Richer after Raptor? (Read 87 times)
Bikerphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Richer after Raptor?
07/05/12 at 07:07:43

Hi Guys, this is my first post and I have a couple of questions...I just fitted the Raptor fuel thingy which was really easy, after riding about a bit, the exhaust note seems louder and my lovely phut sound has gone when I shut down! I assume that the bike is now running richer and using more gas. My question is, do you normally need to adjust the fuel mixture after fitting the Raptor? I miss that sound on shut down!
Second question...I live in Brazil, but unlike my native England, there are virtually no replacement exhausts available (the Savage is not popular here for some strange reason), is it worth the effort to build a simple exhaust, or better to modify the original by drilling holes in the rear baffle (like Ive seen on this forum) - People drive like madmen here, so I want to let them know I'm comming! Last question...I ride my 99 Savage everyday, it has 50,000KM on the clock and I do 50KM per day - In six months I lost a litre of oil from the engine, the bike does not smoke and there are no oil leaks anywhere - Is it normal to lose this amount in about 9,000KM?

Bikerphil Bikerphil   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Richer after Raptor?
Reply #1 - 07/05/12 at 07:33:06

If the OEM was faulty, it could have been running lean at hi rpm's, and would be running richer now.....at hi rpms only.
Or it could have been running rich at low rpms, which in this case it would be running leaner now.
I doubt very seriously that the symptoms you describe have anything to do w/ switching valves.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dutchmen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/05/12 at 07:37:35

The needle and float control how much fuel enters the combustion chamber so changing the valve has nothing to do with how it runs unless your old valve was bad and pulling fuel into the combustion chamber bypassing the carb..

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 07/05/12 at 07:57:24

Phil I can not address your Raptor issue but as to the oil loss,yes it is normal to lose oil in an air cooled engine during normal operation. This happens more often if you are running higher speeds...like 65-70 miles per hour and higher but does happen at all speeds.

I had to find a conversion chart for KM to Miles and it looks like you ride around 5500 miles in that six month period. One liter oil loss is very acceptable for that period. I would also hope you have changed your oil at least twice in that period(three times would even be better).

I change the oil in my bikes at least every 1500 miles and in very hot weather(above 95*F) or after extended hard running I change at 1000-1200 miles. Always remember that in an air-cooled engine the oil helps cooling and IS the LIFE of your engine.

Enjoy!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/05/12 at 08:13:38

You're at the equivalent of 31k miles, I hope you've checked your cam chain!

a bad petcock could've affected your carb adjustments if the diaphragm were leaking or the vac line was bad enough to let enough fresh air in to throw off your adjustments.

if you're doing a lot of city driving, I suspect that you're not doing a lot of high speed runs.  Oil loss can be explained by worn out rings.  Check your compression and if you can, look at the top of the piston... lots of carbon build up?  there's your oil.

you burning gas there or some abhorrent mixture?

WWW   IP Logged
Bikerphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #5 - 07/05/12 at 17:01:28

Thanks guys for your comments and for showing the drilled mod to the rear baffle Routy. Verslagen1 - In Brazil they mix a little alcohol in with the gasoline, the gas stations are allowed to add up to 30% alcohol. New cars here are all labeled "Flex" and run on alcohol and/or gas. Alcohol gives better performance but wears the engine out a lot quicker because of the corrosive element in alcohol. I think my old petc**k was nackered, because when I came to drain the tank, a good gas flow was comming out of the pipe before I even switched to prime. I guess I need to lean her out to get the gas mileage and my beloved "Phut" back when I switch off.  I am due for an oil and filter change, so I plan to check out the cam chain tensioner and I may as well look for those carbon deposits too. Would my cam chain have gone at only 50,000Km? I have noticed a sewing machine type ticking recently, but put that down to valve clearences.

Bikerphil Bikerphil   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Richer after Raptor?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.