Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bout to pull trigger on prog shocks, 12 or 12.5?! (Read 89 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bout to pull trigger on prog shocks, 12 or 12.5?!
07/10/12 at 16:17:32

I tend to obsess over the small stuff, and I'm having trouble deciding on 12 vs 12.5 progressive 412 shocks.  Has anyone done either and not liked it, or wished they'd gone bigger/smaller? I've seen a picture of a yellow bike with 12.5s that I like the look of (think it's a bike off of this forum, google image "suzuki savage shocks").

As far as I can tell, problems may or may not include:
Kickstand too short
Oil level glass reads off
tank vs reservoir ratio lessening
belt cover adjustments needed.

I don't use the belt guard anyway.  Tanks reservoir size doesn't matter. So of the other two, are these problems I'll only have with 12.5 or with both?

Also, I'm tall so any height increase seems like an advantage to me. Ground clearance added also a benefit as I live a little ways off paved roads. Is the gap between the rear wheel and fender going to cause any kind of air trap I should worry about gas mileage wise?  I remember the gap on the picture I saw looked pretty big.  Any other pros cons I'm missing here?

Thanks
Josh C

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Bout to pull trigger on prog shocks, 12 or 12.
Reply #1 - 07/10/12 at 16:23:31

I have the 12.5's on mine and I like 'em a lot.  The definitely lift the rear of the bike considerably and you'll notice it.  She'll also lean more on the sidestand.  I fixed that by bolting a hockey puck to the bottom of my sidestand.  I'm sure the 12's would be more than enough as most folks are good with 11's.  I'll keep my 12.5's though.  I pulled the belt guard off and I have the bike lifted when I change the oil.

While this photo wasn't taken for this purpose, it should give you an idea as to how high the rear is with the 12.5's on it.  They are on their lowest setting.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/10/12 at 20:42:54

Was reading through some posts about this and saw two things,

"Babbalou,  my concern is the oil will sit too high at the crank shaft even though it may be reading low at the sight glass.  The long term consequences of a condition like this are catastropic!  If the crankshaft is slapping the oil as it spins it will cause it to foam which will do a number of REALLY BAD THINGS.  First it will dramatically increase the oil pressure inside the crankcase and cause seals to be pushed out and begin to leak.  In addition, foamed oil losses most of its lubricating properties and will cause increased ring/cylinder wall wear and premature bearing failures."

And two
12.5 lift putting the axle bolt behind the muffler

Either of those concerns to be had? Also saw an exmember red2k1 say theyd gone with 12.5 but would go no higher than 12 if they started over, but no reason given. Grrr.

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 07/10/12 at 21:06:47

Hay Rob !

That a really nice Crash-Bar...  Whats if off ???? Shocked

Nice looking bike all-to-gether !!

Josh

I've got a 12.5"  from a 250cc Honda dirt bike on mine and fill the oil up to the top of the window without issues.     Go for it !  It will corner a lot better !

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 07/11/12 at 07:33:29

MMRanch wrote on 07/10/12 at 21:06:47:
Hay Rob !

That a really nice Crash-Bar...  Whats if off ???? Shocked

Nice looking bike all-to-gether !!

Josh

I've got a 12.5"  from a 250cc Honda dirt bike on mine and fill the oil up to the top of the window without issues.     Go for it !  It will corner a lot better !

Smiley

I'm pretty sure he has stated that those are the Wingerline Highway bars that are so hard to get for our bike... good luck finding a set  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 09:51:46

It is indeed the Wingerline highwaybar.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 10:42:54

j wrote on 07/10/12 at 20:42:54:
12.5 lift putting the axle bolt behind the muffler.

If the axle does line up with the muffler and prevent you from removing the rear wheel without taking off the muffler.....pull the axle out and insert it from the left side - with the nut behind the muffler.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bout to pull trigger on prog shocks, 12 or 12.5?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.