Send Topic Print
98  project bike. (Read 484 times)
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

98  project bike.
07/10/12 at 06:41:59

Well...this is what I got to start with:

I got it fairly cheap. She runs, but needs some work. The previous owner did what he could, had some recent carb work done, etc.

So far, I've done a new front tire, new front brake pads and got a bar and grips waiting to put on. (this weekend?)...
I also got fork seals on order, plan on tackling that ASAP as the front end is a little squishy...
My plan: Get it roadworthy first, then paint it, foot pegs (left side is bent), new lights, mirrors etc.
Some of the stuff I got lying around from past bike projects.
Stay tuned....I'll post pics along the ways..
I WAS going to bob it....BUT.....started really liking the shape of the stock version...
now, the plan is to just fix her up, polish what can be polished, paint it, add a few custom mods. etc...just turn it into a nice 'lil cruiser.

« Last Edit: 08/01/12 at 07:23:59 by mojohand40 »  
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: 98 bobber project bike.
Reply #1 - 07/10/12 at 06:52:22

Is it the light or is that orange paint faded, actually looks bada$$. You going to paint it, I wouldn't, maybe debadge it but all bobbed out with that retro looking paint will give it a cool look.

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/10/12 at 07:44:20

splash07 wrote on 07/10/12 at 06:52:22:
Is it the light or is that orange paint faded, actually looks bada$$. You going to paint it, I wouldn't, maybe debadge it but all bobbed out with that retro looking paint will give it a cool look.

Ha! Yeah, the paint is very, very faded..looks better in the picture then in real life. The front fender looks more pink then orange.

I plan on painting it. Either gold or copper or a dark metalic brown. (rattle can.)  
I figured I'd start with the side panels to see if I like it.

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/14/12 at 18:31:29

Changed bars and grips today.
before:

after:

much better! Used "Wide and Low Chrome XLX Style Drag Bars" from J and P cycles p/n 502-203 (cheap: 28.99!)
Kind of a pain, drilling holes for switch housings, and struggling with these grips, which were very, very snug...as in they ain't coming off with out a dremel tool cutting them off..
BUT...worth it. Bike looks better, fells better...

NEXT: Fork Oil and Seals. then, hopefully, a Verslavy Cam Chain Adjuster!

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/15/12 at 17:11:54

Did the fork seals today.
I replaced the seal, the clip, the dust seal and the damper bolts and washers.
Front suspension much better now.

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 98  project bike.
Reply #5 - 08/05/12 at 13:21:34

did the old verslavy mod yesterday. The plunger was at 17mm.
Everything else under the clutch cover looked good.
Next up: Raptor mod...I gots no reserve now! Left me stranded once before I realized the petcock was toast...arhhg!
Got a raptor petcock from bike bandit ready to put on..maybe next week.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/05/12 at 22:28:13

Mine faded out just like that, but within 2 months of brand new purchase. 1998 orange was a really poor quality paint. You can get the same shade (more durable) from Rustoleum, Krylon or Tractor Supply (Valspar).

Don't use Duplicolor Metalspecks Burnt Copper... looks like crap unless you topcoat with a perfect clear...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/30/12 at 11:51:19

update: Fixed my oil leak (redid the clutch cover gasket). Then I did the raptor petcock mod, much better.  Now, I'm painting:

Got the side covers 95% done. Just did another spray of clear coat.
Got the front fender ready for clearcoat, as well as the new back fender.

The color is Dupli-Color "Orange Mist Metalic". I wet-sanded everything, then I primered with Dupli-color Filler Primer, and am using Dupli-color clear engine enamel as a clear coat.
The results so farlook great! Can't wait to wax everything up. Need to pull the tank next and begin wet-sanding it.
A word to the wise: If you want to rattle can using dupli-color, make sure you get enough! It takes about 7 or 8 eight ounce cans! Most Pep Boys carry about 4 of a color, so order more at the counter. (Also takes two cans of primer and two cans of clear coat).  
Next up: yep, I went ahead and ordered the Blue Collar Bobber kit..(could no longer resist)...already got the new rear fender painted.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/01/12 at 11:02:53

Watch out for getting fuel on that clear coat. It doesnt hold up at all.  It like instant permanent mark.

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/01/12 at 12:13:45

Spamy wrote on 10/01/12 at 11:02:53:
Watch out for getting fuel on that clear coat. It doesnt hold up at all.  It like instant permanent mark.

Hmmm....thanks for the heads-up. I was just reading another post that recommended PlastiKote 229 Clear Engine Enamel as being more gas resistant, so I went over to Amazon and ordered a few cans.  I haven't got to the tank yet, I pulled it off the bike and washed it a little (underside was awful), probably start wet-sanding tonight.

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/20/12 at 17:09:26

UPDATE
got back to work on her today:
started clear-coating the tank. The PlastiKote 229 Clear Engine Enamel is the stuff! My fender and side cover were cured enough ( a week or so) to apply wax and buff up..They look great. Hope to be done with the tank by next week. apply some clear and let it cure for awhile.

loving the color.
in the mean time, continued tearing down and cleaning. Man! Gettin' that rear fender off was a pain. Those four bolts seemed epoxied in. Also getting regulator off req'd a small sledge hammer and an impact driver..really!

Oh, well, the hardest parts are behind me, and I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project.

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/27/13 at 17:46:58

FINALLY...done..got to ride her today! Realized at the end that my rear tire was too big for the fender, so had to replace with a stock one! Then....decided to ditch the wet cell and get a new battery.. added, some gas.....started right up and rides great!

still want to change the exhaust and get some different mirrors...maybe black round ones...

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 07/27/13 at 19:43:14

Love the seat

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/27/13 at 19:43:18

YOu slap a Dyna muffler on it & YOuve nailed it,, Nice Job

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 - 07/28/13 at 08:35:38

Looking good Mojo!  

I really like copper/orange on our bikes!  The stock black/orange copper paint scheme is sweet, but all copper really suits it in my opinion   Smiley

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:46:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 98  project bike.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.