Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Air Powered Car....Really! (Read 313 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Air Powered Car....Really!
Reply #30 - 07/16/12 at 16:37:48

Charon, what do you think of inertial batteries?  A coil is used to spin up a flywheel suspended on magnetic bearings in a vacuum.  So it can stay spinning at 100s of thousands of RPMs, and that kind of rotational speed means it doesn't have to weigh that much to store a large amount of energy.  The same coil that gets the flywheel spinning during 'charging' is later used to draw off electricity, slowing the flywheel back down.  For vehicular use, two or more flywheels could be set up in tandem, counter rotating to cancel the gyroscopic effect.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #31 - 07/16/12 at 17:02:05

I read of the inertial energy storage system quite a few years ago, but I seem to remember it being called a flywheel storage system. Way back then there were problems with the required strength of the flywheel - something about wanting it to remain in one piece. It was to be a regenerative system in that whenever the vehicle slowed energy was to be transferred to the flywheel, much like today's hybrids.  Fact is, seems to me the last reference I saw to it involved its use in city buses, where there is room and weight carrying capacity, and normal operation involves a lot of start-stop use. Running the flywheel in a vacuum is pretty much mandatory, as are bearings with as little loss as possible. I can't recall hearing much about it lately, but I would expect someone is still working with it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 07/16/12 at 17:19:21

In Bowling Green Ky. back in the 1940's they had electric street cars the electric line was over head and rod like thing went to the electric line.The street cars were like bus's, rubber tires and no rails.They could go left and right about 10 feet from center to pull up to the curb.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 07/17/12 at 06:11:00

Charon, how about an electric heater driven from the exhaust of the engine, reverse turbo if you will. Or a solar panel on the roof to power a small fan or propane or.....lots of things would be invented.

A very large portion of the world does not need heat in a car besides an electric vest could keep you warm like bikers wear.

Golf carts vs car... all the dealers and people i know call them golf carts not cars maybe because they are used to haul stuff like a cart.....

BTW, mine is Kawasaki single powered.  I would take an air powered one today if avaible has would lots of people!   Smiley

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #34 - 07/17/12 at 07:43:54

I still think of them as golf carts, too. The official designation has been changed according to Wikipedia, I think as part of a UN-led initiative to standardize labels. We'll leave feelings and discussions about the UN to a different area of the forum.

Any street-legal car is required to have an effective windshield defrost system. That happened in the '60s as part of a Federal act, which also standardized shift patterns for automatic transmissions be requiring a Neutral position betweeen forward and reverse positions. Street-legal vehicles also must have headlights, tail lights, stop (brake) lights, turn signals, horn, and so on. As a practical matter this means there must be an electrical system, normally incorporating a storage battery. Air powered vehicles will not be exempt from these requirements, so they are going to need a battery and some way to charge it.

Cars and trucks with liquid-cooled internal combustion engines have a convenient source of hot water (since the engine wastes about a third ot the fuel's energy into the coolant). This is a no-cost source of heat for heaters and defrosters. The only "extras" are ductwork, an extra radiator (known as the heater core), and one or more electric blowers. Electric cars do not have the free heat. Many years ago someone marked a City Car (I think), and the problem of cabin heat was solved with a propane heater. The current electric cars use electric heaters, powered by the propulsion batteries, with the penalty of reduced range. Air conditioning requires a compressor, conveniently powered by the engine. If no engine, then a motor must be used, and range again is reduced. Most cars have power-assisted brakes, the power for which comes from engine vacuum. Diesels don't have engine vacuum, so the brake boost is derived elsewhere and that technology can likely be used for electric or air cars. An air car could use air brakes, but there may be licensing issues (air brake endorsement).

Speaking of brakes, right shortly (either the 2012 or 2013 model year, I think) a new Federal requirement takes effect requiring electronic stability systems on all cars and light trucks.  There is no way I know to implement such systems without computers, which means electrical power for actuators and controllers. Compressed air might be used for the main propulsion motors, but electricity will be needed for a lot of other stuff.

I'm sure others can come up with other issues and/or solutions.

« Last Edit: 07/17/12 at 17:41:07 by Charon »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:32:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Air Powered Car....Really!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.