing over with at this time also.

so it's on the bike, I take the bike and fairing for a test ride, everything seems good, from the seat nothing is in the way and it blocks the wind nicely so it's functional.  I take some photos, I start looking at the photos and start thinking, mmm, that is a bit high huh?  wonder how noticeable that is. . .  so now we are here.  

the lesson from this is, everything is fixable, the only reason why I was able to lower it this time was because I had already cut the fairing to fit it as it was before, if I hadn't have done that, if I mounted it lower, it would still be rubbing on the forks. Now all I gotta do is figure out some way of pushing it back about 3 inches or so, which I may or may not be able to do because of how the bracketing works, if I could make my own  custom brackets, that'd help, but I'm not sure I want to spend another month on this project with my bike in my friends garage.  it is really close to being good, and if I can't get it to move back, well, it's okay, I'd be about 92% happy with it the way it is.  maybe I can find something really cool to put in that space, speakers or something, idk  

so I ordered some fairing kit that didn't work exactly like advertised but I got it working.  I shoulda just cut the thing to start with, but once you cut it, you cant' really just glue it back together.  

the other lesson here is, when you order a "custom" piece that's not from the factory, get ready to deal with some sh!t, so be prepared for that.  and get a garage   Tongue

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #26 - 07/13/12 at 01:09:11

Does it look too far forward to you?

I find it funny that you mention you haven't felt this "beat up" since art school but has anything really changed since then? Why are you so focused on everyone else's opinion? Isn't that what the point of being an artist is? It's something you like, so you like it - or conversely it's something you don't like, therefore you just don't like it. That's all there is to it. To hell with everyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIKdJo5QexQ#t=56m04s

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #27 - 07/13/12 at 06:54:29

Looks much better now than it did. Fairing notch base where the forks go through should always be lined up with the mid-line or base of the lower triple tree.

Why was it such a pain to deal with? Simple, those style fairings were originally designed for track only motorcycles, no gauges, headlight, high handle bar or bulky stock tank in the way.

I think you've done pretty good taking a compromise design and making it work. As for getting it to suck back tighter to the bike... probably not. Looks like space is getting a bit tight.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 07/13/12 at 10:50:44

now we're talking, the sides still need to be bolted to there back brackets to pull them in, but this is SO close to what I originally envisioned,  I'm really happy now, not going to worry about pushing it back towards the bike any more, I'd only get maybe a half inch back, just gotta adjust the windshield some so it's not rubbing so bad on the handlebars, I know it should be tilted down a bit but I don't think I can do that with the stock handle bars.  This is Good!  after I get all the rest of it finalized, off to paint with it. Thank you all, this is why I ask for criticism so I get it and don't stop with my normal complacent attitude

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #29 - 07/13/12 at 19:49:21

If you ever get tired of the fairing and take it off all you need is a National Fly Screen. That little thing looks sharp and it takes the wind off the vital chest and arm muscles. Makes a 500 mile day easy. Serenity has done a 400 mile day with me and thats all I had on my Savage.. I had one on my 2000 Thunderbird and it was sharp. Almost a cafe racer look.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:26:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › hmmm, almost happy, fairing on Triumph

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.