Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clymer's Wiring diagram in one image (Read 323 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Clymer's Wiring diagram in one image
07/06/12 at 09:43:34

I was having a heck of a time trying to follow wiring from image-to-image so I did some MS Paint cut-n-paste magic and put them together. I also blew it up a bit because it was fairly small. I didn't do the [img][/img] code because the image is fairly large now and goes WAAAAAAAY off the screen.

Image too big? A little trick for resizing images you're looking at and webpages in general is to hold down the Ctrl button and scroll your mouse wheel. Hit Ctrl-0(zero) to bring everything back to normal.

http://cavimike.com/wiring.JPG

« Last Edit: 07/06/12 at 13:46:25 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Verslav's Wiring diagram in one image
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 10:05:38

those are from clymer and you cut off the years applicable.

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 11:18:57

It's amazing how these companies get so many things wrong in their drawings.   I think they cut-n-paste existing schematics from other bikes, then make appropriate changes (or try to anyway).   This is a pitfall for human error.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but after just a cursory overview I see...

Neutral indicator connects to "oil level indicator"???

Turn signal switch is reversed (right controls left & vice versa).

The speedo panel lights and R & L running lights do not connect to power at all.

The fuse for the decomp is wired downstream of the main fuse, yet they are both 20 amp.  That means the decomp fuse is almost negligible because the first fuse carries everything the decomp fuse carries, plus the lights and accessories.  In other words, the decomp fuse will likely never blow, because the main fuse will first.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Re: Clymer's Wiring diagram in one image
Reply #3 - 07/07/12 at 09:31:49

Because of the Clymers manual wiring errors, I had to rely on Suzuki's OEM manual. Although mine is not in color, it is at least technically accurate.  Smiley

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/07/12 at 09:37:48

verslagen1 wrote on 07/06/12 at 10:05:38:
those are from clymer and you cut off the years applicable.

There hasn't been any significant wiring harness changes since 1986, no? (One I'd like to see is EFI.) Of course, I've added a few of my own:

- Replaced amber side reflectors with LED marker lights (for night time visibility)
- Electronic Drag Specialties "Harley" Tach
- Heated hand grips (near future)  Cheesy

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 07/11/12 at 12:18:57

I wasn't aware there were inaccuracies in this wiring, I only assumed it was correct since it was being passed around. I also don't recall seeing any dates on either of the diagrams. Though the "oil-level" indicator is pretty funny as there isn't an oil-level sensor on the diagram, the directional wiring being reversed is obviously just a slight mistake at the switch diagram. As far as no power being supplied to them - there is - it comes from the relay which sources its power from the ignition.

I've updated the image to reflect your corrections. If there are any others, let me know.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 12:30:13

I've also added notifications to this thread so I'll be aware when there are replies made.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 07/11/12 at 13:28:01

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/11/12 at 12:18:57:
I wasn't aware there were inaccuracies in this wiring, I only assumed it was correct since it was being passed around. I also don't recall seeing any dates on either of the diagrams. Though the "oil-level" indicator is pretty funny as there isn't an oil-level sensor on the diagram, the directional wiring being reversed is obviously just a slight mistake at the switch diagram. As far as no power being supplied to them - there is - it comes from the relay which sources its power from the ignition.

I've updated the image to reflect your corrections. If there are any others, let me know.

I wasn't referring to the direction signals not having power, but the running lights.  If you look at the common grey wire connecting the speedo lights and front running lights you will notice that it does not connect to power anywhere.

« Last Edit: 07/11/12 at 14:40:55 by verslagen1 »  

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 07/11/12 at 16:14:57

Ok, I see where it comes into the connector but there isn't anything on the other side. I'll look at my harness when I get home and update the image.

On another note, the wiring does appear to be different on my bike which is a '98. The green wire for the right indicator goes all the way to my lights whereas it only reaches a connector in this diagram. I'm assuming this is an earlier model diagram?

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 07/11/12 at 16:45:35

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/11/12 at 16:14:57:
Ok, I see where it comes into the connector but there isn't anything on the other side. I'll look at my harness when I get home and update the image.

On another note, the wiring does appear to be different on my bike which is a '98. The green wire for the right indicator goes all the way to my lights whereas it only reaches a connector in this diagram. I'm assuming this is an earlier model diagram?

OK, I went out and looked at mine (2009), but the wires are sheathed so I can't see the colors.   Anyway, it's a minor issue.   Thanks for doing the corrections.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/12/12 at 03:39:05

I got nothing. The red wire that comes into the plug in the diagram doesn't exist on my plug. I started to rip my harness apart since I'm only using a select few bits of it but my god the glue from this electrical tape...shoot me. I just need a 5-gallon bucket of goo-gone so I can dip the whole thing in there.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 07/12/12 at 11:00:59

On the schematic you can see where the rear running lights use the same grey wire color, they just don't connect together anywhere.  I did notice on my bike that in the "P" key position, only the tail and license plate lights are lit, which confirms the front and rear running lights are switch isolated.   This pretty much implies that the front lights almost certainly get their power from the iggy switch directly, but in the "On" position only.   I also looked at '95  '05'  and '07 model wiring and all have subtle differences.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 08/03/12 at 13:58:58

The front running lights tap power from the headlamp wire: black with red stripe. They're spliced together inside the rubber loom coming from the left-hand control switch.

Click the images for larger versions. I'll update the schematic later, I'm working on the bike now.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #13 - 08/03/12 at 21:55:15

This diagram is definitely from a different model because the center wire on the headlamp switch is black with red stripe on my bike whereas it's yellow with white dots on here. But, there's no mistaking it, it is that center wire on the headlamp switch that the running lights get their feed from. That wire runs right to the connector and inside the loom there are two grey wires spliced to it as you can see in the picture I posted above. I have updated the schematic but retained the colors.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 23:42:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clymer's Wiring diagram in one image

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.