Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sputtering and dying issue!! please help!! (Read 228 times)
claytron1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

sputtering and dying issue!! please help!!
07/05/12 at 22:34:45

hey guys its clay, i ride a 86 savage, just been trying to work a few bugs out of it here, and im having an issue. my bike fires up great right away everytime no problem. for the first thirty seconds i have all my throttle, then after a minute or so of it running, i only have about half throttle, as soon as i give er a little, it starts sputtering back firing and dies, but if i let off the throttle it runs fine. i changed the spark plug, cleaned the carb, but a carb cleaner mix in the gas tank, i rode it for about a hundred kms trying to burn off all the old gas, and still no better. i talked to a mechanic this morning, and he says it could be the coil? will you guys help me a bit so i dont have to buy and wait on a part.. really apreciate everything on these posts, ride on!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: sputtering and dying issue!! please help!!
Reply #1 - 07/05/12 at 22:42:03

claytron1 wrote on 07/05/12 at 22:34:45:
hey guys its clay, i ride a 86 savage, just been trying to work a few bugs out of it here, and im having an issue. my bike fires up great right away everytime no problem. for the first thirty seconds i have all my throttle, then after a minute or so of it running, i only have about half throttle, as soon as i give er a little, it starts sputtering back firing and dies, but if i let off the throttle it runs fine. i changed the spark plug, cleaned the carb, but a carb cleaner mix in the gas tank, i rode it for about a hundred kms trying to burn off all the old gas, and still no better. i talked to a mechanic this morning, and he says it could be the coil? will you guys help me a bit so i dont have to buy and wait on a part.. really apreciate everything on these posts, ride on!!

Sounds like the vacuum is dropping off & its not lifting the slide,
How long do you have to wait before it starts back up after it pukes & dies?

Were you real careful to make sure the slide & where the slide runs in the carb were clean & dry, as in no fingerprints, no oil at all?

Was it doing this before you cleaned the carb?

How old was the old gas? What did it look like in the carb bowl?

Have you tried the choke? Have you had to use prime to get gas to fill the bowl back up?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 07/06/12 at 12:13:02

That means the idle jets works fine but the main jet is clogged.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/06/12 at 12:33:18

Or, since it works okay for a few seconds, thers crud floating into the jets in the bowl,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/06/12 at 15:22:21

Arnold wrote on 07/06/12 at 12:13:02:
That means the idle jets works fine but the main jet is clogged.

This was my first thought too.  I'd clean the carb and replace the main jet.  If you have a carb cleaning tool (or a torch tip cleaner), you may be able to just clean the jet.  One version of the tool is shown below.  I'm okay with doing that as a roadside fix if I don't have spare jets but would replace the jet as soon as possible.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/06/12 at 18:39:32

Test your Petcock,.. don't just turn it to Prime..

... also check that your gas tank vent is working... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
claytron1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/07/12 at 00:12:53

i didnt take the carb apart and clean it thoroghly yet, i took the air filter off and sprayed carb cleaner into the intake for about five minutes straight, and drained the carb bowl. im a little nervous about taking the carb apart because i havnt tooken a carb apart yet.. when i drained the bowl the gas smelt like old stale gas. when it dies after it backfires and stuff, i can start the bike instantly while im still rolling down the road. i took it for another rip today, and it seems like its getting worse.  tomorow i have the day off work so i am going to tackle taking the carb apart and cleaning it out real good. i have the book on it, so hopefully that helps alot.

the thing that is confusing me the most is the fact that i can fire it up right away after it dies? thats why i was thinking it could possibly be the coil. my gas tank vent is working fine. another thing is that i changed the spark plug, i rode it for a solid hour, pulled the new plug out, and it is covered in soot.. on the right hand side of the carb there is a flat head screw. i think it is the fuel/air mix screw? not sure, but i can tighten it right up, and it doesnt stall the bike, same if i loosen it off it doesnt seem to be making a difference at all.

it crappity smacking awsome that you guys reply so quick!! thanks!!

IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #7 - 07/07/12 at 00:35:29

This community IS awesome!

--

Yeah, that should be your idle mix screw.

So far adjusting it only affects how much backfire i have (more clockwise, less counter -- leaner clockwise, richer counter).

Funny thing for me was after i broke open the plug i had like 4 and half turns to fully seated, so to get away from backfiring i have to turn it like, 8 turns out counter clockwise.

This sound right to you folks?

--

I am having sorta the same thing going on, at highway speeds, occasionally, the bike will choke and cough and want to die.

I switch it to prime on the petcock for a few minutes then back to on and it gets back to working.

Let me know your results!

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” --Karl Marx
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 07/07/12 at 01:09:01

Ive seen cars die running 45 MPH, roll to a stop, & start right up. Catalytic was plugging up, soon as the engine dies, the crap falls & the passages open up.
Id take the bowl down, clean it, Mite as well run something thru the jets while youre in there.
Theres nothing there to indicate the problem is air mix, not that its set perfectly, thats just not why its dying,

IP Logged
claytron1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/08/12 at 17:45:54

so i ripped the carb apart, and there was a bit of gunk in there, then i rinsed the gas tank a few times too, i pput er back together, and it still does the same thing, so i took my spark plug out, and grounded it to the frame, and im only getting a little red spark then it cuts out and comes back.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #10 - 07/08/12 at 18:09:26

Hey Claytron1, sound like your jetting may be off. If you can turn the idle mixture screw all the way in with out any change and your plug is sooted up sounds way too rich. Is the carb stock or has someone possibly changed the main jet? Check out this link: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309246277
An excellent reference by another forum member with alot of carb info.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/08/12 at 19:43:03

Slap a new plug in it, its cheap,

Ya know,, all this startin & dyin stuff,, you may otta charge the battery up..

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 07/09/12 at 14:19:39

I'm getting that the carb was really dirty and has now been cleaned a few times, though I'm not clear as to how thoroughly.  I haven't heard that either jet was removed/cleaned/reinstalled or replaced.  I would seriously replace the main jet.  For a stock Mikuni BS40, you can get the jets online, from Lancer or even from most local HD dealers.  The carb has two circuits.  The pilot jet is used for idling while the main jet is used the rest of the time.  There's a slight overlap but if a main jet is clogged, it will act just as you've described.  It's not the only possible explanation but it's very easy and inexpensive to test.  And, though not a fix for this issue, I'd install an inline fuel filter to help keep the carb cleaner.

Serow's thought of the gas tank vent is another good idea and easy/cheap to test.  Just try starting and running it with the gas cap removed.  If that works but it doesn't work properly after replacing the gas cap, the vent is not working.  There are some mods to the tank breathing setup functionality with Savages built to be sold in California and, if that's your case, it might be good to know.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 07/10/12 at 07:55:24

Didja test the vacuum operated petcock (OEM) like you were told ?

A defective one can do really weird things, and can throw you trouble shooting curves like you wouldn't believe.

I can't believe I said that !! Undecided

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/10/12 at 08:55:05

Routy wrote on 07/10/12 at 07:55:24:
I can't believe I said that !! Undecided

+1   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:34:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › sputtering and dying issue!! please help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.