Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions About Putting in the Verslavy (Read 170 times)
nooner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Questions About Putting in the Verslavy
07/09/12 at 11:17:41

I have read Verslagen1's post about checking the tensioner but being a novice wrencher I need just a little more clarification.

To disengage the clutch, is bending the tab to release the cable all that needs to be done?  If I break the tab is there a specific size cotter pin I need?

Do you have any suggestions about removing the gasket residue from the clutch cover and exhaust header - any special tool or cleaner?

My verslavy, like the one in Verslagen1's picture, has a yellow plastic piece on the bottom.  I'm guessing that it is holding the pieces together.  At what point during the installation does the plastic come out?  Are there any particular steps to secure the verslavy?

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Questions About Putting in the Verslavy
Reply #1 - 07/09/12 at 11:29:32

That "gate" should open & close a few times before it snaps, if it does, a piece of wire or a small cotter pin will handle it.

A crescent wrench to rotate the clutch lever by the engine, & you should be ready to pull the side off,,
well,, youll need to get the header off, pull the whole thing, muffler & all,
Look at how the muffler mounts, pay attention to the steel tube inserts in the bushings, Bust it loose back there, then take the header bolts out,, wouldn't hurt to go ahead & bust them loose before the back, just leave them to keep things steady.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/09/12 at 11:47:06

nooner wrote on 07/09/12 at 11:17:41:
Do you have any suggestions about removing the gasket residue from the clutch cover and exhaust header - any special tool or cleaner?

Because you're a novice, it's difficult to suggest a method to you.  Usually, I just use a woodchisel.  But for you, I might suggest a plastic scraper, like for ice.  Take care not to dig into the surface and you'll be fine.  A nylon rotary brush on a dremel works well too.

Quote:
My verslavy, like the one in Verslagen1's picture, has a yellow plastic piece on the bottom.  I'm guessing that it is holding the pieces together.  At what point during the installation does the plastic come out?  Are there any particular steps to secure the verslavy?

Put it on the post, put the shoulder bolt on, put the retaining ring on, pull the tab.  Not much to it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/09/12 at 11:54:24

If aluminum is being moved, the gasket removal isnt going well,,If you have good hand /eye stuff & can run a blade, then a wood chisel could be your friend, Or, a Big Mistake, YOu cant just take it & run it down the aluminum case & scrap0e the gasket off, you remove the gasket surgically.
Put the beveled edge down & use the back of the bevel to set the height of the edge, I slice across the face of the gasket & move slowly down the surface, I almost never go straight down the length of the part when its aluminum,  

Glue your new gasket to the cover & use grease on the other side & you wont have to peel a gasket next time you go in,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 07/09/12 at 12:02:37

For gasket removal I've always used 3m Roloc Surface Conditioning discs.  Medium for steel/cast iron surfaces and Fine for aluminum surfaces.  Never had a problem with them and never seemed to remove any of the metal.  Here is a link to what I'm talking about for the Roloc discs

http://www.abrasivesaver.com/catalog/3M_Roloc_Surface_Conditioning_Discs-89-1...

I buy them locally in bulk.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
nooner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/09/12 at 13:14:53

Thanks for the tips guys.  I appreciate your help!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/09/12 at 13:19:31

That thing the clutch cable goes in? Make sure its UP when the side goes on,

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #7 - 07/31/12 at 21:21:02

rfw2003 wrote on 07/09/12 at 12:02:37:
For gasket removal I've always used 3m Roloc Surface Conditioning discs.  Medium for steel/cast iron surfaces and Fine for aluminum surfaces.  Never had a problem with them and never seemed to remove any of the metal.  Here is a link to what I'm talking about for the Roloc discs

http://www.abrasivesaver.com/catalog/3M_Roloc_Surface_Conditioning_Discs-89-1...

R.F.

For you guys using the rotary tools....how do you keep from throwing debris into the engine?  Other than that little unknown, I kinda like the idea.

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 08/01/12 at 10:24:34

Digger wrote on 07/31/12 at 21:21:02:
rfw2003 wrote on 07/09/12 at 12:02:37:

R.F.

For you guys using the rotary tools....how do you keep from throwing debris into the engine?  Other than that little unknown, I kinda like the idea.

TIA!

Paper towels

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #9 - 08/01/12 at 17:04:43

I use the green plastic discs for removing gaskets on aluminum. 2 reasons. 1 they won't in any way remove any aluminum. And 2. if your doing engine work and the small abrasives from 3m discs get into the oil, they will destroy the rod and main bearings. Even if you change the oil, you will prolly still have small amounts and it doesn't take much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:31:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Questions About Putting in the Verslavy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.