Send Topic Print
Turbo? (Read 370 times)
Ryanlilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Turbo?
07/06/12 at 00:04:52

I'm thinking of building a RYCA, but I want a bit more power. Anyone ever boost one of these engines? I'm new here and did a search but no luck?

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: Turbo?
Reply #1 - 07/06/12 at 01:13:57

Turbocharging with a carburetor is the main obstacle, not the engine. Turbos on modern bikes are common because they're EFI.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 01:46:23

I've seen turbo's done on motorcycles with the CV style carbs, but I don't know exactly how it was done, or what mods had to be done to the carb. Tuning would be an issue I would think, because turbo's constantly vary the boost depending on the engine load.  You need some sort of boost reference to change the overall mixture as the boost changes.  Superchargers don't have as much of a problem, because the boost is more of a constant, plus most superchargers are draw through instead of blow through.

For the money plus also for the way this bike is designed, you would be far better off, to do an overbore with a higher compression piston, and then some head work as well.  You will get plenty of power that way and not have to deal with the expense and issues of trying to adapt a turbo to a carb'd application. Not to mention the fuel consumption will be less then that of a forced inducted application, which is good with the tiny tank on the Savage.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/06/12 at 06:24:57

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1257906560
Post #8 for a picture

Just pressurize both sides of the carb.

--Steve

IP Logged
Ryanlilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/06/12 at 08:27:15

Tuning a carbed turbo isn't that difficult actually, I prefer it to efi. I built a carbed turbo snowmobile and fairly simple.

IMAG0234.jpg
  IP Logged
Ryanlilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/06/12 at 08:29:01

One more pic.

IMAG0268.jpg
  IP Logged
Ryanlilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/06/12 at 12:09:17

rfw2003 wrote on 07/06/12 at 01:46:23:
I've seen turbo's done on motorcycles with the CV style carbs, but I don't know exactly how it was done, or what mods had to be done to the carb. Tuning would be an issue I would think, because turbo's constantly vary the boost depending on the engine load.  You need some sort of boost reference to change the overall mixture as the boost changes.  Superchargers don't have as much of a problem, because the boost is more of a constant, plus most superchargers are draw through instead of blow through.

For the money plus also for the way this bike is designed, you would be far better off, to do an overbore with a higher compression piston, and then some head work as well.  You will get plenty of power that way and not have to deal with the expense and issues of trying to adapt a turbo to a carb'd application. Not to mention the fuel consumption will be less then that of a forced inducted application, which is good with the tiny tank on the Savage.

R.F.

Any idea how much HP a big bore can produce, is there someone that makes a kit?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 07/06/12 at 12:36:27

Ryanlilly wrote on 07/06/12 at 12:09:17:
Any idea how much HP a big bore can produce, is there someone that makes a kit?

TBH, I don't exactly know.  Lancer is the man to talk to about that.  He also sells some high compression overbore kits, as well as some other performance mods for our little savage.  Check out the Market and you will see his posting in the sticky area at the top.

I have seen references in one of the posts somewhere here that with Lancers kit, cam and a Mukuni VM carb you can see somewhere around 50hp to the ground. Can't remember the post I saw that in right now though.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/06/12 at 16:40:18

Ryanlilly wrote on 07/06/12 at 08:29:01:
One more pic.

As much as I despise cold & snow & all the pain that goes with it,, I think I could tolerate it for a while, IF I got to drive THAT!!!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 07/07/12 at 10:25:23

IDK how practical a turbo would be for one cylinder, but it could probably be done using some type of airbox.   The reason is, the carb doesn't really have a manifold or anywhere to store the volume of air needed for the boost pressure.   The carb and rubber ducts are just too small to store a reasonable volume of air, and I don't think the turbo would handle the pulsed nature of one cylinder very well without an airbox to act as a kind of capacitor.

Also, keep in mind that turbos are coupled via exhaust manifold pressure, which is also very pulsy on a one cylinder.   Whereas, superchargers are mechanically coupled to the crankshaft.

Frankly, I kinda wonder if a tuned ram air tube on the carb might not offer a good performance boost without nearly the problems?  The youngsters here won't know about the old Mopar cross ram air 413's and 426's back in the 60's, but the old timers probably remember.   I raced against these (drag) back then and lemme tell ya...   they were quite formidable!

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/07/12 at 12:35:04

360k+ wrote on 07/07/12 at 10:25:23:
I raced against these (drag) back then and lemme tell ya...   they were quite formidable!

WOW! I'll bet they were... that's pretty cool looking.

I know as far as the Savage goes, if it were me and my money, I'd skip trying to run any kind of Turbo and follow in Lancer's footsteps.

If you get through the Overbored High-compression piston, hot cam, and performance carb stages and still feel like you need more Ummph, (Especially after dropping all of the extra weight that comes off when you do the RYCA conversion..) then maybe what you'll really need is an altogether different motorcycle??  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 07/07/12 at 15:48:36

I was kinda thinking that same thing...   hopping up a Savage is kinda like drinking a lot of beer to get drunk; i.e., if your goal is to get drunk, vodka will get you there quicker!   A stock BMW 650 G puts out 48hp @ 6500 and the 650 F (twin) puts out 71hp.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Ryanlilly
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/08/12 at 11:36:39

Good point about the single cylinder, I didn't think about the pluse. That could be a big factor...

I had thought about another motorcycle all together. I just really like the look of the RYCA, it's different. I was just looking for something besides your run of the mill bike. Unfortunately I a HP junkie and was trying to find a way to crank up the little single cylinder as much as possible.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 07/08/12 at 11:54:07

There is also a few other things to consider on the Savages motor.  The oiling system is a low pressure low flow so it's not really suited to feed a turbo unless you figured out some way to plumb in an aux pump to feed it. 2. It's an air cooled engine, which puts extreme demands on the oil as it is already, add to that a turbo, and your cooking the oil very quickly, and also most likely going to overheat the engine do to the temps you are now getting your oil to by adding the turbo to it.

Just a few more thoughts for ya on this.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/08/12 at 12:00:31

If you check out LANCER's posts; here and in the tech section, and/or just message him, he can give you a pretty good idea of what you can get out of one of these bikes. From what I've seen here, he has squeezed more Uumph out of his Savage than almost anyone else around...

Still not sure it would be worth all of the work.
Even my stock 1974 CB450 was rated around 45hp as I recall... The Savage was just never designed as a Horsepower monster. They were really built and tuned for torque.

Maybe if you used a motor for a DR650? Or just start with a whole one and build your bike from there??

Here's the link to the rest of it...
http://caferacerspecial.blogspot.com/2011/02/suzuki-dr650-street-tracker.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 20:17:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turbo?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.