Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike hit in parking lot (Read 216 times)
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
Bike hit in parking lot
07/07/12 at 21:58:49

Hooray, I was parked in the In'N'Out parking lot in Burbank last Monday and when I came out, my month old LS40 was laying on it's side with the kickstand still down.

There were two eye witnesses including the woman parked next to me who was in her car when it happened; despite the fact that the car was still in the parking lot when the Police Officer arrived, he told me that there was nothing he could do and I should just go home and file a claim with my insurance.

Fortunately, just the plastic on the rear left turn signal was broken and a few light scratches but now I'm paranoid everywhere I go that it's going to happen again.

Any tips on how to help prevent this in the future?

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Bike hit in parking lot
Reply #1 - 07/07/12 at 22:06:15

That really sucks.  The cop was wrong on saying there was nothing he could do, especially since there were witnesses. That is a hit and run, plus leaving the scene of an accident.  He just didn't want to deal with it.

As far as how to minimize the probability of it happening again, if where you are at has bicycle parking park next to that, if not when you are forced to park in normal parking spaces, park where you bike is in a place within the spot for maximum visibility.  For instance park toward the beginning of the spot and not deep inside of it, and always park it at an angle,  something like this | \ | where the | is the lines of your spot and the \ is your bike.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/07/12 at 23:00:32

Parking in the middle of the space doesn't always help. I had my mom's TS250 and a Geo pulled in the same parking space behind me and blocked me in (cars on all sides). I had to sit and wait for someone to leave.

My advice is to stop eating at In 'n Out.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/07/12 at 23:07:23

Next time a cop tells you he cant help you, get his name, write down the car # & make a note of the time,,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 07/07/12 at 23:29:50

Paraquat wrote on 07/07/12 at 23:00:32:
Parking in the middle of the space doesn't always help. I had my mom's TS250 and a Geo pulled in the same parking space behind me and blocked me in (cars on all sides). I had to sit and wait for someone to leave.

--Steve

That's why I don't park deep down into parking spaces.  I park it towards the opening of the space, so some idiot in a small car doesn't block me in.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 07/08/12 at 03:50:20

rfw2003 wrote on 07/07/12 at 23:29:50:
Paraquat wrote on 07/07/12 at 23:00:32:

--Steve

That's why I don't park deep down into parking spaces.  I park it towards the opening of the space, so some idiot in a small car doesn't block me in.

R.F.

YEP

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/08/12 at 06:18:38

Steampowered Boy wrote on 07/07/12 at 21:58:49:
when the Police Officer arrived, he told me that there was nothing he could do and I should just go home and file a claim with my insurance. (SNIP) Any tips on how to help prevent this in the future?

You could file a complaint with the police department or speak with his supervisor. Police are not infallable (except in some countries).  Tongue

IP Logged
Haggis
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dundee, Scotland
Reply #7 - 07/08/12 at 06:54:04

I'd be devastated, I tend not to use busy car parks when using my bike but park, if I need to, on the street or in the quietest part of the car park, as far away from the shop as possible.  Most drivers fight for the spaces close to the shop for convenience, I don't mind the extra walk if it makes my bike safer and I usually find that I still have lots of empty space around me or return.  I do the same when parking my car in supermarket  car parks, but  on the odd occassion when I have parked the car too close I've been victim to the shopping trolley dent....now that really makes me angry Angry

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 07/08/12 at 07:27:58

High_Plains_Thumpr wrote on 07/08/12 at 06:18:38:
Steampowered Boy wrote on 07/07/12 at 21:58:49:
when the Police Officer arrived, he told me that there was nothing he could do and I should just go home and file a claim with my insurance. (SNIP) Any tips on how to help prevent this in the future?

You could file a complaint with the police department or speak with his supervisor. Police are not infallable (except in some countries).  Tongue

+1- he should have been charged with leaving the scene. Just a lazy cop. And if you have his licence # he can still be charged. It has happened to me, and it took them 4 days to find the guy, and he was fined $700, and to pay my deductible. We have no fault insurance here.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/08/12 at 08:01:27

Most drivers fight for the spaces close to the shop for convenience, I don't mind the extra walk if it makes my bike safer and I usually find that I still have lots of empty space around me or return.

What she said,,

& dont park so far up in a space. Theyre 1/2 way in before they even see the bike.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steampowered Boy
YaBB Newbies

Deny me and be
Doomed!!

Glendale, CA
Reply #10 - 07/08/12 at 08:36:03

The irony in the situation is he was trying to get into the space across from me and according the the witnesses he backed up to 'straighten up' and hit the bike backing up.  Then very quickly changed his mind, moved down 7-8 spaces and parked.

The car was there the entire time while the cop was talking to me, he was even a motorcycle cop and told me about his ride at home but since the cameras in the parking lot didn't record it since I parked "so far away" (to prevent this type of thing) he said he couldn't confront anyone.

The strange thing is: if he didn't know he hit my bike, why did he move 8 spaces away suddenly and the total length of time from when I noticed it to when the cop left was 2 and a half hours.  Who hangs out at an In 'N' Out for 3 hours on a Monday during lunch rush?  Someone who is waiting for the police officer in the parking lot to leave before they come outside to leave.

I pointed that out to the cop but it didn't seem to register.  So, $120 and an hour of work and "Argento" has a new turn signal now.

How other people treat you is their dharma; how you react is yours.
zombiematic digtldecay   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/08/12 at 08:43:23

$120.00? Yikes,,

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 07/08/12 at 10:12:31

Something strange here. You said you had witnesses. Did the cop talk to them? If they left, did you get their phone numbers, and refer the cop to them? Cops won't do anything on one person's say, except talk to the other party. If you have corroborating witnesses he is pretty much obligated to follow through, and if he doesn't his supervisor should know about it.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/08/12 at 10:26:56

did he at least make out a report?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 07/08/12 at 10:32:31

There for 3 hours?...  He might work there...
...and with that being such a dangerous parking lot,... it wouldn't surprise me, if someone keyed his car,.. or broke off a couple of valve stems,... or spilled some brake fluid on his paint,.. or broke off a side mirror,... or,...
Gosh,.. anything could happen in such a dangerous parking lot...

Someone might even write,"Dumb A-hole" on his back window with white shoe polish...  

...or,.. maybe it's just a satisfying exercise to imagine that something bad could happen...
Grin Grin Grin...

PS... Glad the damage ain't too bad  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:38:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bike hit in parking lot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.