Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Air Powered Car....Really! (Read 313 times)
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Air Powered Car....Really!
Reply #15 - 07/10/12 at 05:01:21

I think the future looks great! Where do i sign, i want one! Get a model T horn oouuuga and cruise.....

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 07/11/12 at 05:14:12

I like the idea of solar panels in my back yard, slowly keeping a large carbon fiber air tank (maybe buried) charged to 4000 psi.  I just hook up the hose to the air car (or air cycle) when I pull into the garage and get my next load of free energy.

No emissions.  No cost other than maintenance.  No money sent to the ragheads.  No strain on the power grid.

All we need is a motor that can put out enough power to haul around something with the size and convenience of, say, a Honda Civic.
Until something is put together that will actually sell successfully (appeal to the masses, not just the tree-huggers), this will just be a cute idea to show in documentaries.

The epitome of self-sufficiency.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 07/12/12 at 05:16:49

Very old idea. Air motors have been around for decades. Any steam engine could also be run on compressed air.

Overall efficiency of compressed air systems runs about 65%, give or take. When the air is initially compressed, it gets hot. While in storage in the tank, it cools. This is lost energy and cannot be recovered. It is interesting to note that the 65% efficiency is just about the same as that of electrical storage batteries.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #18 - 07/12/12 at 06:12:16

Great to see you around, Charon.  Hopefully you find the 'holding tank' for politics and religion satisfactory.  So far so good.

This guy knows his thermodynamics, folks.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 07/12/12 at 07:30:24

Charon wrote on 07/12/12 at 05:16:49:
It is interesting to note that the 65% efficiency is just about the same as that of electrical storage batteries.

True, but carbon fiber compressed air tanks would cost 10% of what high-tech batteries would cost, they would last ten times as long, and weigh 1/4 as much,... so the energy storage situation for a vehicle would be much more efficient. Also, using solar panels to restore energy for compressed air at home would be more efficient and cheaper than electricity for the same reasons.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 07/12/12 at 08:39:04

Gyrobob wrote on 07/12/12 at 07:30:24:
It is interesting to note that the 65% efficiency is just about the same as that of electrical storage batteries.

True, but carbon fiber compressed air tanks would cost 10% of what high-tech batteries would cost, they would last ten times as long, and weigh 1/4 as much,... so the energy storage situation for a vehicle would be much more efficient. Also, using solar panels to restore energy for compressed air at home would be more efficient and cheaper than electricity for the same reasons.

There may be some confusion between "efficiency" and "cost." Efficiency is defined as the percentage of the input energy you get back in useful output. Cost and efficiency are not always directly related.

Compressed air for vehicles presents the problem of recharging. Low-pressure air, say up to 150 psi, is easy to find. High-pressure air, such as the cited 4000 psi, isn't so easy. Using the old marine rule of one-third for the voyage out, one-third for the return, and one-third for the unexpected you can only travel one-third of your maximum range away from home unless you have a known recharge location. You can carry a compressor, but something has to power it. Way back when I briefly tried SCUBA diving, the club's little gas-powered compressor took about half an hour to charge a single SCUBA tank to 3000 psi.

Using solar cells to charge an air tank sounds attractive. Solar cells produce electricity, which in turn will have to drive a motor to drive a compressor to charge the air tank. It can be made to work, but it will probably be less efficient than simply charging a battery bank.

Don't get me wrong - I am not condemning the idea. Air-powered vehicles have been used for special purposes such as mining for decades. They are used because they make no heat or sparks which might ignite flammable gasses, and they produce no unbreathable exhaust. Their technology is well known and proven.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 07/12/12 at 09:02:35

a solar powered stirling engine would be a better solution for generating compressed air.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 07/12/12 at 09:06:54

Charon ses: There may be some confusion between "efficiency" and "cost." Efficiency is defined as the percentage of the input energy you get back in useful output. Cost and efficiency are not always directly related.

Compressed air for vehicles presents the problem of recharging. Low-pressure air, say up to 150 psi, is easy to find. High-pressure air, such as the cited 4000 psi, isn't so easy. Using the old marine rule of one-third for the voyage out, one-third for the return, and one-third for the unexpected you can only travel one-third of your maximum range away from home unless you have a known recharge location. You can carry a compressor, but something has to power it. Way back when I briefly tried SCUBA diving, the club's little gas-powered compressor took about half an hour to charge a single SCUBA tank to 3000 psi.

Using solar cells to charge an air tank sounds attractive. Solar cells produce electricity, which in turn will have to drive a motor to drive a compressor to charge the air tank. It can be made to work, but it will probably be less efficient than simply charging a battery bank.

Cost and efficiency are always related in one way or another.  Sometimes the correlation is positive.  Other times it costs a lot to build something with good efficiency.

Yes, creating an infrastructure with easily available 4000psi air is a challenge,.. much the same as finding places to recharge your plug-in hybrid in Macon.  

The solar cells in my back yard charging a buried air tank would be less expensive to buy and operate than a wall of batteries.  You could have a pretty small electric motor driving a pretty small compressor if the system was putting air in the tank every day during the day.  The air tank would last forever,.. trying to do the same thing with a wall of batteries would cost a lot more to install, and would require battery replacement every several years, most likely.

