Send Topic Print
Clymer confusion (Read 70 times)
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Clymer confusion
07/06/12 at 06:34:35

Hi, new to S40's. So far I'm finding my rescued '86 (a runner that I bought out of a self storage unit) to be really nice to work on. Got the motor out, frame stripped and I'm tending to some spotty rust here and there. My question is about the exploded view of the swing arm pivot on page 295 of the Clymer manual. It appears to show the dust seals with a washer on the outside of the swing arm. Mine had the seals on the frame (over the bearing) and the through-bolt head and nut rest in the recesses of the swing arm. No washers were in there. I looked at the "Clymer error" section in the tech stuff but didn't see it. Can someone staighten me out on what should be there and where it goes? I think I might be missing the washers.   Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Clymer confusion
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 09:59:28

Don't know if this helps, or is the same as what you already have?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 10:31:39

Thanks 360, a picture says a thousand words. The numbers are different in Clymers, but yours shows the same set up. so just to be clear I'll refer to the #'s on your chart.
The dust seal (#6) was located on the frame side of the swing arm on mine, there were no washers (#5) though it looked like there was room once I relieved the pivot nut. The needle  bearings are in the frame so IMO the dust seal should covering the frame opening. I was hoping the book is wrong but this pic has it just like Clymers.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/06/12 at 10:48:15

So, you think someone has been in there & had stuff left over when they were "done"?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:30:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clymer confusion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.