Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dern..summer showers starting (Read 107 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Dern..summer showers starting
07/06/12 at 07:31:48

So here it is.. July 6... I had not driven my truck to work in over three weeks. In fact I still have 3/4 tank of gas from a month ago. But the run is ended with afternoon showers predicted everyday for the next 7 days. I miss the ride in already, plus if it does rain.. I still have to walk 1/4 mile out to where I have to park.. and do so in the rain!

(I have to admit though... we need the rain bad)

Current miles on bike 1628
Current miles on truck 42062

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Dern..summer showers starting
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 09:45:40

Right stuff to wear makes riding in the rain fine. If riiding means parking closer,, it mite be worth the hassle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 11:09:17

Frogg Toggs & some pull over rubber boots work great. The last two  long (400+ mile) trips I've made included at least 8 hours of riding in fairly heavy rain. Grin

Sometimes you get no choice so it pays to be prepared & experienced. Learn by riding in rain when you don't have to so you know what to expect. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 07/06/12 at 11:42:05

Well,

I have only been back at riding since I bought this in april (other than over 20 years ago). I think I will wait a bit before trying out riding in the rain or even on rain slick streets. I am VERY cautious about water and the bike. I hate to go though puddles left by AC condensers in the cars waiting at the red light. One of the roads I drive is extremely poor, as in I come of my seat 3 -4 times per trip. I know what to expect, so I am good with that, but adding rain slick roads to that kind of hazzard is not too good.  The other thing is (now) my concern for my orginal 10 year old tires. Which are old, dry rotting ( cracks in sidewalls) and could be slicker than anticipated when wet.  If I can get 300 miles on the bike per month and not on the truck... I am pretty happy. i did want to go cruise tomorrow though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/06/12 at 11:54:29

I run my tires in the track car tires run in near the center line, wet or dry,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/06/12 at 12:01:38

Pine wrote on 07/06/12 at 11:42:05:
The other thing is (now) my concern for my orginal 10 year old tires. Which are old, dry rotting ( cracks in sidewalls) and could be slicker than anticipated when wet.  If I can get 300 miles on the bike per month and not on the truck... I am pretty happy. i did want to go cruise tomorrow though.

Ouch! I'd get those tires replaced ASAP. You don't want to have a blow out at any speed, could ruin your day!  Smiley

Exclaim Note for the rear, a 130/90H15 (S rating will work also) if the tire dealer doesn't have the harder to find 140/80H15 OEM sized tire. (I have a Pirelli Route 66 130/90S15 rear on my bike.)  Smiley

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/06/12 at 12:17:51

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 07/06/12 at 11:09:17:
Sometimes you get no choice so it pays to be prepared & experienced. Learn by riding in rain when you don't have to so you know what to expect. Cool

Here in New Mexico we sometimes get 2" of rain! (2" between drops).  Smiley

I concur. Riding in the rain is a good learning experience and worthwhile doing. One needs good rain gear. (My Joe Rocket Meteor jacket and overpants work fine. YMMV)

Okinawa rained frequently (79 inches of rain a year). April 2007, it rained everyday continuously for 3 weeks. (I told the SWMBO that the difference between a rainy day and a dry day there is on a rainy day, it rains all day. On a dry day, it only rains half a day.)  Grin  Due to the warmer weather there (same lattitude as Miami, FL), I carried a rainsuit.

Routine riding in rain will help one to become very familiar with the Savage/S40's handling in those road conditions, building confidence and help one operate safely.  Smiley

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/06/12 at 12:45:07

High_Plains_Thumpr wrote on 07/06/12 at 12:01:38:
Pine wrote on 07/06/12 at 11:42:05:
The other thing is (now) my concern for my orginal 10 year old tires. Which are old, dry rotting ( cracks in sidewalls) and could be slicker than anticipated when wet.  If I can get 300 miles on the bike per month and not on the truck... I am pretty happy. i did want to go cruise tomorrow though.

Ouch! I'd get those tires replaced ASAP. You don't want to have a blow out at any speed, could ruin your day!  Smiley  

Exclaim Note for the rear, a 130/90H15 (S rating will work also) if the tire dealer doesn't have the harder to find 140/80H15 OEM sized tire. (I have a Pirelli Route 66 130/90S15 rear on my bike.)  Smiley

I run the 130/90 on mine, but it's mostly due to the dummy who built my trailer hitch making it fit a bit too snug......Need a head banging emoticon here.....dummy, dummy dummy...Rather than go to the trouble to fix it, 130/90.

What I really prefer in the rain is the 175/75x16 van tire on my 950. throws a huge rooster tail & has better traction than any bike tire I've ever ridden on. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 07/06/12 at 12:50:58

I haven't had the chance to ride the savage in the rain yet,  but I'm running the 140/90-15 rt66 rear.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/07/12 at 10:04:15

Try it on some of the other roads around your place before you commute on it.

And I've got a spare NEW 140/80 or 90-15 Dunlop you can have if you want to come get it. I'm 45 miles north of the state line off TN Hwy 14.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/07/12 at 16:41:32

I had a Kenda Challenger 130/90H15 on the rear of the Savage. Very cost effective but ultra hard rubber and size was more like a 140/90H15. It rubbed my saddlebag guard bolts flattening the tire's side ridge (had a 1/4" (6 mm) tire band flat spot), to the extent I had to remove the mounting bolt washers and change to a lower profile head style bolt.

I replaced the new Kenda Challenger 100/90H19 on the front only after a few weeks of riding. It again was oversized and rubbing the underside of the fender.

These were scary with almost no traction when wet. It doesn't pay to buy cheap tires. Smiley

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 07/07/12 at 16:54:22

WD wrote on 07/07/12 at 10:04:15:

And I've got a spare NEW 140/80 or 90-15 Dunlop you can have if you want to come get it. I'm 45 miles north of the state line off TN Hwy 14.

I plan on riding in the rain some to see what it's like for some practice.  Haven't gotten my rain gear yet though.  Once I finish getting all the lights installed and the new windshield as well, I'll be riding again.  It's just been a little to hot plus I caught some sort of bug that has kept me down lately, so the bike hasn't been ridden in a few weeks.  As far as for commuting for me, that's  not an issue.  I have the shortest commute of all,  I can either wake up and roll over and turn the laptop on, or walk 15 feet to the desktop and I'm at work Smiley  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 07/07/12 at 19:30:10

WD wrote on 07/07/12 at 10:04:15:

Now if your serious about the tire .. and you think I could hang the spare tire off the back of the bike .. I could make that my first big rode trip! .. I have to get the cruise-control  thing first.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 07/07/12 at 21:06:12

I bought 2 of them on special. And a local scooter bum has a tire changer I have access to.

Roughly an hour from South Haven MS to my place.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:39:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Dern..summer showers starting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.