Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
H2O in gas tank BikersChoice shocks Bolt on signal (Read 91 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

H2O in gas tank BikersChoice shocks Bolt on signal
07/07/12 at 13:57:57

3 questions for the savage sages, help with any one would be greatly appreciated:

I was wondering if water could get in from around a loose speedo and gas out that way.  Savage finally got tipped in the yard when I was pulling the back wheel.  I left it down for half an hour and when i picked it up i noticed some fuel residue on the tank and i was able to lift the plastic speedo housing about a cm.  Hoping this just came out the cap, but if there's a risk of gas contamination through the speedo hole I may use some black silicone if that's alright.
As far as longer term fixes go, here's an excuse to put a new tank on it.  Has anyone ever thought about putting one of those narrow tall humped gas tanks off a sportbike on here?  I feel like that would look sick.

Also I'm wanting to change out the suspension in the back.  I'm 6 foot and 170 lbs.  I really like the look of the 12.5 in suspension I've been seeing and I could use some seat raise.  I'm a little concerned about oil levels though.  Belt guard  adjustments don't concern me since I've pulled them off anyway. Everything I read on here is about progressive 412/418.  Has anyone used the Bikers Choice stuff? Supposedly made by progressive.  Would oil levels be semi-accurate in the glass with 11.5-12" shocks?  Do I just choose whichever model Bikers Choice specifies for the Sportster?

Also my turn signals in the back are broken from the fall.  I'd like a replacement that doesn't stick out so much but could be bolted on that same place with minimal troubles.
Or, i've also thought about bar end signals that go front and back like
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/handlebar-turn-signal-set-2pcs-chrome-1-inc...
so that I could remove the fronts and have both front and back off the handlebars.  Little concerned about bar weights and running cables through the bar though.  Anything like that that clamps on that ya'll've seen?

Thanks

Josh C

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
brucey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Re: H2O in gas tank BikersChoice shocks Bolt on si
Reply #1 - 07/07/12 at 14:07:48

there is no way anything can get in to or out of the tank from behind the speedometer unless there is a hole in the tank. if you completely remove the speedometer the tank is still sealed. the gas probably leaked out from around the gas cap and got under the speedo.

IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/07/12 at 14:10:55

Sweet.  Good to know.  May silicone it anyway until I figure out the tank situation.  Thanks!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/07/12 at 14:11:25

You are most likely leaking from the fill cap.  It's impossible to leak from the speedo area.

for the rear springs/shocks,  order for one of the metric cruiser bikes.  Those come with the bushings that will adapt to the metric studs that are on our bike.  The ones for the sporters have SAE bushings and will not work without modifications.  I have the progressive 11" on mine and I didn't notice any difference in the oil level when I changed them out.  Dunno with the taller shocks though.

Stock bars have welded in bar weights so you won't be able to use those signals nor run the cables through the bars.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/07/12 at 14:20:45

Getting info on this site is so efficient!
I guess I either need some low profile rears that will bolt on or some handlebar blinkers that will clamp on, though handlebar real estate is pretty slim on the stock drag bars.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/07/12 at 14:27:26

For the rear signals you could always use some universal bolt on minis and make a U-Bracket from some bar stock and bolt them on the license plate frame using the license plate bolts.  Or you can do away with the stock rear tail light and get one of the cats eye style lights that have the integrated turn signals in them for the really slim profile look.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/07/12 at 15:47:37

Ditto, speedo can't leak... It's not a seal.  You could remove it altogether and no possible leak... no need for silicone...

I have 12"+ shocks... oil level is not significant, but gas tank will have smaller on, larger reserve... and, I have added a hockey puck to my sidestand foot to account for taller rear...

Stock bars are weighted with welded in slugs... if you want bar-end signals, you'll need new bars...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 07/07/12 at 21:00:41

VS800/S50 spec shocks. Direct bolt on. Doesn't matter where from, I run OEM off my wife's 96 Intruder on my 98 Savage, she runs my stock shocks (4" lower visually).

Repli-racer fuel tank? If you look at their frames, most are a twin spur cradle frame. Savages have a square single backbone (think HD Dyna and FL).  Can you make it work? Don't know, depends on how good a welder you are. Whatever floats your boat.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:15:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › H2O in gas tank BikersChoice shocks Bolt on signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.