Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
exhaust screw-am i in trouble? (Read 300 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Re: exhaust screw-am i in trouble?
Reply #15 - 07/19/12 at 11:01:06

Did you buy one of those carbide drill bits? Carbide is harder than HSS and you should be able to drill a hole in the middle and try to mill it out from there. Or maybe give it another shot at extraction once you drilled that hole. It's gonna be tedious, but should be doable.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #16 - 07/19/12 at 11:01:20

Take it to a machine shop or welder & have them weld a nut to the stud. I've done this many times with sucess. The heat from welding usually helps with getting the broken stud out, too. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 07/19/12 at 11:09:50

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/19/12 at 11:01:20:
Take it to a machine shop or welder & have them weld a nut to the stud. I've done this many times with sucess. The heat from welding usually helps with getting the broken stud out, too. Cool

That is a better idea even. Set the nut centered on the broken stud and get a tack weld right through the middle. If the weld is good enough, it should come right out.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #18 - 07/19/12 at 11:14:57

ralfyguy wrote on 07/19/12 at 11:09:50:
RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/19/12 at 11:01:20:

That is a better idea even. Set the nut centered on the broken stud and get a tack weld right through the middle. If the weld is good enough, it should come right out.  

Exactly right! And if it breaks off you can usualy just get another nut & try again. I've used this technique to get broken exhaust bolts out of heads. Sometimes it was easier to get a welder to it than a drill. Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 07/19/12 at 13:43:55

highlander10 wrote on 07/19/12 at 10:44:27:
a week or so later... the tap is still there and i spend 20euros in different dremel tools trying to dig around the tap so as to pull it out and then refill the hole with aluminium in liquid form. any other suggestions. I include a recent photo. Greetz savages

If the welding technique does not work, and you run out of options - then I still believe the dremel is your best bet.  It is time consuming and will probably take and hour or two....along with a handful of grinding bits.  I have used this method and it does work.

The common burrs won't work - you must get a diamond bit or the chainsaw ones.  Not sure which color or size would work best - but below is a link to what the look like.  I ground out a similar stud on a lawnmower block using this method.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-454-Grinding-Stone-16/dp/B000LNJX1I/ref=sr_1_11?...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #20 - 07/24/12 at 05:29:39

two weeks later! I did it. the tap and the screw are past!
Now the story goes like this. The outer half of the hole has diameter of 8mm and the rest half is as it used to.
I need new threads for sure but which solution is the strongest? first is as they told me Helicoil that i put together with lock tite after i tap with tap of 10mm and the other
one is that i fill the hole with liquid aluminium and hardener and then tap new threads over there.

Open again to all suggestions

IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #21 - 07/24/12 at 05:31:57

and of course the picture

2012-07-23_15_57_44.jpg
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/24/12 at 06:35:16

A helicoil could work but usually if it gets that bad I like to use a keensert/timesert.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#key-locking-threaded-inserts/=ijmjo0

--Steve

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 07/24/12 at 11:13:30

If the threads isn't stripped all the way out, tap it with a 5/16 standard which is about identical in diameter as an M8, but has a more coarse thread and you basically just cut a new thread over the old one. Then use a 5/16 x1 bolt.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 11:19:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust screw-am i in trouble?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.