Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
exhaust screw-am i in trouble? (Read 300 times)
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
exhaust screw-am i in trouble?
07/11/12 at 09:04:57

Hi,
i took the exhaust off to wrap it and the right screw broke. i tried to extract but now i have a broken screw and a hole in it. What can i do? I am thinking of pulling the engine down.

Open to all proposals

2012-07-10_22_19_15.jpg
  IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Re: exhaust screw-am i in trouble?
Reply #1 - 07/11/12 at 09:05:30

one more

2012-07-10_22_19_28.jpg
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/11/12 at 09:27:19

And you've already tried an easy out tool?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/11/12 at 09:45:45

Bigger easy out.
If I recall those are m8x1.25. Since you're already off center drill it out with a .250 or .265 drill and it should penetrate one wall causing the screw to collapse which will make it easier to extract. Then just retap it.

--Steve

IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #4 - 07/11/12 at 14:13:55

I tried to extract the screw, nothing. then i tried to make new threads and the tool broke inside but just a part of it like smthg less than 1cm...i am thinking of drilling till everything is out. It is so hard to make new threads cause all these thread tools look soft in comparison with the engine's metal. Is this a dangerous let's say area for the engine? can i damage the cylinder?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 14:56:26

It looks like there is some depth there,.. is there?...
Can you find a common blade screwdriver that's just tight in the hole?... then, tap it in tight with a mallet and try to unscrew... plenty of penetrant oil...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 15:03:14

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 07/11/12 at 15:36:01

highlander10 wrote on 07/11/12 at 14:13:55:
I tried to extract the screw, nothing. then i tried to make new threads and the tool broke inside but just a part of it like smthg less than 1cm...i am thinking of drilling till everything is out. It is so hard to make new threads cause all these thread tools look soft in comparison with the engine's metal. Is this a dangerous let's say area for the engine? can i damage the cylinder?

Tools like taps and easy outs are VERY hard steel, but also brittle (they don't bend), so you have to work with them more gingerly than regular nuts and bolts.   Use plenty of oil or anti seize, and twist just a little at a time before backing the tool out to clear the filings.   In any case, I think these tools are much harder than the head itself, or even the bolt you're trying to remove.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 07/11/12 at 18:26:56

highlander10 wrote on 07/11/12 at 14:13:55:

Is that a crack and a bead of weld in the head? Anyhow, see if you cant drill it out just a wee bit wider (carefully) so as to get as close to the threads as possible without messing up the threads. Then take a small punch with a nice flat edge placed against the edge of the bolt standing above the surface of the head and give it a sharp tap with a hammer to collapse the threads of the bolt in on themselves. This works well. Might come out in pieces but then you can clean up the threads in the head with a clean oiled tap. The key is to get the walls of the bolt as thin as possible without damaging the threads in the head. Take your time, It will come out.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/11/12 at 18:30:47

I would get my little soldering torch ( $10.00 at Lowes), fill it with butane & remove the soldering tip & heat that thing up good, then, Id take my squirt bottle ( set to pump a stream) & squirt Ice Water in the hole youve drilled, then Id put a penetrating oil on it & let it sit.
I wouldnt stick an eze out  in it yet,.They have to spread the dutchman to bite it,,YOuve got stuff sticking up I think.. Id work at it with alternating heat & cold water & oil, then Id take a pin punch & stick down to the bottom & give it a few quick smacks with a lite hammer. Ill bet you can cut a groove across it ( IF ya do it so you make square shoulders) & back it out with vise grips on a screwdriver,,

Or maybe grind a bolt down to go in the hole & JB weld it,,If it goes deep enough & you get enough surface area covered, it otta bring it out,

Antisieze is your friend, use it going back together,

& FWIW, you could spend hours messin with it doin it my way,, or just a minute or so with an eze out, OR, the eze out could cause you great pain,, I have some, I even have some tungsten carbide ones, I guess theyre about the best Ive seen, & when they work out,, theyre the greatest! Ohhh, but when they dont,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/11/12 at 18:35:59

If the other methods don't work....and you have a Dremel tool, you can slowly grind away on the bolt until it is very thin.  I have done this and ground until you can just break through the bolt - then use an ice pick or sharp punch to carefully pick out the remains of the bolt.  It takes time - but not as long as it would to break the engine down.  Even if you do brea the engine down.....you still have a broken bolt stuck in the cylinder!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 07/11/12 at 20:48:17

As mentioned in the referred to post, look into EDM, older machine shops should be able to provide the service.  Once an easy-out has broken off, you are trying to drill through hardend metal..difficult to do.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/11/12 at 21:50:41

Trippah wrote on 07/11/12 at 20:48:17:
As mentioned in the referred to post, look into EDM, older machine shops should be able to provide the service.  Once an easy-out has broken off, you are trying to drill through hardend metal..difficult to do.

Once an easy-out has broken off, you are trying to drill through hardend metal..difficult to do. [/quote]

Which is why I go to great lengths to avoid putting an eze out in a dutchman,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #13 - 07/12/12 at 15:04:42

today i decided to pull the motor down and tomorrow i'll bring to a local workshop that is open to public for such works. there is a guy who gives courses about motor repairs and so on and promised to help.
Thanks n i'll let you know

IP Logged
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Reply #14 - 07/19/12 at 10:44:27

a week or so later... the tap is still there and i spend 20euros in different dremel tools trying to dig around the tap so as to pull it out and then refill the hole with aluminium in liquid form. any other suggestions. I include a recent photo. Greetz savages

2012-07-19_16_08_42.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 09:27:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust screw-am i in trouble?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.