Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Past weekend trip from Clovis to Chama NM (Read 97 times)
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Past weekend trip from Clovis to Chama NM
07/03/12 at 13:03:33

I really enjoy my 1987 Suzuki Savage. This past weekend, I traveled from Clovis, NM to Chama, NM and back, a trip of 325 miles one way. With rest stops, it took me 8-1/2 hours on Thursday, with about the same on the way back.

I left at 2pm and arrived 10:30pm in Chama. It was 102F in Clovis, 106F in Fort Sumner, and in the 40F in Chama when I arrived. Talk about differences in temperatures! I wore my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh gear, using the rain liner when it got cold. I used the little used Route 60 from Fort Sumner to Vaughn on the way up. Talk about a lonely stretch of road, encountered less than a half dozen vehicles. On the way back, I took I-40 from Clines Corners to Santa Rosa, 44 miles at 75 MPH, 5200 RPM.

It amazes on lookers that this bike is capable of touring. (Of course, I have the S-40 Pillow Gel Seat which helps with long ride comfort. - Yes, it will mount to the Savage with a slight modification. You have to drill a hole through the fender to add a 1/4" bolt, washer, nut (don't crush the sheet metal tunnel); mount the pillion chrome mount flange to this bolt with another washer and bolt.)

I stayed in the El Meson Lodge, a fantastic motel at $60 a night tax included, with small fridge and microwave. This was to attend the Christian Motorcyclists NM State convention.

They were a great bunch, 154 attendees; John Ogden from the CMA HQ, Hatfield, AR spoke.

Just to show that I'm not bluffing you, I have attached a picture from my travel up State Road 17 past Chama into the Cumbres mountain pass in Colorado. This area is breath taking, with much natural scenery, twisties, you name it.  Cheesy

So, I'm just curious, but how many of you out there recently used your Savage or S40 to tour away from home? If you haven't, you don't know what you are missing out on.

Sincerely,
George Hostler
Clovis, NM USA

2012-06-29_HPT_CO-17_Nr_Chama.JPG
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Past weekend trip from Clovis to Chama NM
Reply #1 - 07/03/12 at 13:09:12

Not nearly enough pics, George!   Wink

We have another member from Clovis, I believe, Yonuh Adisi.  He isn't around all the time, but he stops in every so often.  

Welcome aboard!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/03/12 at 13:37:33

babyhog wrote on 07/03/12 at 13:09:12:
Not nearly enough pics, George!   Wink

We have another member from Clovis, I believe, Yonuh Adisi.  He isn't around all the time, but he stops in every so often.  

Welcome aboard!

Thanks, babyhog!

I didn't take many pictures, as I was riding solo and wanted to keep the pace up. However, I have a picture that others may appreciate, taken nearby the same location. It is of the narrow gage steam engine and passenger cars, chugging its way up to the pass.  Smiley

2012-06-29_Chama_Train.JPG
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 07/05/12 at 09:11:07

That's a neat shot HPT!

I'd love to do some touring on the scooter but somehow life(dogs,chickens,wife,job,etc)always seem to prevent trips longer than a few hours!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/05/12 at 10:54:39

ZAR wrote on 07/05/12 at 09:11:07:
That's a neat shot HPT!

Smiley

ZAR wrote on 07/05/12 at 09:11:07:
I'd love to do some touring on the scooter but somehow life(dogs,chickens,wife,job,etc)always seem to prevent trips longer than a few hours!

Life is short. I'm sure if there is a worthwhile event a further drive away, you could have the other matters temporarily cared for and convince the SWMBO you're on to a worthy cause!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 07/05/12 at 13:13:06

Dang, now I am really bummed that I sold the FireLizard last year. Because I too live in Clovis New Mexico.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/05/12 at 16:46:18

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 07/05/12 at 13:13:06:
Dang, now I am really bummed that I sold the FireLizard last year. Because I too live in Clovis New Mexico.

It's good you are in the same neck of the woods.  Smiley Fact you sold is not a show stopper. So, what so-qui-li or si-qua (if drifted to the dark side) did you replace it with?  Smiley

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 07/06/12 at 12:21:59

Haven't been able to replace it yet. I had to sell it so I could get some over due bills paid.

Right now the only transportation I have is a Chevy dually with an extra long bed.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:23:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Past weekend trip from Clovis to Chama NM

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.