Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing the airbox, trying to keep side covers (Read 97 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Removing the airbox, trying to keep side covers
07/10/12 at 09:46:21

My title pretty much says it all.  I've installed the K&N RC-1250 cone filter, and instead of leaving the gigantic, unused airbox in place, I'd like to remove it and free up all that space.  At the same time, I still want to be able to mount the side covers.  I already have an idea as to what I'll do on the left side, but I'm not sure where to start on the right.

Has anyone else kept their side covers?  I want to be able to tuck the wires and secure them behind the covers.  Later down the road, I may make some kind of bracket to shift the battery box back behind the covers.

I'm appreciative of any help you guys have to offer!

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: Removing the airbox, trying to keep side cover
Reply #1 - 07/10/12 at 10:56:45

left side cover mounts to the bracket that holds the CDI box.

Right side will require a little ingenuity though, maybe welding some tabs right onto the frame or using a chopped up portion of the original airbox?

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 07/10/12 at 16:00:30

That was my thought on the left side.  I was going to make a small bracket to attach the CDI bracket to the frame mounting tabs for the airbox.  The right side I'm thinking about fabing a bracket mounting in a similar way that the side cover would bolt to.  Not too interested in chopping up the airbox, but it might be easier.  I'll just have to keep an open mind.

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #3 - 07/10/12 at 21:50:21

I wound up using some scrap 1-1/4" wide  welding steel that I had laying around the garage to build my bracket on the left side.  Pics and method will come tomorrow for anybody wishing to do the same.  As for the right side, I'll just cut the frame out of the airbox.  That will be easiest since the mounting hardware all faces different directions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:18:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the airbox, trying to keep side covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.