Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Air Powered Car....Really! (Read 313 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Air Powered Car....Really!
07/08/12 at 04:43:53

No im not talking about an air..plane car but one powered by compressed air. I first read about this and was shocked at the range something like 200 miles per charge at 60 MPH recharge in 3 min or 4 hrs with the on board compressor.  Sounds to good to be true right, well...the holding tanks 3 of them hold 3000 lbs of presure each. Thats one hell of a bomb if punctured!!! Shocked  The good thing they are making them from carbon fiber so if punctured they wont explode...?

They are testing in europe now, the engine is a modified piston engine and sounds alot like a normal car.  I could see me owning one of these and flying the bird as i pass gas stations!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztFDqcu8oJ4

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Air Powered Car....Really!
Reply #1 - 07/08/12 at 07:25:00

It is a cool idea and needs to be researched and developed, BUT, there are a few goofy statements,..

200 miles I doubt.  This is similar to electric car range claims.  Wildly optimistic.

60 mph top speed, eh?  This means in its current configuration it'll be unacceptable to 99% of the driving public.

This sounds like something bill thought up: Put an air compressor on board that pressurizes the tanks.  The compressor would be driven by an air motor that would use the compressed air in the tanks for power.  Perpetual motion.  Dream on.  For this to work, the motor and the compressor would have to be greater than 100% efficient.  

This would be like having a battery power an electric motor.  The motor would be hooked up to an alternator that would recharge the battery so the battery could keep supplying power to the motor.

As a kid, when I was into building flying models, I had a C02 powered motor which used the same principle as this propulsion system. Sorta like this one:

« Last Edit: 07/11/12 at 05:03:16 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/08/12 at 07:59:03

I had a CO2 BB pistol,, I liked shooting it, but I didnt like buying the CO2. Id expect a CO2 powered engine to be Just a bit Pricey to run,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 07/08/12 at 08:25:04

I think this belongs in the Cafe.   It has nothing to do with the Savage (see guidelines).

absolutely correct

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/08/12 at 11:05:36

I want one!....   a few solar panels at home, to run the compressor and you're runnin' pure green...

Now,.. consider the bike version,.. with the exhaust output being ice cold, clean, air?....
Oooooh!.... air conditioned motorcycle!...  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/08/12 at 11:26:01

state of the art...

WWW   IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 07/08/12 at 14:38:54

I actually heard about this several years ago. From what I can tell it all works pretty much as advertised. While the motor is a piston motor... it is not anything like a internal combustion engine.

The air is simply a store of energy, just like a battery would be.  There is energy used to charge the tanks, there really isnt that much of a "savings" in energy  used over other ideas. But, the choice of what produced the energy to pressurize the tanks means a country/area could have transportation based on something other than oil, which itself IS a pretty big deal.

The carbon fiber tanks is stronger, and as I understand it, does not fail catastrophically (explode). Instead, when punctured they just kinda "fart" the air out.

As I said I read up on this years ago, and it has kinda gone dead since. Such ideas cant flourish with gas prices going up and down. It really is hard to beat good old gas for a source of energy for transportation.

Also an Aussie has one that looks good as well. I might need to check up on how he is doing.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #7 - 07/08/12 at 14:43:30

I don't think the compressor is air powered  Grin

Doesn't sound that crazy to me at least in theory. You're just using your electrical "plug in" to store energy in the form of compressed air. Analogous to storing chemical energy in a battery using your AC to charge it.

What I have no clue about is efficiency I.e. how much power does it use to "charge "   the air tank vs. charging a chemical battery?

I guess you would want a network of high pressure "stations " for fast recharges

One potential benefit I think of immediately is it wouldn't require all the heavy metals for batteries...

Interesting idea!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 07/08/12 at 15:24:28

These things are not eco friendly- you have to get the energy from somewhere. If electric you get the electricity from coal powered generators, or nuclear generators, or to a small degree hydro electric generators. Hydrogen takes more energy to manufacture than it gives back. If air you need to use electricity to compress it. Ethanol requires a lot of corn (arable land) and energy to manufacture. So where is the gain?
If everyone had electric cars could you imagine the drain on the power grid??

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/08/12 at 15:47:45

The gain would be in having a solar charging station at home,.. with a tank there, that is charging all day....
Get home,... hook yer' car to the tank, and fill up...

Also,... over batteries... Batteries are expensive, and wear out, and lose power sitting...
also,.. fill-ups at a station would take minutes instead of hours with batteries...

Aussies have an air engine with only a couple moving parts...
Cheap repairs...

I'm ready, when they are...

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #10 - 07/08/12 at 17:13:23

arteacher wrote on 07/08/12 at 15:24:28:
These things are not eco friendly- you have to get the energy from somewhere. If electric you get the electricity from coal powered generators, or nuclear generators, or to a small degree hydro electric generators. Hydrogen takes more energy to manufacture than it gives back. If air you need to use electricity to compress it. Ethanol requires a lot of corn (arable land) and energy to manufacture. So where is the gain?
If everyone had electric cars could you imagine the drain on the power grid??

I had heard this argument before which is why I prefaced my post like I did. You are right.. this requires massive amounts of power from the electrical grid. But I disagree that they "cant be" eco-friendly.. such as you stated using a hydro-electric dam or solar. The current state of oil is getting pretty bad (as a user of power). It takes power to turn oil into gas.. and thats once you shipped it barrel by barrel half-way around the globe. Gasolines value is a store of energy while in the car. Its certainly not eco-friendly, nor very efficient.  But of course at some point we leave  the cool factor of the car.. and get into the politics of energy.. which is a thread for a different forum...

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/09/12 at 04:42:07

I agree with Bot, charging a carbon fiber tank would take less electrical energy than charging batterys. I have friends with golf carts they take hours to charge and discharge pretty quick batterys are 100 bucks each and last 3-5 years. Its well known all the bad things about batterys.....this car sounds like a great idea to me and i would buy one!!!  For 90% of my driving which is under 60 mph it would be no problem at all.

200 mile range is far better than our Savages and as bot says if you have a problem spending the change to run the charging compressor or 3 minutes to recharge the tanks use solar or wind.  

The other big advantage there is no polution going in the air...NONE. Think of the money we spend on gas and oil and upkeep for ICE powered machines. To darn much! I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.  I spend about 4000 in fuel cost per year plus another 200+ on oil and filters. This car would pay for itself in less than 3.5  years!  Smiley  And it produces no Exhaust!!!   Win Win!

Is there a link to the aussie engine?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/09/12 at 10:13:44

Drifter wrote on 07/09/12 at 04:42:07:
Is there a link to the aussie engine?

This is, knock your socks off, cool!...  Cool...

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/09/12 at 11:01:35

Very cool, i bet big oil buys him out and it disappears....or him?

Not much detail compared to the piston engine, i really hope this takes off....i will buy one. Getting screwed by big oil is really old!  

Think of the money and billions of barrels of oil that coud be saved an order of magnitude change in our lives!    Smiley

I guess future bikers will argue my tank is bigger than yours....o yea well mine blows 4000psi o yea well.......... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 07/09/12 at 23:06:32

Drifter wrote on 07/09/12 at 11:01:35:
... bigger than yours....o yea well mine blows 4000psi o yea well.......... Roll Eyes

Feeling a bit gassy 'bout now... Huh...

Fight terrorism... get yer' groceries n' ride to work,.. on air... Wink...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:17:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Air Powered Car....Really!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.