Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stretched cam chain - affects timing? (Read 184 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Stretched cam chain - affects timing?
Reply #15 - 07/07/12 at 11:54:45

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #16 - 07/07/12 at 13:14:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/07/12 at 11:46:40:
Well,, heres my thinking,, If a gear is a foot across & I move the perimeter an inch, the # of degrees the center turns will be one number.
If I have a gear only 6 inches across & I move the gear an inch, the # of degrees the center rotates will be quite different,. &
if I have a gear only one inch around the perimeter & I move IT an inch, it will be a full 360, so, diameter matters.,

When you say "1 foot across" I'm not sure if you mean 1 foot in diameter?   Because the rotation of an inch along the circumference is based on pi.  In any case, for this discussion, the .070 is constant, but would rotate each gear a variable amount (degrees) depending on its size.   I dunno and probably don't amount to much anyway, but interesting to think about tho.

One of the things that I have noticed is why the extreme (premature?) wear on the Savage chain in the first place?   To me, it constitutes a "problem" that should have been fixed years ago, given the bike's longevity.  I've had other bikes that used chain tensioners, and they didn't wear out nearly as easily.   Some had "automatic" tensioners and on others you losen a bolt and let an internal spring set the proper tension.  My Harley even had a monster tensioner on the primary drive between the crank and the tranny.  It provided drive for the whole bike, but lasted longer than the Savage cam chain???

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/07/12 at 13:28:09

When the jug gets hot, it gets taller, then, when it cools, the tensioner may catch a new tooth with the ratchet pawl, then the next Heat Up cycle pulls the chain tite again, If a guy would only fire it up & keep it at operating temps for 100 mile stretches ( yea,, I used stretches in a cam chain stretching thread) then the chain would last 40 or 50 thousand miles maybe,, I think the answer is to smooth out every other tooth on the tube that extends, If I was keeping mine, Id give it a shot,.
A dremel & some cut off disks & some careful work & I think I could do it,

& yea, for the sake of getting the idea across, I was talking about a foot diameter in the first example,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/09/12 at 12:08:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/07/12 at 13:28:09:
,, I think the answer is to smooth out every other tooth on the tube that extends  

I agree that making the system a little more forgiving and able to compensate for the heating/cooling cycle would be good.  I don't think just grinding off a every other tooth on the plunger will actually work. if I remember correctly the pawl has multiple teeth and it locks into several teeth on the slider.  It may be possible that a single tooth is not strong enough by itself to handle the loads imposed on the plunger when the engine is running and up to temperature.

I have two thoughts about this:
One would be to go back in time and actually replace the automatic tensioner with a manual one.  If you replaced the spring plunger with a threaded one and had to adjust it manually - how often to you think you would have to make an adjustment?
Second would be to install a second spring on the other side of the plunger that would cushion the excess tension caused when the engine is hot.  It would only compress as the engine wamed and tightened the chain - and it would not affect the operation of the pawl ratchet or tensioner spring (It would only relieve the excess tension when then engine gets hot).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/09/12 at 12:29:53

I wouldnt be afraid to smooth the pawl out some if that what it took, Ive seen what a tiny piece of metal can hold, if the chain is being pulled so hard that deflecting it from 90* is so difficult that one tooth on a ratchet wont hold it, it NEEds to let go, You have considered the power required to deflect a rope or chain sideways?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 18:32:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stretched cam chain - affects timing?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.