Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Batteries and TS beeper (Read 114 times)
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Batteries and TS beeper
07/03/12 at 05:42:54

My dealer says he can't put a maintenance free battery in the S40 (2006). He says there isn't one that will fit. Taking the battery out of that bike looks to be an irritating job. So, I don't top up the battery fluid level like I should. It is also a bit difficult to see the fluid level through that opaque battery view panel. I would much prefer to put in a maintenance free, so I don't have to worry about topping off the battery fluid.
Anybody know if the dealer is right ... or blowing smoke to sell batteries?
I am also still looking for some way to add an audible beep to the turn signals ... without having to open the headlight and do surgery on the wiring. There really...really... ought to be a flasher relay somewhere that will work on an S40. Anybody?

TNX
J2

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Batteries and TS beeper
Reply #1 - 07/03/12 at 05:51:21

Big Crank..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/03/12 at 06:13:42

After a couple of times.....removing the battery becomes a 3 minute job.

I put a gell battery in mine - no overflow tube and no fluids to add.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/03/12 at 06:26:13

Just tap off the flasher itself for the buzzer.  Just pick up a piezo buzzer from radio shack rated at 12v,  tie the positive side of the buzzer to the intermittent side of the flasher and the ground side of the buzzer to a frame bolt, or other suitable ground.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 07/03/12 at 07:40:30

rfw is right.   Just tap off the switched (flashed) side of the flasher unit to ground with a unit like this...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SBZ-23/12-VDC-PIEZO-ALERT/1.html

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #5 - 07/03/12 at 09:56:45

I got a maintenance free battery in the stock size.

Can't name the brand off the top of my head though...  Embarrassed

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/03/12 at 15:02:38

J2 wrote on 07/03/12 at 05:42:54:
My dealer says he can't put a maintenance free battery in the S40 (2006). He says there isn't one that will fit. Taking the battery out of that bike looks to be an irritating job. So, I don't top up the battery fluid level like I should. It is also a bit difficult to see the fluid level through that opaque battery view panel. I would much prefer to put in a maintenance free, so I don't have to worry about topping off the battery fluid.
Anybody know if the dealer is right ... or blowing smoke to sell batteries?
I am also still looking for some way to add an audible beep to the turn signals ... without having to open the headlight and do surgery on the wiring. There really...really... ought to be a flasher relay somewhere that will work on an S40. Anybody?

TNX
J2

No, your dealer is wrong. I am on my second SLA (sealed lead acid) battery, advanced glass mat (AGM) type. First was a Yuasa, second a generic brand. I don't have the makes and models off hand, but you should be able to cross list your OEM battery by Googling. I got both by Internet ordering and the mail.

You can change the flasher to a 3 pin type. I did this on my Honda CB100, installed a RadioShack piezo buzzer from the 3rd pin to ground. To not modify the stock 2 pin flasher connector, I'd use crimp spade lugs to it, and wire those to the new 3 pin flasher. Other end of the buzzer goes to ground. You'll have to sort the pinouts, but it is not difficult. This will keep from butchering your wiring, should you want to restore it to stock before selling. If the piezo buzzer is less than 12 volts, you'll need to add a voltage dropping resistor.

YMMV.  Smiley

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 07/03/12 at 15:09:08

If he uses 20awg wire you don't have to butcher the wiring at all. Just drill a small hole big enough in the terminal on the stock flasher big enough to pass the stripped wire through, then re install the stock spade terminal back onto the flasher with the buzzers wire already in the hole.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 07/03/12 at 16:14:39

& thats a clever solution,,  Smiley

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #9 - 07/06/12 at 06:44:08

Thanks to all. Sure appreciate the support.

J2

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/06/12 at 08:31:08

Just because your dealer doesn't have access to a maintenance-free battery doesn't mean there isn't one that fits. The dealer should be the last place you take your bike to.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX15L-Battery.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:27:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Batteries and TS beeper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.