Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
hmmm, almost happy, fairing on Triumph (Read 315 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

hmmm, almost happy, fairing on Triumph
07/11/12 at 11:25:15

So at the beginning of the year I got this fairing kit for my Triumph Bonneville, it wasn't just a bolt on kit, unfortunately, after months of struggling with it, this is what I've got now. before I go spend $500 for a paint job, I want to get some opinions.  my main concern is, is it too high on the bike?  does that make it look too weird that it is that high?  with the stock handle bars, I really only have another inch or maybe 2 inches at the most where I could lower it without my handlebars hitting the fairing at full lock. I'm about 85% happy with this the way it is, if I could get it lowered I'd be at most 90% happy, this project was way more of a pain than I would have liked.  

all opinions welcome, I'd hate to start over again, but filling holes for mounting is easier before a paint job.  I need some fresh eyes, I've been living with this for a week and I get this gut sinking feeling when I look at it sometimes, I wanna know if it's just me

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: hmmm, almost happy, fairing on Triumph
Reply #1 - 07/11/12 at 11:41:07

Personally,.. I like the bike better without it... It's a beautiful machine...
Hate to see it covered up...
... but, that's just me...

I also agree, the fairing seems to sit too high... I'd want to get the headlight down to where it was stock... maybe impossible...

...again,.. JMHO... Huh...

PS.. If you had showed the pics and said you're thrilled with it,.. I would have lied and said it looks great...
...but, since you asked,.. I'm guessing you have your own doubts...

So, you get my honest opinion... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 07/11/12 at 11:57:37

I agree that the bike is a great looking bike by itself, though I also think that fairing would look good painted to match the bike.  If I were in your place, I'd think about my riding conditions and if the fairing is fulfilling its purpose functionally.  If it's causing you additional drag or obstructs your vision, forget it.  If it's protecting you, reducing your resistance and fatigue and feels right, then I'd paint that puppy and enjoy it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/11/12 at 12:00:52

I can go back to stock easily enough, on my test ride with the fairing, it helped get the wind off my chest and legs a good bit so that was kinda nice.  the stock bars are a limiting factor as far as lowering it, I could maybe lower it a few inches, maybe. . . but I"m really sick of working on it.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 07/11/12 at 14:25:59

I think it'll look a hell of a lot better, and smaller and more integrated once painted black to match the bike.

Positioning: I'd try to pitch it forward (nose downward) a few degrees as well as lower about an inch.  That way it won't seem to be going off up away from the bike, plus the bottom of your tank will match up as a tangent of the swoopy curve of the fairing.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 14:31:47

Boule’tard wrote on 07/11/12 at 14:25:59:
I think it'll look a hell of a lot better, and smaller and more integrated once painted black to match the bike.

Positioning: I'd try to pitch it forward (nose downward) a few degrees as well as lower about an inch.  That way it won't seem to be going off up away from the bike, plus the bottom of your tank will match up as a tangent of the swoopy curve of the fairing.

good idea!  now I have to delay painting to try that out this weekend Sad

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 14:34:07

IMO, it's way too high. From the side the tank should be more or less centered in the fairing opening. Maybe go almost straight up from the opening, cutting off the wrap around part of the wind shield. That might let you lower it & keep the stock bars. Otherwise, it looks like it was meant for clubman or clip-on style bars. But if you could get it down so the headlight is in the right spot, it would look good.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/11/12 at 14:39:24

here it is blacked out, photoshopped

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/11/12 at 15:13:32

Hate to say,.. 'cause I know you're fed up,.. but,..

The bottom part needs to come down a couple of inches,.. and the headlight part needs to be detached, cut, and rotated, for a more downward tilt then re-attached...
That would give you more clearance for the bars, and get the headlight in the right place...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/11/12 at 15:29:55

this is carbon fiber, I'm not cutting and rotating and then re-attaching much, it's been a pain already, I've already had to cut bigger areas for the forks to come through.  and I don't have a freaking welder to make my own custom brackets and crap.

I might be able to tilt it a little bit. but that pushes the bottom all out of alignment

I REALLY WANT TO HAVE THIS DONE SO I CAN FREAKING RIDE AGAIN!

idk

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 07/11/12 at 16:03:56

I agree it would look more "finished" if it gets moved down some more like your original photoshop you posted of it back on 4/11/12.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1334169286/6#6

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 07/11/12 at 16:20:30

Myself I'm not a real big fan of the static style fairings.  The ones that are 2 piece and the top portion moves with the forks I like better.  But that's just me.  I also agree though with the others,  From looking at it, it needs to move down some still and the tilt of it is wrong for the lines of the bike.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/11/12 at 16:31:26

I have seen bikes with a fairing, but thats a fairing, with a bike,,
The only way I see that working out is with extensive modification,
IOW, it fits like socks on a rooster,.But you know that. I know you know that, youre just hoping & praying people will tell you it looks okay & go paint it,,because youve got so much time & $$ in it,, & frankly, I dont blame you one bit,, but to be honestly perfect with ya, unless youve got the ability to section a hunk out of it & close the handlebar end clearance gap down, theres not gonna be any making it look right,& then youd have to get the headlight hole back in it,, Im not sayin it cant be done, but w/o being there & studying it, theres no way to say that it would look good even if you did all that,.,

Is there not a nice little shield that goes on that bike? Do you need leg protection from the wind?

Ohh,, When youre sitting comfortably on the bike, where is the top of the center of the windshield relative to your head?

I think the fairing itself is a nice looking piece, maybe sell it & spend that $$$ on a windshield?

Bummer to put heart & cash into a project & it not work out like ya had in mind,, I can relate,,Ohh Buddy, I can RElate,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 07/11/12 at 17:03:57

Looks way too high to me as well. You say you can't weld but can't you just bend up some brackets from stuff you can find at home depot? If you say it would just require too much modification regardless, I think it's time to hang up this idea. Sometimes that's all you can do because things just look better in our head than we'll be able to produce.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/11/12 at 17:11:23

darn, I haven't felt this beat up since art school

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com