Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Valve noise: how much is too much? (Read 123 times)
Kilgore Trout
YaBB Newbies

Columbus, Ohio
Valve noise: how much is too much?
07/02/12 at 20:22:32

Hi all! New rider and S40 owner here. I bought my 2007 S40 about a week ago with the plans of eventually using it as a donor bike for a ryca kit, but my choice was definitely influenced by the amount of knowledge and support I've seen on the forum here, so thanks to everyone for that. Since the big purchase, I have logged quite a few miles (a lot of them in parking lots -- I said I was new), and I'm so crazy about this bike that now I'm not sure if I want to mod it or not!

Anyway, to the point of the post: I was on my way to work today, when I started to notice a little tick from the engine. It's hard to notice if you aren't listening for it, but it's definitely there. After listening some more both while riding and walking around the bike, I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the top end, so I'm thinking it's the valves and not the cam chain (?).

I've been reading around, and several people suggest that a small amount of ticking from the valves is totally normal, but now I'm being paranoid and I'm wondering if they are making too much noise and are out of spec. Is it a Justice Stewart kind of thing ("You'll know it when you hear it") or can someone give me a more concrete idea about whether I'm still good to ride or not?

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." -Juan Ramòn Jiménez
  IP Logged
Kilgore Trout
YaBB Newbies

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Valve noise: how much is too much?
Reply #1 - 07/02/12 at 20:33:13

I meant to say, the bike has 6500 on the clock. The dealer said they'd changed all the fluids and checked everything out, but thinking back, I'm not sure if that included scheduled maintenance like checking the valves. Looking back, I didn't ask, and they didn't say, which probably means they didn't  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/02/12 at 21:01:47

Well,, call them up & axe them ifn they did the valves,,They were due at 5,000 miles

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 07/02/12 at 22:02:33

Why would you convert a Savage that you can ride for 5-6 hours at a lick into a RYCA that starts to hurt your body after riding 30 minutes to an hour?

Is appearance really more important than function to you?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 07/03/12 at 12:02:38

I do not have a RYCA but my answer would be yes, or else I'd be driving my car. Is the RYCA seat really that bad though, any riders?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 07/03/12 at 19:19:18

Kilgore, It's hard to say how much noise is too much. Mine makes all kinds of rackets at times. I've just been around engines so much I don't worry about it. When I was using 10w40 Castrol Actevo my engine was very noisy on a hot summer day after a 30 minute flogging around 75 or so. I switched to Rotella 15w40 dino oil to save money and get my friends to shut up. It is quieter now when it gets really hot. Don't know why or how...just is.

When I think I hear a strange noise I lift my shield up some and lean down behind my windshield at 60 or so. You will probably determine, like I do, this thing runs like a sewing machine. A loud sewing machine.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/03/12 at 19:34:36

The way I see it, an internal combustion engine otta last about 20 minutes before it blows up. These are about the most crude example of an engine Ive worked on. That they stay together is an amazement to me,.They vibrate pretty good, its really pretty danged big for a single, it has a low pressure oil system & the cam is at the veeeery top of it all,, just hopin to get enough oil to keep from galling the what? The WHAT?? The No Insert, Aluminum surface the cam spins in,, Whoever designed it must have been sitting on pins & needles during the first trial run. Praying the cam didnt just lunch the head,, & praying he would have his job at the end of the day.,,
& then theyr really forgiving, Ive heard of valves pretty far out of adjustment, still ran okay, not as spunky, & Noisy..

I do love me some internal combustion engines,, theyre just cool

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 07/03/12 at 19:40:00

Justin, remember the sound of a 235 Chevrolet six? The valves let you know it was doin' ok.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Kilgore Trout
YaBB Newbies

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - 07/03/12 at 20:25:04

Haha, thanks for the reassurance, guys. I have been paying a lot of attention to the noise in question and I've noticed that it's basically not present at start up, and then gets louder as the engine gets progressively warmer. I still wouldn't call the tap loud, and it's easy to lose track of in the exhaust noise, so I'm going to choose to believe that it's nothing serious for right now.

And oldfeller, you aren't going to get an argument from me. I've always liked the look of those old British bikes, and I think the ryca is a pretty cool riff on the theme. I bought the S40 thinking it would be an alright bike to cut my teeth on before ripping the tank, swing arm, and rear hub and sending them to California to get the cafe treatment. I honestly didn't expect to get as attached as I have to the bike in its current stock form.

Now I'm coming over all misty. I'm gonna go eat some raw meat and throw heavy things around for a while.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 07/03/12 at 21:02:44

Boofer wrote on 07/03/12 at 19:19:18:
Kilgore, It's hard to say how much noise is too much. Mine makes all kinds of rackets at times. I've just been around engines so much I don't worry about it. When I was using 10w40 Castrol Actevo my engine was very noisy on a hot summer day after a 30 minute flogging around 75 or so. I switched to Rotella 15w40 dino oil to save money and get my friends to shut up. It is quieter now when it gets really hot. Don't know why or how...just is.

When I think I hear a strange noise I lift my shield up some and lean down behind my windshield at 60 or so. You will probably determine, like I do, this thing runs like a sewing machine. A loud sewing machine.  Grin

I have experienced the same thing. Ever since I switched to Rotella T6 5W-40, it runs waaay quieter than before even after "flogging" it in the summer heat. In fact it seems to run better than the day I got it some 4 years and 14,000 miles ago. I haven't had to adjust the valves in two years. They are still the same specs as they were when I adjusted them back then. I'll never put another oil in there again.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve noise: how much is too much?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.