Send Topic Print
FI for Savage (Read 93 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

FI for Savage
07/08/12 at 16:23:13

Hi,

Been reading the thread "end of the line for Savage" and somebody referenced fuel injection. This looked like it might be a good topic to discuss.

Anyhoo, the DR650 has been converted to the Ecotrons system. There is a long thread on it at:

http://drriders.com/topic2824.html?sid=f5a9cd46e7c83ab5a4b460a725ffcf05

if anybody is interested. If you check the ecotrons website you will find lots of info. Kit for Ninja 250 is 600 dollars. Can buy lots of carb jets for that price. Money would be better spent on Lancer's cam, carb and piston. Even with FI, without better breathing and higher compression you still have the same old slug motor.  Now, if you want to be different, that's something else.

Apparently when you go to fuel injection you need lots of extra stuff, like a fuel pump, computer, ox sensor, TPS, etc. Kinda negates the whole air cooled single cylinder KISS philosophy. Me, I get paid to work on electronics and like not having to futz with test equipment, soldering irons, computers software (and radiators and water pumps, hoses, antifreeze, etc.) with the Savage. I like not even having to adjust the ignition timing, especially after just tuning up a dual point Honda 350.

Simple minded John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: FI for Savage
Reply #1 - 07/08/12 at 17:20:04

Yep, I was thinking about all that while I was reading the "end of Savage" thread.   FI is not a simple bolt-on carb replacement.  It has a lot a baggage on the side!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/08/12 at 17:24:50

The reasons I bought the Savage was that it was air cooled, had a carb, single cylinder, and belt drive.  I plan on keeping this bike a very long time, and wanted something that was not only simple to work on - but also had fewer parts that will go bad as the bike and I both age.  Radiators, water pumps and hoses go bad.....and I can't imagine trying to keep even a simple FI system working for the next 20 years!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/09/12 at 10:07:04

360k+ wrote on 07/08/12 at 17:20:04:
Yep, I was thinking about all that while I was reading the "end of Savage" thread.   FI is not a simple bolt-on carb replacement.  It has a lot a baggage on the side!

Yeah I know it's no where near a bolt on type deal.  Don't know if I'll ever do it,  just thought it might be an interesting project.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:20:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › FI for Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.