Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I've been riding dirty for a while now... (Read 115 times)
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I've been riding dirty for a while now...
07/02/12 at 22:33:31

So, this past weekend I finally bit the bullet and took the MSF Basic rider course, and passed. It was easy-peasy, It re-inforced  and honed skills I already had and help develope new ones. We had great instructors who were  patient and encouraging to the newbies and cast a critical eye towards us vets. All in all, it was a great and hot weekend. I received my endorsement today. No more riding dirty! Let the pigeons loose!  Grin

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: I've been riding dirty for a while now...
Reply #1 - 07/03/12 at 08:37:04

I took the Basic and Advanced courses many years ago, even tho I had already been riding for 10 or 15 years.   I still learned many things, and also learned why things I already knew (from experience) happened like they do.  The courses were interesting and fun, and I recommend them to any who haven't taken them.   You're never too old or experienced to learn things that could improve your skills or save your life.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 07/03/12 at 10:21:19

I didn't take the course, but my wife did and she rides on the back, so seeing how she knows everything anyway, I..Oh Hi Honey, I was just telling the fellas abou...(Slap!) Yikes! (Kerblam!) .. I gotta go!  Shocked

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 07/03/12 at 10:49:49

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 07/03/12 at 10:21:19:
I didn't take the course, but my wife did and she rides on the back, so seeing how she knows everything anyway, I..Oh Hi Honey, I was just telling the fellas abou...(Slap!) Yikes! (Kerblam!) .. I gotta go!  Shocked

Haha, my wife "drives" from the right seat anyway.   I am merely the servo system that works the controls for her.     Grin

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/03/12 at 15:47:39

360k+ wrote on 07/03/12 at 08:37:04:
I took the Basic and Advanced courses many years ago, even tho I had already been riding for 10 or 15 years.   I still learned many things, and also learned why things I already knew (from experience) happened like they do.  The courses were interesting and fun, and I recommend them to any who haven't taken them.   You're never too old or experienced to learn things that could improve your skills or save your life.

True, I have to agree with you there. I've taken the basic safety course 4 times over the past 33 years from various orgs. There's always something new to learn, and they can also save you on your insurance rates.

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/03/12 at 23:08:51

I'm going to sign up for 'skills day' in Sept., to go head to head with other riders. I'll be using the s40, but with the new bars, FC's, I'm good to go. Nothing like riding your own bike set up for you... I'll do the savage nation proud...  (Gulp) I hope...Grin

IP Logged
High_Plains_Thumpr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/03/12 at 23:50:44

SuperSavage wrote on 07/03/12 at 23:08:51:
I'm going to sign up for 'skills day' in Sept., to go head to head with other riders. I'll be using the s40, but with the new bars, FC's, I'm good to go. Nothing like riding your own bike set up for you... I'll do the savage nation proud...  (Gulp) I hope...Grin

Back in 1980, the motorcycle licensing test in Hawaii was ridiculous. One had to do Figure-8's in like 16 feet diameter circles, alternating semicircles stopping without putting feet down at every half circle for like 4 down, 4 back, etc. After the first round a dozen riders were eliminated. After the second, I was the only one left. There were a half dozen events one had to pass.

I practiced that on my 1971 Honda CB100 scoot using vacant parking lots a half hour a day every day for several months, after I failed it on a learner's permit.

Case in point, it was not that I had an easy ride, it was the persistent practice. So when you say, "Nothing like riding your own bike set up for you...", I can't agree with you more there.

People don't understand that the best they can do, is use their scoot daily even if it is a 10 minute ride to work. Getting familiar with one's scoot through regular daily practice is more valuable than using the bike only on weekends.   Cheesy

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 07/05/12 at 07:21:44

Congrats SuperSavage!   I've been riding since the 1970's(with an extended break of several years) and here in Kentucky you could pass the written test and keep renewing the permit and never take a road/skills test. I rode that way for years until this past summer when I did the MSF Basic Course. It was a blast! Also,by passing the MSF Basic, Kentucky waives the state skills test so now after 40 years of riding I'm finally totally legal! And I really learned a lot and broke many bad habits!!!

By the way,Kentucky did pass a law this year that prevents the perpetual learners permit scam and requires you to either pass the skills test or get the waiver for the MSF Basic within one year of getting the permit. Guess I got in at a good time!

Next up is the MSF "Advanced" course!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 07/05/12 at 07:26:51

HPT I agree totally. The more saddle time in real-time riding situations the better we become....but with a caveat.....bad habits can be programed as well as good ones so the MSF courses are a must!

I ride 80+ miles round trip each day to work and my truck has sat all of them but one or two in the last two months! That makes for a lot of "practice"  Wink

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:34:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › I've been riding dirty for a while now...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.