Send Topic Print
New Jack City (Read 167 times)
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
New Jack City
07/09/12 at 10:02:10

I'm trying to take my rear tire off but I don't have a motorcycle jack. What I do have is one hydraulic floor jack, one manual scissor jack, and two jack stands. Any suggestions?

What points on the bike would be good to lift from i.e. frame, engine, etc.?

I was thinking I could use the scissor jack to get the bike high enough to get a jack stand on both sides of the swing arm. Would this be ill advised? I plan on securing the front end with straps secured to lag bolts sticking out of the concrete on my back patio.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New Jack City
Reply #1 - 07/09/12 at 10:20:47

I just put a block of wood on a floor jack and lift it under the motor on the frame rails where is fairly flat.

The bikes also pretty light, I sometimes use a block of wood I have and kick it under the bike while I lift the back of it. It sits with a bit of a lean to the left but its stable enough for what I need to do.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 07/09/12 at 10:22:57

I purchased a Harbor Freight bike stand and used one of the $20 Walmart floor jacks with a piece of wood that hit each frame rail. I was going to use stands, but it was solid. The garage did the same thing to my bike to remove the rear wheel, only they didn't use a HB stand. I think the stand is a good investment. I chose the cheap one because I only plan on using it a couple of times a year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/motorcycle-st...

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/09/12 at 10:24:40

I had never heard this until visiting this forum: tie down straps over the joists in the garage. Been working great for me.

--Steve

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 07/09/12 at 10:27:20

Paraquat wrote on 07/09/12 at 10:24:40:
I had never heard this until visiting this forum: tie down straps over the joists in the garage. Been working great for me.

--Steve

But I have no garage...  Sad

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/09/12 at 10:30:28

You could put the jack stands under the front pegs to level the bike.
then the floor jack just in front of the rear tire on the swing arm to lift.

but usually just lift on the muffler bracket with the floor jack.

Just break everything loose before you lift.

WWW   IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #6 - 07/09/12 at 12:16:09

Man, I knew I could count on this forum to come through.
Right on brothers!! I'll post pics once I finish my bobber build. Cool

IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #7 - 07/09/12 at 12:25:14

[quote author=414443484F45260 link=1341853330/0#2 date=1341854577]I purchased a Harbor Freight bike stand and used one of the $20 Walmart floor jacks with a piece of wood that hit each frame rail. I was going to use stands, but it was solid. The garage did the same thing to my bike to remove the rear wheel, only they didn't use a HB stand. I think the stand is a good investment. I chose the cheap one because I only plan on using it a couple of times a year.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/motorcycle-st...

Do you think this thing could mount to the floor of my trailer permanently? Is there any solid metal I could drill into besides the square tubing?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 07/09/12 at 12:48:24

Yes, it would be very easy to mount. There are holes drilled that you can use for bolts or easily add an L bracket or 2.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/09/12 at 13:21:30

Get block, get friend, lean bike over, have friend shove block under other side, stand bike up, rear tire now not on ground, Tie handlebars to something to keep it up & on the block.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/09/12 at 13:26:06

verslagen1 wrote on 07/09/12 at 10:30:28:
You could put the jack stands under the front pegs to level the bike. then the floor jack just in front of the rear tire on the swing arm to lift. but usually just lift on the muffler bracket with the floor jack.

Just break everything loose before you lift.

Those front pegs aren't that strong. They are made of rubber covered laminated steel, easy to damage; got replaced.

One guy used what I think was a 2x10 piece of lumber, drilled a hole on one end and installed a pipe handle. Puts it under the jack point behind the engine, rotates it from vertical to horizonal. It lifted the back wheel up sufficiently for access. YMMV.

P.S. Here's link to what I was talking about:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 07/09/12 at 13:31:08

Tree limb, rope, remove seat, come along,, Break axle loose first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
elitemunkeycrew

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sierra Vista, Az
Reply #12 - 07/10/12 at 13:46:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/09/12 at 13:31:08:
Tree limb, rope, remove seat, come along,, Break axle loose first.

Out here in the AZ desert the biggest tree I have is a flimsy mesquite tree. I think I'll head down to the local gym and find the biggest dude bench pressing and ask him to lift my bike onto a cinder block.  Grin

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #13 - 07/10/12 at 15:12:34

+1 for Greg's suggestion of the economical Harbor Freight U.S. General MC Stand / Wheel Chock.  This is the perfect solution for restraining the bike to securely lift one wheel at a time.  It also folds neatly and can be bolted in a truck / trailer bed for bike transport.  All else you need to lift is a small scissor or hydraulic jack scooched under the appropriate frame rails / hardpoints and two tie downs.  No expensive Motorcycle / ATV full lift required.  The other posted suggestions may work well for the light LS650 but I also have a hulking Harley to contend with.  Now that would require a world-class bench presser!

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #14 - 07/10/12 at 21:48:28

I've started using my car ramps with a block of wood to give it that little extra lift.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:14:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Jack City

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.