Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saved by this site (Read 98 times)
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Saved by this site
07/10/12 at 13:20:50

I left my office this afternoon to head across town to a meeting.  I walked up to the bike to put my key in and noticed the ignition was not in the off position.  Oops.  Now I have a dead battery and no way to get to my meeting.  I quick ran inside, hopped on this site and searched on how to pop the clutch on this bike.  

I walked the bike a block to the nearest hill, turned the ignition on, turned her to prime, choked it, kicked it into 2nd, and sat down and kicked my legs like an idiot down the hill and got it running after two tries.  

I then pulled right into a parking lot at the bottom of the hill to put on my helmet and backpack and promptly put the kickstand down with the bike in 1st and killed it.  Back up the hill I go to do it all over again.  I still made it to the meeting on time, and now consider myself an expert on popping the clutch on this machine.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Saved by this site
Reply #1 - 07/10/12 at 13:46:10

Congratulations on your success.......How much do you weigh?

I have owned and ridden motorcycles for years, and push starting them was never a problem as I always had 2 stroke bikes until recently.

When my battery failed to start the Savage at a gas station when I went to fuel up - I had no luck push starting the bike.  The gas station was located along the Ohio River, and there was not a hill within a mile of me.  My wife was with me and try as we might we could not get the bike started.  I tried in 2nd and 3rd gear and even with a hard bounce on the seat as I let the clutch out - the only thing that I got was a sliding back tire.  I weigh 160 pounds and even in 4th or 5th gear I could only get 1 revolution of the engine before the back wheel would lock up and slide.  In 4th or 5th gear when the engine did fire.......I could not pull the clutch in fast enough to keep the engine running at the low speed that my wife and I could push on flat ground....and all I could ever get was a single POP before things came to a sliding halt....I felt like such a failure.  If it were not for the intelock with nuetral I could have used the starter button to activate the compression release - but with the bike in gear while pushing the starter button does nothing.  We finally had to get some jumper cables and start the bike that way.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
heroicseven

oops, I broke it.

San Diego
Reply #2 - 07/10/12 at 14:17:31

I left my key on too and killed my battery. I think I damaged the battery somehow and it would not even start rolling down my hill which is long and steep. It finally worked at the bottom but for some reason the battery was so drained that it could not sustain the engine at anything but a hair past idle. I had to walk it and clutch out to keep it from dying and barely got it home Undecided. Replaced the battery and it started like a champ. I would say to be cautious when using a battery that you've drained completely in my experience they never bounce back 100% and are subject to leave you stranded. Shocked

Glad you got it workin' tho, and I feel your pain with the kickstand Wink

00' raptor - supertrapp - 52.5 - 155 - half spacer - versaved
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/10/12 at 14:19:49

Dave wrote on 07/10/12 at 13:46:10:
In 4th or 5th gear when the engine did fire.......I could not pull the clutch in fast enough to keep the engine running at the low speed that my wife and I could push on flat ground....and all I could ever get was a single POP before things came to a sliding halt.... I felt like such a failure.  If it were not for the intelock with nuetral I could have used the starter button to activate the compression release - but with the bike in gear while pushing the starter button does nothing.  We finally had to get some jumper cables and start the bike that way.

It is tricky to do. One thing that may help is putting the choke on part way. Another thing is if the battery is too discharged, the CDI has insufficient voltage to generate a sufficient spark.

It doesn't hurt to periodically check the battery terminals. I once had a terminal vibrate loose, causing starting problems. Also check all grounds. Don't run the tank down to reserve then fuel, if possible.  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/10/12 at 14:45:44

If it were not for the intelock with nuetral I could have used the starter button to activate the compression release - but with the bike in gear while pushing the starter button does nothing.  We finally had to get some jumper cables and start the bike that way.  

You have to pull the clutch in, push the starter button, then release the clutch, don't release the button till it's chugging since deactivating the starter is automatic with release of the clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 11:01:05

Congratulations on your success.......How much do you weigh? 

I'm 5'11 and 155lbs.

The hill was definitely necessary for me.  I tried it in our parking lot initially without any success.

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/12 at 14:45:44:
If it were not for the intelock with nuetral I could have used the starter button to activate the compression release - but with the bike in gear while pushing the starter button does nothing.  We finally had to get some jumper cables and start the bike that way.  

You have to pull the clutch in, push the starter button, then release the clutch, don't release the button till it's chugging since deactivating the starter is automatic with release of the clutch.

I don't believe I hit the start button when I popped the clutch.  It was a bit chaotic, so I could have done it instinctively and not remembered.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:27:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saved by this site

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.