Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
air/fuel (Read 209 times)
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
air/fuel
07/10/12 at 09:24:02

When im adjusting my air fuel screw nothing happens to the enine at idle isnt it supposed to sputter while its just about all the way screwed in?? trying to tune it but seems imposible right now  Shocked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: air/fuel
Reply #1 - 07/10/12 at 09:36:57

Most of the carb settings before EPA mandates were about right when the screw was out about 1.5 turns.  When I was rebuilding or cleaning a carb this was always my starting point for adjusting the idle mixture.  When you turn the screw in the rpm's should drop, and it may even stall when the screw is turned in too far and the mixture becomes lean.  If you back the screw out the rpm's should increase for a bit - then if you continue to turn the screw out the rpm's should drop and the smoohness and tone of the engine should change as the engine will be running rich.  Once you have backed the screw out to 3 turnes the adjustment is gone as the tapered needle no longer is a restriction in the orifice - so if you back the screw out to 3 turns and it is not too rich.....then you either have a dirty Pilot Jet, need a larger Pilot Jet, or have an intake air leak.

If you can turn the mixture screw in all the way and it does not affect the way the engine runs....then you Pilot Jet is too big, the float level is too high, the air cleaner is too dirty, the idle is too high.....something is not right.

Do you have any idea what jet sizes your bike has....or if everything is stock?  What year?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #2 - 07/11/12 at 08:58:57

pilot - 47.5   main - 155, 1988 (stock jets) in this year i believe. and gave a big clean to the carb and took the jets to a shop and they said the jets look fine. So im not to sure whats up with that.
Something that they noticed is that the main had a larger hole then the 155's that hey had.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 07/11/12 at 09:06:28

be sure engine is warmed up before any adjustments

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #4 - 07/11/12 at 09:22:30

thanks i will do that for sure i usually do but maybe i'll leave it running for a while longer. When i was adjusting it i had it out for about an hour then tried screwing it but seemed like nothing happened, will that screw come all the way out? And my slide needle had three adjustment slots on it so i moved the while spacer down a notch(bottom slot). maybe i should shave the spacer down half way still? a little off of the subject but i wanted to figure that out also.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 15:09:46

or would this allow to much fuel in the system?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 15:18:27

The screw comes all the wat out,.. careful, there's a spring behind it...
I wouldn't shave the spacer... it will richen even more, but it won't affect the idle mix screw... I doubt you need that...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/12/12 at 10:55:56

I put a little screwdriver in my shirt pocket, the little Craftsman with the pocket clip, went for a ride & made tiny little adjustments at stop lites. Got a nice ride & got the thing set right, no worries about it getting hot sitting, & I got to feel real world results instead of sitting in a garage hoping for good results.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #8 - 07/12/12 at 12:57:55

I was going to start a new thread for this question but then I saw this one and thought I would ask here since we are talking about it anyway. I was adjusting the mixture screw and my bike seems to run best at about 1/2 to 1/4 turns out. I know that if you are more than 2.5 turns out that you need to go up in pilot size, what about 1/4 turn out, should I go down a size in the pilot????

I am currently running a cone filter, dyna muffler, 152.5 main, 55 pilot with bleed holes.

« Last Edit: 07/12/12 at 14:48:12 by splash07 »  

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #9 - 07/12/12 at 14:34:13

what kind of differences did you see and how much did you turn the screw each time???

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 07/12/12 at 14:40:49

Started at no turns out, turned 1/4 turn then wait 5 seconds, listen, RPMs were high from 1/4 to 1/2 turn then dropped gradually all the way to 2 turns out.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #11 - 07/12/12 at 14:52:24

i have turned my screw all the way in and no change in idle or anything haha just dont understand

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #12 - 07/12/12 at 14:58:34

Im really wondering if i have a spring behind my mixtrure screw, if not what would that mean?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/12/12 at 20:07:08

It would mean vibration can cause it to turn.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #14 - 07/12/12 at 20:28:07

man i gotta check that... my screw moves really easily and for some reason it was siliconed  maybe the reason?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › air/fuel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.