If I were going to have plug-in hybrid cars, instead of having a $15,000 wall of exotic batteries I had to buy, install, maintain, and periodically replace, I would have the system set up so I sold my solar panel electricity to the grid, and then drew on that account to recharge my plug-in hybrid from a wall socket,.... in effect forcing the utility company to store my energy for me.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #23 - 07/16/12 at 11:30:37

Actually  I think the "storing energy as air" has a value, esp if NOT for a transportation.  But for those not willing to move to compressed air as a store of energy there is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOy-DAerGY

VRB: Vanadium Redux battery. Scales to any size, and lasts much longer than other chemical battery designs. Talks are to use this technology for power companies to store power for the grid! Thats pertty dern big!

Back to air. Someone had the bright idea to store not compressed air... but vacuume! As I recall the idea was to use wind energy to pump air out of natually occuring cave-like structures. Then during low wind, the vacuume would turn turbines as the air was drawn back in.

To me though it goes to political end.. the efficiency of the grid versus the security of a more distributed power generation grid. ... another topic for another forum..

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #24 - 07/16/12 at 13:38:40

Very old idea. Air motors have been around for decades. Any steam engine could also be run on compressed air.

Overall efficiency of compressed air systems runs about 65%, give or take. When the air is initially compressed, it gets hot. While in storage in the tank, it cools. This is lost energy and cannot be recovered. It is interesting to note that the 65% efficiency is just about the same as that of electrical storage batteries.

That is going to depend a lot on the composition of your batteries.

Electric vehicles have been proven to be more efficient than internal combustion even when run off "dirty" (coal) power. An electric motor can be that much more efficient. However, if all we are concerned about is efficiency... electric bicycles have been found to be the most power efficient method of transportation available. That's right, walking uses more energy than riding an electric bicycle. Go figure.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #25 - 07/16/12 at 13:58:50

Well I'll tell ya whut, a couple of advantages a scuba tank might have over a conventional battery are 1) no loss of energy by just sitting there.  Airtight = Energytight   and 2) the adiabatic heating/cooling of air that causes the energy loss on filling the tank could make for a nifty air conditioner.. just expand the air partially through an AC coil on its way to the engine.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 07/16/12 at 14:02:23

While electric motors have an efficiency of 80%
You also have to figgure in the battery efficiency, the generator efficiency and the motor to turn that generator's efficiency.
In the case of land based charging... then the transmission efficiency.

A whole lot of 80% will knock it down pretty quick.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #27 - 07/16/12 at 14:47:43

I think the usually stated efficiency of delivering electrical power to your house is about 22%, from chemical energy in the fuel to electrical energy at your house. The overall efficiency of fossil fuel fired plants is about 30 - 33%, depending on the age and size of the  plant. That does not account for energy used in transporting the fuel from its source to the plant. It is estimated that a coal train on an "average" run burns the equivalent of 1 - 2% of its load. It isn't clear whether that includes the fuel used getting the empty train back to the mine. Nuclear plant efficiency is similar, but accounting for the amount of energy used to produce the fuel is much more difficult. A percentage of the generated electricity is wasted in line resistance, one reason why electric utilities like to build plants near the point of use. Funny enough, that 22% overall efficiency comes close to the efficiency gotten by burning gasoline in cars.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/16/12 at 15:11:15

Consider this just using the car as a run about like a golf cart that will go 200 miles and do 60mph. Lots of oldsters where i live never travel anywhere close to 200 miles or go 60 mph. This car would be ideal for most city or burb people. Fill the tanks once a week or month..

Electric golf carts are a pain in the arse after every ride plug it in or next time...no go and the range sucks and batteries are 100 bucks each and last 5 yrs if your lucky.  Air tanks stay charged.

I want one of these things!!!  Smiley

I have no idea why this hasent caught on before any ideas?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #29 - 07/16/12 at 16:29:42

Thing about electric golf cars (current terminology is "cars" and not "carts" - "carts" being unpowered vehicles usually drawn by animals) is that they are purpose-designed machines. They are designed to go a few miles at low speed, and to be plugged in back at their shelter when not in use. That make them great for golf courses and compact residential areas, but not too good for actual commuting. Add a set of lights, brake lights, turn signals, and the range drops even more simply due to limited energy storage. Heaters or air conditioners can be forgotten completely.

Electric cars as originally designed over a hundred years ago were also urban vehicles. They were designed for a speed of 20 mph or so, and a range seldom exceeding twenty or thirty miles - enough to visit people and run errands in a small town. The problem then, as now, was energy storage. That confounded the likes of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison, and decades of their successors. The problem never was the motors or the controls - it was and is the batteries.

Air powered cars have no doubt been experimented with. Air powered trams have been used in mines for a long time, where distances are short, speeds are low, there is a considerable risk of fire or explosion, and air is conveniently available. The problem is the same as electric vehicles. There is a limited amount of energy available in a given sized air tank. To get more energy for either more speed or more range, bigger and heavier air tanks are required. Yes, carbon fiber air tanks can be made and yes, pressures can be higher. Yes, air tanks can be less expensive than batteries. I have (a long time ago) gone through the math involved in using air starters for diesel engines, including the size of tank (receiver) required, the amount of air required for a start, and the time required for recharge for another start attempt. Most of that would be applicable for an air-motor powered vehicle. By the way, given an air-powered vehicle, what would you use for a heater/defroster in cold weather?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:21:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Air Powered Car....Really!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.