Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
H.I.D. headlight conversion (Read 199 times)
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
H.I.D. headlight conversion
07/04/12 at 13:38:46

Has anyone put H.I.D. headlights on their bike? I have them in my truck, and love them. The light output is amazing.

I imagine hiding the ballast and wiring would be a pain... but I'd be interested to see pictures if anyone has done it. I tried doing a search and came up with nothing.

DDM tuning has single Hi/Lo H4 kits for $40

1997 Suzuki Savage LS400 - Seat Lift Mod, Lotsa Rust and Rattling parts...

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 - Lots of mods
2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: H.I.D. headlight conversion
Reply #1 - 07/04/12 at 15:27:27

I got the DDM tuning kit for my car for 45 shipped.
I'd rather go half-sies with someone and get that kit than get the hi/lo kit. The bulbs aren't really meant to be switched between high and low so it'd be better to keep your stock high beam light in there and have the HIDs on the low circuit.

--Steve

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/04/12 at 15:44:22

there are plenty, did you search for "hid" and set the time to "all"

here's mine...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1287371365

WWW   IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #3 - 07/04/12 at 18:42:35

I thought about just getting the two for a car because it's cheaper that way.. but thought maybe the ballast was smaller for a motorcycle specific one? If it's the same size, then I can just order the two, and have a back-up... although I've never really had any issues on the truck.

I wasn't aware that the headlight housing had two seperate bulbs... I was thinking it was a dual-filament type bulb that switches from low-high etc.  I get inspected so I have to have a low beam and high beam.

I was hoping to see some pictures... like a how-to instruction. I'm more of a visual, hands-on kind of learner... I can probably figure it out, but it's always nice to have a visual aid.

I notice our search function here is default at "one week", which is irritating, because I always forget to change it. Found a bunch, but really no clear pictures.. mostly people mentioning they had done it.

2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 07/04/12 at 18:52:53

when I do mine here in the near future.  I will take some pics.  I already have my kit sitting here.  I didn't go with one of the cheaper kits though.  I went with one of the more expensive ones that has a smaller ballast.  The bulb in the stock light bucket is indeed a dual filament bulb.  What he was talking about is there are some kits out there that have dual in one HID bulb that is HID on low beam and halogen on the high beam.  Our Savages use a single H4 type dual filament bulb, so since you need both Hi/Lo you will need one of the kits that either moves the bulb in and out to make the hi/lo effect or one of them that has the built in halogen bulb for the high.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 07/04/12 at 18:57:43

Putting an HID bulb in a regular headlight housing sucks... You have no control over the light output AND you blind everyone coming towards you. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Kits available at theretrofitsource.com... (Their bike kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=927)

My retrofit in my WRX wagon:

And the cutoff shot:

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #6 - 07/04/12 at 19:58:27

SimonTuffGuy wrote on 07/04/12 at 18:57:43:
Putting an HID bulb in a regular headlight housing sucks... You have no control over the light output AND you blind everyone coming towards you. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Kits available at theretrofitsource.com... (Their bike kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=927)

My retrofit in my WRX wagon:
http://www.pimptiva.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId...

And the cutoff shot:
http://www.pimptiva.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId...

I had a feeling someone would jump in on the negative about them. Everybody has an opinion.... And what you are talking about is a HID light in a projector housing.

I realize the light output can be all over the place.... that's why you do your best aim them down and away from oncoming traffic.

I don't have the time, interest or cash to invest in something like from the retrofitsource, nor do I plan on keeping the bike forever, because I will go back to the US in 2 1/2 years... so why put that much money into it? I just want a capable, functional ride for the time being.. and I'd like to be able to see at night.

Anyways... thanks for clearing that up for me. And DDM tuning kits are what I used in my truck and my honda accord.. and my brother used them in his truck. Other than my bro needing to order 1 replacement ballast in the last 2 years.. neither of us have had issues.

I will probably just end up getting the 35w hi/low kit then.. seems the easiest route. RFW2003, let me know how you do the ballast mounting and how you hide the wires. I just want it to look clean and not get snagged when I turn the front wheel.

2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #7 - 07/04/12 at 23:07:38

it's not my project. but one guy in Russia, we did it on Honda Magna.

I think that here, in principle, it is understandable without words

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 07/04/12 at 23:18:01

verslagen1 wrote on 07/04/12 at 15:44:22:
there are plenty, did you search for "hid" and set the time to "all"

here's mine...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1287371365

I don't see anything. It's missing the three most important things: pictures, pictures and pictures.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 07/04/12 at 23:21:49

That they are,  Tis why I plan on documenting my install. This way hopefully it will help some of ya'll, that are planning this mod.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
T-Dawg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yokosuka, Japan
Reply #10 - 07/05/12 at 04:05:40

wambr wrote on 07/04/12 at 23:07:38:

Yea, I've seen a custom job done like that on a Ford Ranger... Have to cut the housing because the projector is too long... pain the butt to line up straight.

That's why I don't wanna mess with that. Thanks tho. Plug and play is almost effortless. Hiding a ballast requires some JB weld, double sided tape and zip ties, haha.

2000 BMW 318ti - Stock
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #11 - 07/05/12 at 11:07:36

Sorry, but my translator has not made me understand everything and completely ... Sad
but the main idea I realized. block for xenon lamps can be installed underneath the fuel tank on the left. and the length of the wires is correct.

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #12 - 07/05/12 at 20:06:36

T-Dawg wrote on 07/04/12 at 19:58:27:
I had a feeling someone would jump in on the negative about them. Everybody has an opinion.... And what you are talking about is a HID light in a projector housing.

I realize the light output can be all over the place.... that's why you do your best aim them down and away from oncoming traffic.

My opinion is based on running a set of those cheap universal bulbs in one of my Festiva's years ago... They were far worse with providing usable light than the stock bulbs.

If you aim it properly, then hopefully you'll be good to go. Good luck.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:26:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › H.I.D. headlight conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.